• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Points expiring - What are ALL of my options?

johnluyando

Reaction score
I have a contract that was just transferred to me. Due to the transfer process taking close to 8 months, I now have more points than I know what to do with. After making a few reservations (that I probably won't be able to use), I have 139,000 points leftover that are due to expire at the end of March. I know that I could transfer to RCI or donate the points but is there anything else that I should be considering? I would prefer something with a monetary benefit.

Thanks!

John

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Unless yo are donating vacations to friends or local groups (who can vacation in the next month and half) and paying or getting them to pay for guest certificates, I think it is probably too late to donate through Wyndham. Wyndham needs at least 3 months in order to get vacations in the hand of their charity groups.

The only way to monetize the points would be to make reservations and rent the reservations out.

talkamotta

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
This could happen to me also depending on how long wyndham takes. What kind of value do you get? I know it will be on the weeks side. How does Stoneham points when deposited into rci compare to tpus?

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
This could happen to me also depending on how long wyndham takes. What kind of value do you get? I know it will be on the weeks side. How does Stoneham points when deposited into rci compare to tpus?
They don't really compare to. Wyndham points use a grid based on size and season. So if you typically book fairly low tpu weeks, it will be more expensive using Wyndham points. If you typically book high tpu weeks - especially 1 BR or studio's with high tpu's then it will be a better bargain using Wyndham points.

As an example a 1 BR prime DVC Saratoga Springs booked 4 months prior would cost 105,000 Wyndham points. It could have a tpu value of 42. But you could also book a 4th tier 1 BR prime Orlando resort that has a tpu of 10, 6 months prior to check in. It would also have a cost of 105,000 Wyndham points.

talkamotta

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
When you deposit your points into rci, do you then get the two years to book? Or would it be better (or can i) move my points to the next year. I only have 185k points each year (just trying it out). My resort is Flagstaff, so maybe I could book a Flagstaff and try to get Durango to go with it. Outside of the school calendar. One of the reasons I bought into wyndham was so I could get into resorts that has been hard to get into through rci or II.

I've been a weeks owner for years, I like going to some resorts often, some yearly or eoy. But I like going to different places. Timesharing in the wyndham system.......another learning curve. Thanks to you all.

philemer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Schooner; Dikhololo, S.A.; Club Wyndham; Worldmark.
When you deposit your points into rci, do you then get the two years to book? Or would it be better (or can i) move my points to the next year. I only have 185k points each year (just trying it out). My resort is Flagstaff, so maybe I could book a Flagstaff and try to get Durango to go with it. Outside of the school calendar. One of the reasons I bought into wyndham was so I could get into resorts that has been hard to get into through rci or II..........

Yes, you get 2 yrs to use them after transferring to RCI.

Can't move pts into future years. Use, move to RCI or lose them. Reread all the posts above.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
You can only move your points to a future year during the first three months of the use year (longer for VIPs). That’s always my first choice when possible. We do use RCI but only deposit points once we know what we want to use them for.

A.Win

TUG Member
Reaction score
The only way to monetize the points would be to make reservations and rent the reservations out.

There is another way to monetize them. After the points are in your Wyndham RCI account, you can sell them to another Wyndham owner. The transfer to another owner is free. I have purchased these Wyndham RCI points from other owners that did not want to use them. But my offer is not very good simply because using RCI points require an exchange fee plus a guest fee. But this last resort scenario exists rather than simply letting them expire.

philemer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You can only move your points to a future year during the first three months of the use year (longer for VIPs). That’s always my first choice when possible........

Good to know. I thought that option went away when they dropped the "pooling" benefit.

1. If I do this before 3/31 do I still have the option of using them for a 2019 rez?
2. Is there a fee for moving them into 2020? Edit: It's $39.
3. Can I do this online or do I need to call? Edit: Just found the option under "Exchanges"
Thx

Last edited:

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good to know. I thought that option went away when they dropped the "pooling" benefit.

1. If I do this before 3/31 do I still have the option of using them for a 2019 rez?
2. Is there a fee for moving them into 2020?
3. Can I do this online or do I need to call? I looked online and couldn't find that option.

Thx
Go to My Ownership then click on Exchanges. It’s an option there along with RCI also with donating points
I think it’s $39.00 to deposit points in 2020 or 2021

philemer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Go to My Ownership then click on Exchanges. It’s an option there along with RCI also with donating points
I think it’s $39.00 to deposit points in 2020 or 2021

Thanks. Found all answers except: Can I use the pts I move into 2020 any time this year? I only have 105K now & can't make a 7 day rez. at the places I "might" go.

Example: If I move my 105K 2019 pts into 2020 now and later this yr. decide to book a 203K stay for Nov. 2019 I should be able to do that by adding in 98K of my 2020 use yr. points, right?

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Found all answers except: Can I use the pts I move into 2020 any time this year? I only have 105K now & can't make a 7 day rez. at the places I "might" go.

Example: If I move my 105K 2019 pts into 2020 now and later this yr. decide to book a 203K stay for Nov. 2019 I should be able to do that by adding in 98K of my 2020 use yr. points, right?
Only inside 90 days out in the Express reservation window when you can barrow points

philemer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks.

johnluyando

Reaction score
Thank you to all that provided some info. I transferred points to RCI. There was no fee to do so. We have more than enough Wyndham points for our yearly vacations. Is it possible to make an RCI reservation for friends or family? Does anyone have any RCI Resort recommendations? We didn't see anything that we were really impressed with. At least in the destinations in which we frequent.

philemer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you to all that provided some info. I transferred points to RCI. There was no fee to do so. We have more than enough Wyndham points for our yearly vacations. Is it possible to make an RCI reservation for friends or family? Does anyone have any RCI Resort recommendations? We didn't see anything that we were really impressed with. At least in the destinations in which we frequent.

To make a rez. for others you have tp purchase a Guest Cert. for ~$79. I did this last yr for my sis & I think the fee is close. You also pay an exchange fee of ??. How can we give you a recommendation when we don't know your favorite areas? :)

johnluyando

Reaction score
To make a rez. for others you have tp purchase a Guest Cert. for ~$79. I did this last yr for my sis & I think the fee is close. You also pay an exchange fee of ??. How can we give you a recommendation when we don't know your favorite areas? :)
Thanks for the info. I guess that I was looking for new destination suggestions. We usually visit Myrtle Beach (Ocean Blvd) and Orlando (Bonnet Creek) every year. We also spend a few weekends in Newport RI but typically just get a hotel room. If the wife and I get away by ourselves for a period of time it's usually to Mexico. (Happens every few years depending on how much we beg grandma and grandpa.) I guess our travel bucket list for the next few years would include DC, New Orleans and Atlantis but very open to new locations. Traveling with our 9 and 6 year old.