• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Retracing your steps in your mind

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Cliff drives me up the wall several times a month because he refuses to "retrace his steps in his mind". He simply has no interest in such an exercise, and in fact I find myself wondering if he is actually unable to do this. To me it is so natural "I walked in the door, let the cats in, then the phone rang as I was on the way to the bathroom...". I'm not always successful, but the exercise is second nature to me and he looks at me like I've lost my mind when I try to get him to figure out where he might have left something.

My purse usually lives in my office, but it came upstairs with us last Thursday after my tooth extraction. He had to take me to an emergency chiro appt this morning and had to go back upstairs for my purse. Sitting in the doctor's office, I found ants in my purse as I was looking for my insurance card. Lots of ants. Cliff, where did you find my purse? I don't remember (at this point only ten minutes have passed between finding purse and my question). Finish the paperwork and again I say, where was my purse because wherever it was I need to go back and look for ants. Nothing. Asked him at least twice more over the course of the day and the whole "walk upstairs, figure out where we set Faith's purse, bring it downstairs to her" is as if it never happened.

Of course the item I'm usually trying to help him find by retracing his steps is his sunglasses case! He solved that issue by having three pair, but eventually all three have temporarily disappeared.

rboesl

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
Reminds me of a meme I saw once: "I finally remembered why I walked into a room. It was the bathroom, but still." Not all minds work the same way. For instance, I remember the words to literally thousands of songs. But, only when I hear the music. I also remember subject matter I was studying when hearing certain songs. But, unless I establish the habit of leaving my keys in the same place all the time I couldn't find them to save my life.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Several years ago Patti stored her Shot Card and Washington CCW in a safe place. She has not been able to find them since.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
This drives me CRAZY! My family is with Cliff when something is "lost", by me or anyone else. They simply say "I don't know where it is," and that's it. I then have to put my hypnosis-therapist hat on and walk them through what they did, which is like pulling teeth.

Eventually, I get them to do it and they are simply amazed how we found what was missing, etc. :crash:

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
This drives me CRAZY! My family is with Cliff when something is "lost", by me or anyone else. They simply say "I don't know where it is," and that's it. I then have to put my hypnosis-therapist hat on and walk them through what they did, which is like pulling teeth.

Eventually, I get them to do it and they are simply amazed how we found what was missing, etc. :crash:

Are they any better at finding things in the refrigerator? For Pete's sake Cliff, move a few things around! He stands there with the door open, totally clueless!

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
If I misplace something- being the OCD nut that I am- my brain will not rest until I analyze to death what could have become of it. It could be the most insignificant thing- I still have to try to figure it out.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Are they any better at finding things in the refrigerator? For Pete's sake Cliff, move a few things around! He stands there with the door open, totally clueless!

OMG! That is Anthony- my hubby! Drives me insane! I tell him- "BEND OVER! for pete's sake!!!

tiel

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I was a youngster, my mother bought all us kids jigsaw puzzles for Christmas. She tucked them away so we wouldn’t find them. When Christmas finally rolled around, she couldn’t remember where she had stowed them. Nor could we find for months afterward.

From that point on, everything that was lost in our house was said to be “with the puzzles”. Still use that today in my own house.

Btw, we were somewhat unhappy when we found the puzzles...it was so much more fun not knowing!

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
My other half misplaces his phone and keys often. He will retrace his steps and even look places he wasn’t. I watch and when he comes to ask me to help find the missing item, I usually find it within a few minutes. He looks at the obvious, I look elsewhere.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
But, only when I hear the music. I also remember subject matter I was studying when hearing certain songs. But, unless I establish the habit of leaving my keys in the same place all the time I couldn't find them to save my life.

