• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

A Tribute to Edie Falco as Carmela Soprano

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
A Tribute to Edie Falco as Carmela Soprano
By Lizzie Fiedelson/ Culture/ Culture Desk/ The New Yorker/ newyorker.com

"When Edie Falco discusses her relationship with James Gandolfini, with whom she created one of the most complex and moving portraits of marriage ever shown on television, she sometimes admits that the two didn’t know each other very well. She recently told the “Today” show that, during the eight years in which they filmed “The Sopranos,” they never got close. “I really did not know much about his personal life,” she said, “just what the rest of the world knew.” On one level, this distance is surprising, but, on another, it makes a kind of emotional sense. Falco’s performance as Carmela Soprano, the sharp, bejewelled wife of the mobster Tony Soprano, had a wholeness and an independence to it; it was never defined by Gandolfini and her other scene partners, however excellent they were. Especially when crying, Falco was virtuosic. I recently rewatched “The Sopranos”—as many fans were inspired to do as the show marked its twentieth anniversary, this January—and I was struck again by Falco’s ability to make herself, through fleeting expressions of sentimental piety or grief, the linchpin of the show’s explorations of moral frailty.

Carmela is also just such a great character. Some of her best moments come when she is expressing bemusement: a wide-eyed face of surprise that she makes when life just doesn’t turn out her way—when her crush Furio doesn’t come in for coffee, or when she hears on the phone that Adriana has suddenly left Christopher, Carmela’s distant cousin, whom she'd been planning to marry. (In fact, Tony has had Adriana whacked, for being an F.B.I. informant; Carmela suspects this and dreams about Adriana throughout the rest of the show.) Carmela could be both tactful and tacky, and her insights about other people—such as a flirty priest who chases the “whiff of sexuality” through overinvolved emotional relationships with parish housewives, Carmela included—coexist with severe blind spots about morality and judgement...."

Feidelson-EdieFalco.jpg

As Carmela Soprano, Edie Falco perfectly captured the series’ contradictions and moral flaws.

Photograph from Alamy

Richard

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
If I ever run out of things to watch on Netflix, I want to go over to HBO On Demand to re-watch the Sopranos, and see Game of Thrones for the first time. I loved Edie Falco in Nurse Jackie -- she was outstanding!

spirits

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Banff Rocky Mountain Resort
If I ever run out of things to watch on Netflix, I want to go over to HBO On Demand to re-watch the Sopranos, and see Game of Thrones for the first time. I loved Edie Falco in Nurse Jackie -- she was outstanding!
Oh My. Nurse Jackie...I cried and cried at the ending. Outstanding series, dark but so true in its depiction of addiction.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Carmela was to many a fictional character for a television show. I feel there are many Carmela Sorpranos in real life; trying to keep her man, trying to keep a memory of her first love, and trying to keep her dysfunctional family together.