• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Let's talk about mandatory resale purchase strategy in the long term...

sudo

Reaction score
Greetings from a new member. I have loosely followed TUG over the years since my first visit to WSJ (maybe in 2009?) plus 3 more stays since. I've also stayed @ the Westin Princeville and currently staying a week at the Orlando SVV plus a night at the SVR.
I've attended a presentation at each of these resorts (for fun and learning) and even bought/rescinded a WSJ package (thanks TUG!!).

Westin St John is my favorite resort out of all, over the years. WSJ has endured as I've added my wife, 3 kids, inlaws, and sometimes my sister's family to my travels.
In any case, as I've mentioned, I had read enough here to have rescinded my WSJ purchase. And then I'd decided I should purchase a resale mandatory timeshare at either Westin Kierland or SVV Bella/Key West. You can probably guess my intent would be to swap into one of the WSJ units via SOs @ 8 months.
(For those of you new to all this, like me, the gist of this is the two mandatory resales I mention above have relatively low maintenance fees while including Star Options to the resale purchaser; SOs are currency which can be used to book other resorts across the VSE network - so basically I'd buy something cheap to get into something more desirable like WSJ, with a bunch of caveats.)

Now I'm turing to you all for some help, because these new presentations I attend are talking about the (new to me) Sheraton Flex program which allow booking 12 mo out within the respective Flex network, and then 8 mo across the SVN network. And then of course I wonder about the long term effect of VSE ownership by MVC. And so, I am beginning to wonder if my above strategy still holds water today, and what does the future look like? My fear in a nutshell is that the SOs I purchase on the resale market will effectively be diluted when it comes to booking WSJ and other similar resorts.

Now here I will try to distill some points from my research in the past couple days:
(1) There are 3 Flex programs, each with their own Flex network:
Westin Flex; 7 resorts situated @ west USA
Sheraton Flex; 6 resorts situated @ east USA + AZ & CO
Westin Aventuras; 2 resorts in Mexico
(2) Flex inventory is separate from other program inventory, and so there should not be competition with the mandatory inventory @ 12 months booking, but...
(3) At 8 months, all the inventory across all the programs are open to both Flex and Mandatory options (and here is where I am interested in using SOs to book places like WSJ)
(4) Flex resale is subject to ROFR, and if passes, the Flex options are transferred to the buyer
(5) There are other inventory pools sold @ certain phases of certain resorts (with things like Home Options?) which I am not familiar enough with to more than mention here. I perceive these to not be a significant factor, but please correct me if wrong.

And so I think point (3) is really where I need to pay attention, as my primary use of a resale WKV/SVV would be to use SOs @ 8 months to book WSJ and elsewhere.
So here is where I start to draw my own conclusions:
(a) if Flex inventory (generated either via new development, or buyback of legacy inventory) is separate from other inventory the ratio of owners:inventory competing @ the 8 mo pool should remains the same - this is a good thing
(b) But if much of the retail Flex inventory came from purchasing voluntary resale inventory and re-selling it as Flex, this puts more Flex options into play @ 8 mo - not a good thing!
(c) If Flex options are passed to resale buyers, these Flex options will remain in play @ 8 mo bookings over time as Flex resales take place - again not a good thing (is this right?)

My quick thoughts on this (thanks for reading - getting tired). (A) is somewhat related to owner:inventory ratio is theoretically fixed and limited and if there were no resale, then all the available VSE currency would remain in play @ 8 mo. However, since a lot of resale happened where options didn't transfer, the mandatory owners have traditionally enjoyed a benefit from those options essentially disappearing. I think (B) is pulling those "disappeared" options back into the Flex network, diluting Star Options @ 8 mo and will continue to do so until Flex sales have run course. And (C) (if I'm right about that) means the dilution is permanent, or at least, survives resale. And so B & C are returning the pool of currency in play @ 8 months back to that theoretical limit.

Unfortunately I still haven't figure out if the mandatory purchase strategy is viable. Only that I think it won't be as great as in the past.