Interesting! I can only remember the tune to a song if I know the words. If someone gets me started with the words I have a good chance on the tune, but a tune by itself will not stick in my brain.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Somehow, just somehow, I sense a Netflix/Amazon Prime mini series possibility here........:D

rboesl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
Somehow, just somehow, I sense a Netflix/Amazon Prime mini series possibility here........:D

Actually, to me, it sounds more like a Seinfeld episode they missed. :thumbup:

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Today I took Felix for a walk at the Dog Park. It is a huge area on Minto Brown Island Park. Multiple trails, high grass, trees, large fields, etc. As a GSP Felix loves it. So we get back to the truck no keys. I am pretty sure I knew the area I lost them. But I decided to redo the walk in the same order we had done the original mile plus. That way I would be walking on the same trails on the same side, etc. I did find the keys. They were where I thought I had lost them.

geekette

Reaction score
Oh boy, I have to add this for chuckles.

One day, I just got fed up with then-husband's doing same - open fridge and look in it. Then ask me, usually in a different room, "do we have any...." He interrupted me so often for stuff he didn't know if we had that this particular day, it was final straw.

I went in and stepped in front of him at fridge. Demonstrated how knees bend in order to gain visual on other shelves. Our shelves happen to be clear and pull out. I demonstrated how a shelf could be slid out to see what's on it. I also demonstrated how items could be moved to look behind them. No, I was not demonstrating sweetly, I was condescending. I was very very mad, but I tend to get quieter when angry, not louder. I was carefully controlled, completely fed up with him.

I then went on to explain that it was not true that the uterus is a tracking device. Men are supposed to be hunters, hunt down what you are looking for and leave me out of it. I don't ever want to be interrupted again to be asked about something you can find out for yourself. I ended with I Am Not Your Mommy.

That solved the problem for me. No, this had nothing to do with our eventual divorce.

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
Confession time: I almost always enter Costco without noting the precise location of my parking spot. Perhaps this is because I park, whenever possible, in the same general area. My car's "panic button" on the remote has a range of about 20 feet, so that's no help.

But I don't think it's ever taken more than 10 minutes to find it ......

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Confession time: I almost always enter Costco without noting the precise location of my parking spot. Perhaps this is because I park, whenever possible, in the same general area. My car's "panic button" on the remote has a range of about 20 feet, so that's no help.

BIG SIGH! :)

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.

One day, I just got fed up with then-husband's doing same - open fridge and look in it. Then ask me, usually in a different room, "do we have any...." He interrupted me so often for stuff he didn't know if we had that this particular day, it was final straw.

I went in and stepped in front of him at fridge. Demonstrated how knees bend in order to gain visual on other shelves. Our shelves happen to be clear and pull out. I demonstrated how a shelf could be slid out to see what's on it. I also demonstrated how items could be moved to look behind them. No, I was not demonstrating sweetly, I was condescending. I was very very mad, but I tend to get quieter when angry, not louder. I was carefully controlled, completely fed up with him.

I then went on to explain that it was not true that the uterus is a tracking device. Men are supposed to be hunters, hunt down what you are looking for and leave me out of it. I don't ever want to be interrupted again to be asked about something you can find out for yourself. I ended with I Am Not Your Mommy.

That solved the problem for me. No, this had nothing to do with our eventual divorce

Where's the camera on the fridge when you really need it????

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
One of my adult daughters is completely unable to trace her steps back to try to find something, or to even think through when she last remembers having the item. So when it becomes a crisis I end up helping her search and usually find it quickly. I had attributed it to her autism (she is high functioning) but perhaps it's a trait she has in common with others. The “find my I phone” app has been a lifesaver. I've thought about trying those small tracker tags for her keys and wallet.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

That solved the problem for me. No, this had nothing to do with our eventual divorce.

OMG~! Hilarious!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

They do have some kind of app for smartphones now that can help with that.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
When I was a youngster, my mother bought all us kids jigsaw puzzles for Christmas. She tucked them away so we wouldn’t find them. When Christmas finally rolled around, she couldn’t remember where she had stowed them. Nor could we find for months afterward.

From that point on, everything that was lost in our house was said to be “with the puzzles”. Still use that today in my own house.

Btw, we were somewhat unhappy when we found the puzzles...it was so much more fun not knowing!

I do the same thing. I buy something our daughter or granddaughter loved when I was with them and then went back to buy it as a surprise from some occasion. The surprise is on me when I finally find it long after the event it was meant for! I now have a gift drawer. Doesn't mean the item will be in it, but I'm doing better with it!