• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Arizona proposed changes to rescission periods!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
Yes, that would be incredible. It would be wonderful if just the 14-day rescission period would pass - I don’t think the other provisions have much of a chance, so if I lived in Arizona I’d be focusing on that one and defending it against what will obviously be intense opposition to the entire bill.

Iggyearl

TUG Member
Reaction score
14 day rescission clause - big disclosures on lifetime costs - 1 year cancellation with 90% refund - ability to give back the timeshare at 10 years. WOW!! Oh WOW!! This is the same state that got a $800K settlement out of Diamond. Who knows... At least the subject of consumer protection will be brought up and discussed.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Were the "strong" version of this bill to pass, it would likely reduce new timeshare sales efforts by developers in Arizona -- developers would sense higher rescission rates for new buyers because they would have more time to become educated and rescind.

Not a bad thing as will reduce sales pressure on owners/renters/exchangers and it may increase TUG membership as more folks have more time to stop by and learn.

Last edited:

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I wouldn't expect too many new AZ resorts to be built if the strong version passes. Might be good for the resale value of existing timeshares in the state in the very long run.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
It's good to see strong consumer action on the issue. Would love to see more states take up the issue.

I wonder if it would apply to residents of Arizona who buy elsewhere?

Also would it apply to resale purchases? Although it could probably be listed as an "as is" real estate deal but having such constraints on a consumer selling their week could be onerous.

Last edited:

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Do you think ARDA will be for or against the Arizona bill?

If only Costco sold timeshares....
Return it any time if not satisfied.

The problem would be that people would just use them for Super Bowl parties and return them the next day.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Such extreme measures like refunding 90% of an "unused" timeshare will kill timeshare sales business altogether. It will not be good for folks who already own timeshare. The major brand management companies want to make more money than simply 10% from MF as their management fees.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
“ 1 year cancellation with 90% refund”...don’t see how this can pass, how about a car, or a home, or high end appliance or boat, I can go on and on.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
Are they going to reach into the sales staff pockets and take commissions back after a year?

This bill is horrible and would kill the industry.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
eh, i dont think there is a problem at all with a 90% refund prior to first use.

as for the car analogy, heck even used car dealers are offering 14-30 day "bring it back for any reason" clauses now...and thats even if you use the car during that time!

what it WOULD end nearly overnight...were the shady sales presentation practices that rely on misleading a customer to get them to buy then and there with little to no time to research and discover they were taken advantage of.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
eh, i dont think there is a problem at all with a 90% refund prior to first use.

as for the car analogy, heck even used car dealers are offering 14-30 day "bring it back for any reason" clauses now...and thats even if you use the car during that time!

what it WOULD end nearly overnight...were the shady sales presentation practices that rely on misleading a customer to get them to buy then and there with little to no time to research and discover they were taken advantage of.

So what is a fair sales price then?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
not sure what the sales price has to do with it?

I dont find it unreasonable at all to allow for a partial refund for an unused product.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
not sure what the sales price has to do with it?

I dont find it unreasonable at all to allow for a partial refund for an unused product.

90% isn’t exactly a partial refund.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
The key difference here is that the product has not been used to get the 90% refund. Cars, appliances, and boats are taken off the lot.

Besides 10% of 100k is $10k. Not a bad return to cover sales presentation costs, zero usage of the property, and interest on the cash paid. I could envision sales representatives coming up with a new scheme. "Sign now you have nothing to lose."

Last edited:

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
The key difference here is that the product has not been used to get the 90% refund. Cars, appliances, and boats are taken off the lot.

Commissions have been paid. Financing has been arranged. Construction loans have been amortized. Title companies have been paid. On and on.

It’s not free to build a hotel/condo.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Like a roach, the developers will find another way to survive. Perhaps they would evolve away from deeded ownership and become more RTU and points vacation club (aka "prepaid hotel rent") oriented to circumvent the law. Given the trend to points this would not be a stretch.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
Like a roach, the developers will find another way to survive. Perhaps they would evolve away from deeded ownership and become more RTU and points vacation club (aka "prepaid hotel rent") oriented to circumvent the law. Given the trend to points this would not be a stretch.

Most state laws require a deeded ownership. Personally I think RTU is better but state laws don’t support it. Tax laws also don’t support it.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Could you elaborate on the state law? I could envision less favorable tax law treatment, however I cannot imagine a law limiting developers from leasing small portions of the units back to buyers as a "prepaid hotel plan."

Disney does quite well with RTU and it's not illegal.

Last edited:

Crafty71

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Smugglers Notch Resort (Wyndham); DVC Old Key West
Are they going to reach into the sales staff pockets and take commissions back after a year?

This bill is horrible and would kill the industry.
I don't see why not...I work in the life insurance industry and my contract (and all contracts, for that matter) says that if someone cancels a policy that I have sold within the first (2) years, I have to give back the commission on a pro-rated basis...

Cheers!

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
90% isn’t exactly a partial refund.
Technically it is...and in more than one way. It "relates to a part rather than the whole" and "favors one party more than the other" :)

coainc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI
It may work to the advantage of ethical (a word that is not commonly associated with:) timeshare developers. They could use the Arizona law as an indication of their commitment to their potential customers. Those people considering a timeshare could use this as part of their purchase equation.