Am I right about any of this? Do I have any wrong info? Do you all think I'm making sense? Surely there are factors I have missed that you can point out.
Thanks! Cheers!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
You are asking the right questions, but I think you are overthinking this. (Which is much better than under-thinking it!) If your objective is WSJ - buy resale at WSJ. IMNSHO, this is always going to be the least expensive & most reliable way to regularly visit a specific resort.

If in 10 years it's no longer working for you, you dump it and say thanks for the memories. If the thought of that happening is not palatable to you, then you probably need to take some more time before you buy.

*One more note: If you can't pay cash for the TS you want to buy, it's probably not for you at this time. If you have to finance it, that kills the value of owning a timeshare.

*One more note #2: Many of the regulars on TUG have bought and sold 10-20 timeshares - some even more. That's because, as time goes forward, your family and vacation needs will change, and you will find opportunities to acquire timeshares for cheap or free, that you just can't resist. So when you acquire a timeshare, you aren't necessarily married to it - you may just be dating. ;)

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
One more thing to add is that resale Flex Options (Westin, Sheraton and Aventuras) loses the ability to book into other resorts at 8 months. Only developer purchases Flex Options carry the ability to book into other resorts at 8 months.

sudo

Reaction score
Wow thanks for all the advice so far. I just jumped on a plane so I'll have to reply in detail later.

I get the advice to buy WSJ if that's what I want. But I am admittedly a deal hunter, to a fault at times. I'm thinking I can snag WSJ most years at half the maintenance $$ (plus experience the other resorts in VSE network over time).

I'll pay cash whichever way I decide. BTW I'm shooting for a starter of 95700 SOs and see how that goes. I'm willing to wait for a good deal so I don't feel so bad if I decide to flip it.

But back to my original ramblings - if flex options don't survive resale then that's good news! That would maintain the pool of currency@ 8 months in a similar dynamic as today.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
if flex options don't survive resale then that's good news!

That's not quite it: The new resale owner gets the Flexoptions - but the do not get the Staroptions. So on a resale, a Flexoption owner can only make reservations for the resorts in their group - they can't make Staroption reservations at 8 months for resorts outside their group.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
That's not quite it: The new resale owner gets the Flexoptions - but the do not get the Staroptions. So on a resale, a Flexoption owner can only make reservations for the resorts in their group - they can't make Staroption reservations at 8 months for resorts outside their group.

I think what sudo meant was that resale FlexOption owners cannot reserve any Vistana property at the eight month mark, ie. they cannot raid the StarOptions pool; they can only reserve a unit in that trust.

My advice would be to purchase a Westin Kierland two bedroom for ~$15K and see how reserving WSJ using StarOptions works. If it does, great; if not, add a resale WSJ and rent out the Kierland at a very large profit, covering the too-high MF's at WSJ.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Deleted so as not to cause confusion.

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
If you want WSJ - buy WSJ (resale).
Depending on SOs to exchange into WSJ is dodgy (unless you are very flexible travel-wise, and okay with consistent searching - and likely going in low season).

Buy VGV (resale) if you can go the same week every year. Plus, VGV Plat+ has the lowest MF/SO in VSE (at least for a Mandatory Resort).

If you are looking at flexibility for WSJ travel - then buy the other phases (resale) if you can target a particular season and/or villa type. But remember only VGV is VSN Mandatory.

Only consider an SO exchange into WSJ in low (low) season - end Aug thru early Nov.

Enjoy!
WKV Plat is also great - but for other reasons.
We own both WSJ-VGV and WKV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Therefore, Westin Flex/Sheraton Flex resale owners are only able to make Home Resort Reservation which limits them to reservations at the 8-12 months range and to the resorts within their respective Flex pool.

I don't think that is correct: Remember, that people who own voluntary VSE timeshares with no Staroptions are not bound by the Home Resort Reservation period. If you own a floating voluntary week, you can reserve your home resort whenever it is available - not just 12-8 mos. before check-in. I think the same will apply to resale Flex owners.

Last edited:

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
I don't think that is correct: Remember, that people who own voluntary VSE timeshares with no Staroptions are not bound by the Home Resort Reservation period. If you own a floating voluntary week, you can reserve your home resort whenever it is available - not just 12-8 mos. before check-in. I think the same will apply to resale Flex owners.

