• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

updating article - Why Timeshares Make sense

Crafty71

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Smugglers Notch Resort (Wyndham); DVC Old Key West
That's insane that they are charging you to use the pool.
What's so special about that pool? Sheesh.
It isn't that the pool(s) are overly special...as Mary Ann pointed out, some have waterslides...:banana: but that's about it...it is about all the other activities, too...

It is more a function of the way the resort has developed over the years...some condos are owned by Smuggs for renting, some condos are timeshares, some are owned by individuals and now you have the Wyndham guests thrown into the mix...add to that a sprawling resort that has many things going on (activities for kids and adults...kinda like a summer camp...) and various owners (individuals and TS owners) who would rent out their unit and tell their guests that "everything is included"...which I guess technically puts those owners in the same category as the TS sales weasels...

The resort had to do something so they instituted a sort of "resort fee" (like hotels do in Vegas) but at least at Smuggs you get WWAAYYY more than just towels by the pool...

Cheers!

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
The new resort fees should be deemed illegal by the courts because all these amenities (swimming pools, tennis courts, basketball courses, putt putt courses, lazy rivers, etc.,) were included when the resort were initially built. Plus, the upkeep of these amenities should be part of the owners yearly maintenance fees IMO.

Finally, the developer should explain to the owners on a budget line/sheet how much is beening collected and where the money is going ? IMO.

Also, if the resorts are collecting this new resort fee, why are maintenance fees still going up ever year?

That is my two (2) cents on resort fees.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
It isn't that the pool(s) are overly special...as Mary Ann pointed out, some have waterslides...:banana: but that's about it...it is about all the other activities, too...

It is more a function of the way the resort has developed over the years...some condos are owned by Smuggs for renting, some condos are timeshares, some are owned by individuals and now you have the Wyndham guests thrown into the mix...add to that a sprawling resort that has many things going on (activities for kids and adults...kinda like a summer camp...) and various owners (individuals and TS owners) who would rent out their unit and tell their guests that "everything is included"...which I guess technically puts those owners in the same category as the TS sales weasels...

The resort had to do something so they instituted a sort of "resort fee" (like hotels do in Vegas) but at least at Smuggs you get WWAAYYY more than just towels by the pool...

Cheers!

In fact- you don't get ANY towels by the pool. LOL! But we still love it there!

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
The answer is simple. It is because for the most part Owners have little or no control over them.

George

The only control they have is not to pay them, and that's not really an option for most.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
The new resort fees should be deemed illegal by the courts because all these amenities (swimming pools, tennis courts, basketball courses, putt putt courses, lazy rivers, etc.,) were included when the resort were initially built. Plus, the upkeep of these amenities should be part of the owners yearly maintenance fees IMO.

Finally, the developer should explain to the owners on a budget line/sheet how much is beening collected and where the money is going ? IMO.

Also, if the resorts are collecting this new resort fee, why are maintenance fees still going up ever year?

That is my two (2) cents on resort fees.

I don't know what system you own in, but, in Marriott at least, I get such statements for each resort, with line items, comparison to last year, etc. It is easy to see what went up, what went down, by how much, and often why in the report.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own Marriott and Marriott does not charge resort fees at this time to use their swimming pools, basketball & tennis courses and other recreational items.

Last edited:

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know what system you own in, but, in Marriott at least, I get such statements for each resort, with line items, comparison to last year, etc. It is easy to see what went up, what went down, by how much, and often why in the report.

So they let you know what is going on but the real question is what do you do if you don't like what you are seeing...

George

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
So they let you know what is going on but the real question is what do you do if you don't like what you are seeing...

George

I suppose you talk to them, as I did to one of the managers at one property. Anyone can say they don't like rising maintenance fees and there's no reason for it, they will likely get applause. Much harder to have a good argument though. Maybe there's a good reason. Few things go down in price, hotels sure have not. Wasn't that long ago I was paying $50 a night at a decent hotel. Keep in mind, you are one owner of many thousands. Just because you want one thing does not mean everyone else may agree. If labor rates go up, they go up. If electricity costs go up, they go up. If the city charges more for trash, it goes up. Etc. The board or whatever org your ownership has does not have total control of this stuff.

My post was responding to a request for information that the poster doesn't see, where the money is going. I was merely pointing out that for Marriott at least it's there. If whatever he owns does not provide this information I too would be disappointed.

Last edited:

DonnaD

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree Vacation Club
My 9 weeks at Raintree Vacation Club in PV is my winter retirement home that I do not have to support or maintain the rest of the year. The staff welcome us home and treat us like family. I have a lovely unit overlooking the Bay of Banderas, warm weather, warm friendships with other members, and I spend more time socializing than I would in frigid Ohio this time of year. I love my special time in Mexico and look forward to it each year!

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We own Marriott and Marriott does not charge resort fees at this time to use their swimming pools, basketball & tennis courses and other recreational items.

Same with HGVC, at least for owners who book through the system.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
My son exchanged into Orange Lake Resort some years ago and they charged them for everything.

Lesson learned read up on the resort before you make your final decision.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
For my family, it just makes sense. I have three children and they just don’t make hotel rooms for that size of family. We are able to all stay in one unit with a dinner table and be together as a family. With a hotel room, we would be in adjoining rooms, but still separated. With a points system, we have the flexibility to get a two or even three bedroom at a much lower rate.

