• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Did you ever regret selling a timeshare?

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I've bought and sold a number of timeshares over the years, and each for a good reason at the time. I'm happy with what I currently own, but I often think of the great vacations I had at the resorts I used to own. I wonder now and then why I convinced myself to sell those resorts. Some were in prime locations, some were excellent traders, and all contributed to my timeshare experience education. I sometimes miss "my" oceanfront unit on Kauai, or that amazing trader that got me to New York City.

How about you? Have you ever sold a timeshare and later wonder why you did that to yourself?

Dave

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I am in that dilemma now. I have too many and all are great places to go and great traders. I have to choose which ones to gift and I know it doesn't matter which ones I choose. I will always wonder why that one, I loved it. I love them all, just too many.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
I haven’t sold a timeshare yet but will tell you when, and if, I ever sell my summer week at Grand Pacific Palisades it will be a sad day indeed. Many have said that timeshares are only good for an investment in vacation memories. This will be the 7th year for us and we have memories that will last a lifetime. My boys are soon to be 10 and 13 years old and I know that our days with them as little wide eyed kids who still think I am a hero are numbered. Until they get old enough to no longer find it cool to vacation with mom and dad we will continue to rack up these lifelong memories.

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
I haven’t sold a timeshare yet but will tell you when, and if, I ever sell my summer week at Grand Pacific Palisades it will be a sad day indeed. Many have said that timeshares are only good for an investment in vacation memories. This will be the 7th year for us and we have memories that will last a lifetime. My boys are soon to be 10 and 13 years old and I know that our days with them as little wide eyed kids who still think I am a hero are numbered. Until they get old enough to no longer find it cool to vacation with mom and dad we will continue to rack up these lifelong memories.

We thought that too with our 3 kids. We purchased BC (before children) so they all grew up timesharing. Our oldest was 9 weeks old for his first stay. There was a period when the boys were in their late teens that they didn't want to come with us due to work or just not wanting to hang with mom & dad. Our DD has never stopped wanting to come with us, she is now 30. Whenever I mention booking a timeshare she always says make sure and get a 2 bedroom! Now that our boys (33 & 35) are married with kids of their own, they look upon a vacation with the parents as vacationing with built in babysitters. Several times I have booked 2 or 3 units so the 'kids' can have their own unit and the grands can stay with them or us. Quality family time, it's a win for everybody! :thumbup:

~Diane

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Not yet. Almost deeded back our Smugglers Notch weeks (2), but then changed my mind. (hubby would be ok with giving them back or so he says). We have owned there since 1999 (and had visited there 2x before that before we bought) and actually this is the last year our benefits package is in effect, though we have not used them in many years. We are not renewing them as we have no grandchildren and don't see the value in them for us. We just use the condo and our pool and clubhouse and explore the area and Vermont. We might do a fee based activity if we so desire.

I know when the time comes to get rid of it it will definitely be a very sad time. Owning there has been like being part of a community- like coming "home", but since the resort went to RCI points and now Wyndham the vibe has changed a bit. Thankfully, we do still see some of the same folks each year by the pool.

Our son still likes to come and visit with us there so that is another plus since we don't get to see him. (he lives 2.5 hours away). He still likes coming at 31 years old and I know he will also be sad when it goes. If he could afford it, it would be nice for him to take it over- but he can't and he also is single so no family that would really benefit from it's use.

So many memories and great experiences.

We will probably keep the Pollard Brook week for awhile after getting rid of the Smuggs weeks since it is just 1/2 hour from where our son lives and we have only owned there since 2015. (we had rented there a couple of times- for XMAS- from an owner before we bought.)

With me retired and my husband close to his, we will have a lot on our plates. Figuring out our finances with a newly hired FA, Medicare and health insurance for me, SS options, selling our home and moving out of state and all the logistics that come with that, and- yes- eventually divesting ourselves of the timeshare(s).

OR- we could keep them. Use them like we do now- exchange if we want to. I mean- we still will want to go on vacations in retirement.

But we will see what happens because life is what happens when you're making other plans. For now, keeping them, as they still give us a lot of pleasure and something to look forward to during the year.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I've bought and sold a number of timeshares over the years, and each for a good reason at the time. I'm happy with what I currently own, but I often think of the great vacations I had at the resorts I used to own. I wonder now and then why I convinced myself to sell those resorts. Some were in prime locations, some were excellent traders, and all contributed to my timeshare experience education. I sometimes miss "my" oceanfront unit on Kauai, or that amazing trader that got me to New York City.

How about you? Have you ever sold a timeshare and later wonder why you did that to yourself?

Dave

Dave- I don't think I could have parted with an oceanfront condo in Kauai! Ugh!

