• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Discussion about Last Minute Rentals forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
about the only reasonable and fair increase would be to base it on the average maint fee...which of course goes up year after year.

however even after many years, its still in the $850/yr range. I fear that even increasing it to that will both:

1. not make the folks who want it higher happy
2. not make the folks who want it to stay happy
3. increase the number of emails/pms I get from folks who fall into categories 1 and 2 =D

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
about the only reasonable and fair increase would be to base it on the average maint fee...which of course goes up year after year.

however even after many years, its still in the $850/yr range. I fear that even increasing it to that will both:

1. not make the folks who want it higher happy
2. not make the folks who want it to stay happy
3. increase the number of emails/pms I get from folks who fall into categories 1 and 2 =D

Some compromise is better then none. When people are unhappy on both sides the compromise is successfully met.

Another suggestion, do you have the average on unit size ? What if we did a breakdown on studio, one bedroom, 2 bedroom, etc. For example, based on average range, you can only charge for a studio a maximum of xxx a day, for a one bedroom you can only charge a maximum of yyy a day, etc.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
eh, that just gets into the realm of extremely difficult to moderate..especially given how many folks fail to abide by the existing 700/wk rules!

Robert D

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I suggest increasing the rate to $150 per night. People don't have to pay it if they don't want but you'll get a lot better quality of resort and more peak season listings in the forum at $150 vs. the $100 it's been at for the 10+ years I've been a member of TUG.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I do not believe "getting more ads" in the lmr section is the goal of that forum or we would have changed the limit long ago.

as posted above, there are hundreds of ads in the LMR section of the marketplace where there is no cap on the price, just the available dates.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
I do not believe "getting more ads" in the lmr section is the goal of that forum or we would have changed the limit long ago.

as posted above, there are hundreds of ads in the LMR section of the marketplace where there is no cap on the price, just the available dates.

Hmmm...maybe the LMR needs to drop to $300 forcing more ads in the Marketplace.
Today the LMR forum posters have an advantage over TUG MARKETPLACE Ads simply because these posts appear in the unread and recent post list. There is no way to ignore them.

Maybe the LMR should be a subforum of the Buying, Selling and Renting Timeshares Forum vs a separate forum. Today’s separate forum provides more advertisement exposure to these LMR ads over all other ads in the Marketplace.

Can we update the banner to reflect something like the following....

LAST MINUTE RENTAL POSTING LIMITS
You may offer or request weeks beginning no later than
April 05, 2019
Maximum asking price in public posts is $700/week or $100/night.
The TUG Timeshare Marketplace has thousands more rentals available
! (LINK)

5BBDE846-4C43-48A1-B4ED-1C871662FF17.jpeg

Last edited:

Robert D

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

I would think the goal of the forum is to help as many TUG members as possible to find last minute accommodations to places they want to go. At $100 a night you won't find many listings for peak season in high demand areas such as Vail, CO during the ski season.

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
I think the "Wanted" LMR shoots TUG in the foot more than anything. This is what is giving TUG the "cheap" look people refer too IMHO.

You have a place to go and put your wish in and get them filled at a reasonable price. I have done this and it works well.

Again I've always felt if I could get a vacation at "your" cost, no mark up, I would be happy exspecually prime time.

We all think our MF's on our weeks saves us money owning vs renting, that's why we OWN them.

All that own timeshares I would think would be onboard with this. Those who only rent / or run a business looking for others to rent will not.
This LMR wanted is quite the asset to those in business filling client requests.

Bringing a standard up in value of our timeshares to at least equal a "hotel" stay would be a good thing.
I for one love my roomy timeshare at the cost of a Holiday Inn thinking how good I have it!

Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@alwysonvac nailed a key issue: The LMR gets top billing on the new post threads in the forum so every new LMR listing gets highlighted but the regular Last minute deals don't.

IMHO...Here are my suggestions:

1) Flip the LMR forum to list the regular price LM deals (paid with ad credits) and highlight those via the forum latest posting list so people can see the places they may want to go. Owners are paying for their listing, so they should get top billing. There is still too much effort to find regular LM listings and check regularly. As you can see, many comments here (including me) didn't even know the regular LM listings existed. This will reduce the friction to see these. Renters and owners can negotiate price if the renter doesn't like the rate.

2) Make the $100 LMR forum a private forum requiring TUG membership. This will require those who want the killer deals to join TUG as table stakes.

3) Increase the LMR forum to $125/night and increase it 3% a year. $100 is just way low given hotel rates these days.

4) Remove the $100/night cap to the last minute requests to remove the precedent and make it simply LM request. Let the renter and owner work out a fair price.

I understand the concern about not making everyone happy, however giving renters (who don't even need to join TUG) lower than hotel price deals to the detriment of owners and setting $100 precedent that cannibalizes and harasses marketplace ad buyers is not good.

TUG is awesome. These changes would help make it even better.

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
the LMR forum is one of the main draws for new members to find TUG...it certainly wont be made private. cutting off potential renters from viewing ads would be the exact opposite of the entire point of the LMR forum IMO.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I usually ignore the LMR. I could offer something that someone is looking for, but certainly NOT at $100 a night. Especially where they are asking for (NY, Hawaii etc) or the size of units (2 BRs and even 3 and 4 BRs).

I am sure there are those that do post for wanted requests, but I refuse, no point in getting beaten over the head. No good deed goes unpunished.