Larry M

TUG Member
Reaction score
Removes most of the ownership hassles of a 2nd home.
No hurricanes to worry about
Can't let you say that. As owner of a timeshare on the Atlantic Coast (Egrets Pointe, Edisto Island, SC), I worry about hurricanes a lot. I've been hit by a multi-year assessment of a few hundred dollars a year for Matthew. Fortunately:
  • No significant additional damage from Florence or Michael
  • Damage was not severe enough to prevent usage. (How would you like to pay maintenance and assessment on property that was damaged to badly to use?)
Larry

tdietvorst

TUG Member
Reaction score
The key is to pick time shares with low maintenance fees. If the maintenance fees get high enough (as measured by such indices as dollars per point in the HGVC system) you can actually be paying as much in maintenance fees as you would if you were to book the room on the open market.

JerseyJim434

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Oyster Pointe 11weeks
We own 10 weeks and spend 8 of them at our home resort in FL eaxh winter. We have made many friends who return each year. It has become our winter home! No worries about appliance breakdowns, maintenance, painting, etc. We also trade for other stays and take “last minute vacarions”. What’s not to like?

JerseyJim434

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Oyster Pointe 11weeks
Can't let you say that. As owner of a timeshare on the Atlantic Coast (Egrets Pointe, Edisto Island, SC), I worry about hurricanes a lot. I've been hit by a multi-year assessment of a few hundred dollars a year for Matthew. Fortunately:
  • Damage was not severe enough to prevent usage. (How would you like to pay maintenance and assessment on property that was damaged to badly to use?)
Larry
But wait, what if you owned a condo and had to insure, repair, etc?

Pierce

Reaction score
My son exchanged into Orange Lake Resort some years ago and they charged them for everything.

Lesson learned read up on the resort before you make your final decision.

What do you mean by everything? Did they charge to use the pool, tennis courts, basketball courts? Or just for things like golf, food, mini-golf or the many amenities at Orange Lake?

talkamotta

TUG Member
Reaction score
1. The only true statement a salesman says "Timesharing will make you travel"
2. The reason I bought my 2nd- 5th timeshares was because I didnt want to buy a second home. They were in Florida.
3. Later I bought into Hawaii because I couldnt ever trade there.
4. I never did book more than 4 weeks in a row so I cant say it worked as a 2nd home. I found that the more I traveled, the more places I wanted to see and yet there are a few of my timeshares I never trade. So my favorite part of timesharing is the flexibility. If Hawaii, Maine, California, Canada or Mexico is on my bucket list, given some time I make it happen.

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score
The best part of timesharing is affordable space. I have a large family and staying in a 2BR with a full kitchen and washer and drier makes traveling actually fun. I rented timeshares for years before I bought resale. Owning gives you more control and the ability to score some great deals.

As for fees going up, there seem to be two schools of thought:
1. Maintenance fees should cover all the usual resort amenities. Raise the fees and keep everything free.
2. Do everything possible to keep maintenance fees low. If guests want to play minigolf or use the pool? Charge extra. Internet? Charge a fee, they didn't have it when the resort was built. Hide the true cost of timeshare usage by adding resort fees. Soak exchangers, because those outsiders probably only paid a $1 for their unit, anyway.

Obviously, there is a balance between the two. I recall a thread a few years back about the shuttle bus service to Disney at Wyndham Bonnet Creek. For years it was free, and then they started charging. I think that, since so many guests used the shuttle, it should be part of maintenance fees.

Others, of course, disagreed. Why should we pay more fees to subsidize a shuttle when I'm driving to the parks or not even going?

Superrenters, who were buying up points by the millions, would want fees to stay as low as possible. They're not visiting the resorts, they'd rather have the guests pay the hidden charges.

In the end, the more services of a resort you use, the more you'd like the cost spread out to all the owners. If you are an owner who rarely visits the resort or just sleeps there and doesn't use the pools, tennis courts, internet or whatnot, you'd want others to pay for what they use so you don't have to.

talkamotta

TUG Member
Reaction score
For many years, the only vacations we took were either camping or soccer tournaments.when we rented a hotel room I stretched the occupancy rules, they were considered guidelines. in my mind. After I bought my first timeshare I thought I was the princess and the kids loved it. Didn't have to sleep in a sleeping bag. As the kids got older and my family increased, its now the grandchildren. You can't put a price tag when one of your grandchildren calls you up and they ask if you will take them to Hawaii. Now, because she knows how great Hawaii is, she is going to BYU hawaii and because she is smart she has free tuition. So she sends me pictures of the hikes she does on Oahu. Partly because I take grandchildren on vacation I have strong bonds with them. They call me direct. I am a participant in their lives not just a spectator.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
The key is to pick time shares with low maintenance fees.

So true. Back in the day I was managing my portfolio of HOA Controlled Fixed Weeks I did two things. First, I limited myself to 6 Weeks at a time and Second, I focused on weeks with MFs less than $500. If/when they went above $500, I sold and moved on to another Resort. I know things are higher today so if I were doing the same thing today, I would probably be looking at something like $700 as my point of reference...

George

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
Larry

I know that there are hurricanes as a risk but it’s a shared risk with someone else taking care of the imminent threat.
If I own the house it’s all on me.

I was hit with an assessment years ago in Fort Lauderdale but luckily here we build with concrete so the damage isn’t catastrophic like it is in the Carolinas and other coastal town in denial of the risk with pathetic building codes.

Yeah I can hire people to do it but then I bear all the burden of the cost. I have enough to deal with with just my own home, moms and my two year round rentals here in town. I don’t want to have to drive 4 hours to deal with it all. I already live on the coast in Miami.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trader14

Reaction score
to me it is all about economics - buying a timeshare allows me to use my maintenance fees that cost on average $1400 per week ($200 per day) to use a room that would cost me $700-$900 or when i don't use the week i rent it for anywhere from $2100 - $2700 per week depending on if it's a studio or 1 bedroom (less advertising expense and name change expense). I always buy on resale and try to buy at a price where i can resell it to close to if not more than my original buy in price. we travel tons and love cruising in addition to timesharing