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Two, my Imperial Hawaii and Paniolo Greens. The Imperal was a great trader and Paniolo Greens rented well and I would have used it for another visit to the Big Island that I am long over due for.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
We have sold three over the years and upgraded our portfolio. We are very happy with our current portfolio, so don’t miss what we used to own.

Thunderbird Resort in Sparks, NV was our first purchase and was a bad decision. However, we traded it and got our value out of it before giving it back to them in exchange for not paying the small amount of MF’s due.

The Cliffs Club on Kauai was our second ownership and we liked the resort, but didn’t need a 2BR, one of which was a loft, which couldn’t be locked off, so we sold it through a broker. Again, we got our value out of it over the years.

The third one we bought was Welk Resorts (Platinum Points Program). We liked the resort, but the location wasn’t ideal as our interests changed. We definitely got our value out of this one too and sold it back to Welk.

Ironically, once I found TUG and learned so much about other systems, and we became empty nesters, our interests evolved and we upgraded to our current portfolio. Again, very happy that we did that and we are enjoying every bit of it.

Best regards.

Mike

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
We also sold to upgrade.

We sold our WKORV-OV and bought a WKORV-OF.

We sold four Starwood traders (SBP and SDO) and bought shoulder season Kierland units with StarOptions. We usually do the same Vistana preference Interval trades as before, but we now have StarOptions as an alternative or backup.

No regrets; we took advantage of bargains during the Great Recession (there still are bargains).

JohnPaul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
Over the last 30 years I’ve only purchased. So no sales to regret.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Dave- I don't think I could have parted with an oceanfront condo in Kauai! Ugh!

It was a hard choice. But after a dozen trips, it was just about the only place we were going. I decided it was time to spread the wealth a bit. Now I have WorldMark, which also has an oceanfront location on Kauai. So if I really want to go back, we can do that. But there was something really nice about that other resort. After we're both retired and can travel more, I may buy it again. Maybe. :)

Dave

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Dave - I knew you would regret giving up KBV! ;)

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
No regrets in selling some of the timeshares we had because we acquired them to sell or rent at profit. Looked for low mf popular destination in decent quality resorts with low to no transfer fees or the ability to trade. We did use most of the timeshares we bought and managed to take the family on trips to Disney World, Disney Land, Mexico, Hawaii and the Pacific coast beaches.

I liked them all !!!

Bill

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

Only when the weather here is totally crap. Well, ok, yes. I regret it. Happy now? LOL! :D

Dave

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Yep! :D

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
No regrets, but I do miss the flexibility and access we had into the Hilton system by way of our resale ownership at the Bay Club. We never actually stayed at the Bay Club during the seven years we owned it, but we did use it for great trades, including our trip of a lifetime to Italy through RCI. And we enjoyed visits to Halekulani and Hilton Hawaiian Village through internal trades. Ultimately, we gave it up because Hawaii maintenance fees are so high. We used the proceeds of the sale to help with our first purchase into Hyatt, and we love the Hyatt system—and we were able to land an internal trade last year into Hyatt Ka’anapali Beach Club, so we still have access to Hawaii.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
I've bought and sold a number of timeshares over the years, and each for a good reason at the time. ..........

I sometimes miss "my" oceanfront unit on Kauai, .....
Dave

If KBV = Kauai Beach Villas

There are a couple of free 2 bedroom units on Timeshare Nation
EOY even - ( 2 listed)
EOY- odd - (1 listed)

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We have only gotten rid of one timeshare RVC Platinum. We used it mainly for the Cabo Resort - next to the Westin. We did use it once for Cancun to discover we did not like Cancun. We sent people to Hawaii twice and we once traded through RCI for Bali Hai. I do miss sitting on the Patio watching the Whales. There have been several on the Market but Patti has been very clear no additional MF's.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I kicked myself in the butt for many years after selling my Monarch Crown Suite. But in hindsight I made a good decision. The MFs are now outrageous and I sold it for $41,000. But I do still miss it...

George

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
Two, my Imperial Hawaii and Paniolo Greens. The Imperal was a great trader and Paniolo Greens rented well and I would have used it for another visit to the Big Island that I am long over due for.

I can see remorse over Paniolo Greens. One of our favorites in Hawaii for sure!

My first ever trip to Hawaii was an exchange there in August 2000; and I was hooked. DH and I have been there twice since, both for two weeks in the same unit.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
Fortunately for me/us . . . no regrets.

I loved owning the two Fairfield turned Wyndham fixed weeks we had (Kingsgate 3BR lock-off, week 18 and Flagstaff 2BR, week 13) . . . but when the RCI/Wyndham trading preference went away, these two didn't trade as strongly as they had. So they became expendable . . . which also came about the same time I discovered timeshare for RV bartering in Alaska :)