We actually agree. It's just that a resale FlexOption owner's "home resort" is the bundle of weeks deeded to the FlexOptions trust. The owner may reserve any of these "home resort" weeks at any time (it doesn't matter whether this is at 8-12 months or at 0-8 months) but is not entitled to reserve any week at any resort that may happen to have units in the FlexOptions trust.

So, for example, if an owner of WestinFlex wants to reserve a Kierland week, he may only reserve a Kierland week that is owned by the WestinFlex trust -- regardless of when he makes the reservation. (Kierland is mandatory for weeks owners; WestinFlex owners own a beneficial interest in the WestinFlex Trust; they do not own an interest in the resorts that the trust owns.)

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Robert, you are correct, but that was not what I was responding to. I was responding to the statement below, which is incorrect: Voluntary Owners are not limited to making reservations in the 8-12 mo. range:
Therefore, Westin Flex/Sheraton Flex resale owners are only able to make Home Resort Reservation which limits them to reservations at the 8-12 months range and to the resorts within their respective Flex pool.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX

I've deleted so as not to cause confusion.

sudo

Reaction score
Ah ok, thanks! just to set the record straight, I simply replied too hastily and this is essentially my interpretation as well. Which is good for my particular scenario of using SOs to book WSJ as non home resort.

sudo

Reaction score
Buy VGV (resale) if you can go the same week every year. Plus, VGV Plat+ has the lowest MF/SO in VSE (at least for a Mandatory Resort)...
This I didn't know. I'll have a look. Thanks

Venter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Club Son Antem, Marriott's Lakeshore Reserve, Marriott Vacation Club @ Los Suenos, MVC points, Sheraton Lakeside Terrace, Sheraton Flex, Westin Flex, Aventuras
I did not know that Flex options has ROFR. I see some VOI's that only go for a few hundred dollars on Ebay.

Smithsingeneva

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN (resale)
If you want WSJ - buy WSJ (resale).
Depending on SOs to exchange into WSJ is dodgy (unless you are very flexible travel-wise, and okay with consistent searching - and likely going in low season).

I have owned a WKORVN on a resale (thanks, TUG) for the past 5 years. I have kids and am tied to school schedules - I have never been able to find a WSJ unit on SOs during the times we’ve wanted to vacation and for the unit size we needed.

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have owned a WKORVN on a resale (thanks, TUG) for the past 5 years. I have kids and am tied to school schedules - I have never been able to find a WSJ unit on SOs during the times we’ve wanted to vacation and for the unit size we needed.

ive found you are lucky to see a single unit available using SOs during school holidays and it usually disappears in minutes

sudo

Reaction score
Your and my situations are very similar; this may be the best input I've gotten yet, in combination with those urging me to just buy WSJ. Thanks for reading ans responding.

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
As a fellow WSJ (and St John) lover that always wanted to go on Staroptions, I will share my experience. Except for this coming year, (insert long dramatic horrible closing company story here), I have almost always been able to get in for my birthday week in October using Staroptions. However, it was never EXACTLY the kind of unit I wanted, it was whatever I could grab fast enough at midnight as soon as the SO window opens. (Word of advice: grab the largest unit first, because the others may be gone by the time you are done with the first reservation). I got so tired of it that I finally got a fixed week fixed unit pool villa on EBay (seriously look on there NOW) so I can have my week without the hassle of staying up, stressing out, and making do with what I didn’t really want and having to tell people that they might be able to come IF I can get them a room. So now I have extra Staroptions. I will wait and see how the Vistana / Marriott merger plays out and I MAY get rid of my SVV unit, and use the Other Staroptions generators to try to extend my annual birthday stay. The MF is way more expensive, but I will let go of some other timeshares that I don’t care about to afford it. I learnt from experience that easier is better when it comes to booking timeshares, even if it is a little more expensive.

ETA: I WAS able to get a 2 Bed TH unit for Spring Break ONCE, but I think that was strictly pure luck and I have NEVER been able to repeat the feat. So, I wouldn’t count on getting ANY high season inventory, even getting low season is almost Impossible.

carpie99

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you want WSJ ... buy WSJ resale ... the MF are expensive (but that is because it is worth it).