Brian will ultimately decide if there are any changes. I will ultimately decide if I participate, based on what if any changes occur. I think we are just setting ourselves up for responding to these requests.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
It makes sense that you don't want to make the Redweek mistake i.e. renters cannot see the listings unless they join. If it is not a huge engineering task, perhaps making unit ad and price public but to contact the owner to ask questions/rent that info is private and requires TUG membership. Certainly that should help offset the costs of your IT efforts to support the forum. :)

This would also reduce tire-kickers and bottom-feeding harassers because they are too cheap or are not serious enough to pony up $15 to save a bundle. One of my concerns as an advertiser is that I don't want my contact information and name public on the Internet where scammers and hackers can easily screen-scrape and sell my contact info. I don't want to attract more robo calls and spam!

Last edited:

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Seems like a lost cause. I had wanted it to be changed years ago as I had 4 bedroom presidential units or 3 bedroom oceanfront where $100 a night ($99 for guest fee) is not enough to list it.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I will say it again, some compromise is better then none.

Using the average mf would be a compromise. Neither side would be very happy but it would be more fair based on real data.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
I know I’m beating a dead horse but I’ll still don’t think it’s fair that a subset of LMR ads receive preferential treatment :shrug:
- only their ads appear in the unread and recent post list.
- only their ads get a dedicated forum on TUG which appears near the top (5th and 6th on the list) of online discussion forums.

NOTE: Folks have been challenging the $700 limit for 15+ years (see old threads below)
  • “How long has the $100 LMRental fee been in place & how much has yours gone up since?” (2016 thread with 148 posts - link)
  • “Just wondering...why the $700 limit for last minute rentals?” (2014 thread with 255 posts - link)
  • “Can we revisit the $700 maximum for a last minute rental” (2009 thread with 63 posts - link)
  • Tons of rentals in Rentals Offered---new phenomena? (2008 thread with 74 posts - link)
  • Last Minute Rental asking price (2005 thread with 105 posts - link)

While the LMR stayed fixed, here’s how my annual MF for Las Vegas and Orlando increased during this same timeframe
https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/maintenance-fee-history.269296/#post-2101417

By the way, according to the attached June 2018 ARDA news release, average MF is closer to $1000. - “Annual maintenance fees averaged $980 in 2017, remaining relatively flat with a one percent increase over 2016.”

Attachments

• US Timeshare Industry Sees Eighth Straight Year of Growth.pdf
    121.5 KB · Views: 35

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I think we will give a shot at increasing the limit to 115/day or $800 a week on a trial basis to see how it goes.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think we will give a shot at increasing the limit to 115/day or $800 a week on a trial basis to see how it goes.
Let us all support this decision. I know some will be upset it was raised, others will feel it’s not enough. It a compromise.

I will say thank you for trying it out.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)

Thank you TUGBrian :thumbup:

Can we try trial something else as well? I would like permission to copy information from the weekly TUG newsletter to the TUG LMR forum.

Here’s my thought if it’s ok with you.

For example this Saturday’s newsletter had the following

AC544364-B08A-47FD-9D1C-90FC10996229.png

I would copy the information each week and paste it into a new thread in the LMR FORUM.

01BBCFAE-0D69-4A47-B3E4-CBC6D9A7EE43.png

This would be a way of alerting folks to the LMR ads on the TUG Marketplace since most visitors go directly to the ads (ignoring the sticky threads).

Just a thought :cool:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
no because those marketplace ads do not conform to the LMR price limits.

A.Win

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a different LMR suggestion. Can we sort them by date of availability? That is much more useful than sorting them by the date of posting.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
And who or what do you think will sort forum posts by date of rental availability and update every time a new post is added?

Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Hi @TUGBrian. Thanks for making the change. I have never posted in the LM rentals section nor rented so I don't have a horse in this race. However I believe the $125 price is fairer to owners and closer to recouping part of their MF.

FWIW...I never realized until this thread that there were two LM forums (bargain LM forum and regular LM). I always thought that the LM Forum had all the LM timeshares available. I am sure I am not the only one to confused this - and I follow TUG more closely than the general population.

I believe what @alwysonvac is suggesting is about also providing better visibility to the regular LM listings. IMO...To help you visualize it could look something similar to how Bargain Deals are managed with Buying, Selling, Renting Forum. So in this case Main Title would be "Last Minute Rentals." "Bargain LM Rentals" would be = "Bargain Deals." and there would be a separate subforum for "Last Minute Rentals" with the regular rentals.

upload_2019-2-20_7-37-39.png

If it were me, I would enable the bargain renters to look publicly, but require them to join TUG and login to contact owners ask questions or rent. This also gives the owner a sense of who they are renting to because they see a TUG profile and reduces tire-kickers. Plus you recoup some of your investment in supporting the bargain LM forum. :thumbup:

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
FWIW...I never realized until this thread that there were two LM forums (bargain and regular).

There are not 2 LMR Forums. Bargain Deals is for free timeshares deeds that are being given away. There is no cross over and they should not be combined.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
There are not 2 LMR Forums. Bargain Deals is for free timeshares deeds that are being given away. There is no cross over.
I think she means the LMR forum (bargain as it has price limits) and the LM marketplace ads

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I think she means the LMR forum (bargain as it has price limits) and the LM marketplace ads

Yes, that is what I meant. I used the Bargain Deals in the Buying Selling Forum as an example of what it could look like as a subforum for LM Rentals to help visualize:

"Bargain LM Rentals" replacing "Bargain Deals."

"Last Minute Rentals' Replacing "Buying, Selling..." title

P.S. I edited the original post to be clearer.

Status
Not open for further replies.