• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Choosing Between a Marriott Grand Chateau 2 bdrm or 3 bdrm Trader

FamilyEsq

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
ESJ - Puerto Rico
Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas North
Hello All,

I am contemplating purchasing a Marriott Grand Chateau for trading purposes. Marriott seems to be exercising ROFR a lot more post merger.

I would be using the trader to attempt to primarily trade into Newport Coast Villas (plat and gold), Aruba (gold) and occasionally Hawaii (August and October).

With these trades in mind, do you think it is necessary to purchase a 3 bedroom or will the studio portion of a 2 bdrm trader be sufficient to pull these locations?

I have considered the increased maintenance expense for a 3 bedroom vs. 2 bedroom. I am also concerned about the potential changes Marriott may make by adding Vistana to its MVC Destination Points Program and thereby decreasing the deposits to Interval.

Any and all advice is appreciated. Thank you.

FamilyESQ

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge (x2), Ko Olina week 51 (x3) & 52(x2)
Hello All,

I am contemplating purchasing a Marriott Grand Chateau for trading purposes. Marriott seems to be exercising ROFR a lot more post merger.

I wouldn't worry about it, as it is totally random. I've had ones taken at higher amounts and not at lower. I think it is prudent to remember it is a buyers market not a sellers. There are more people looking to sell than those looking to buy as the only person who is willing to buy is someone familiar with what they are buying. The number of people who don't know what they have, how to use it, etc. far outnumbers the number of people who do.

I would be using the trader to attempt to primarily trade into Newport Coast Villas (plat and gold), Aruba (gold) and occasionally Hawaii (August and October).

With these trades in mind, do you think it is necessary to purchase a 3 bedroom or will the studio portion of a 2 bdrm trader be sufficient to pull these locations?

You don't need a 3 br or even a 2 br to get most of the time. I've gotten trades using the studio and the 1 br portions. Please remember when a 3 br is locked off, it is a 1 br and 2 br. You would locked into always using a 2 br to trade which is overkill. You will also pay a premium for a 3br to purchase. My suggestion would be to buy a 2 br and you can lock it off. If you ever need a 2br, you can trade the whole unit - I've never had to use a whole 2 br to trade thus far and I've had some difficult trades come through.

I have considered the increased maintenance expense for a 3 bedroom vs. 2 bedroom. I am also concerned about the potential changes Marriott may make by adding Vistana to its MVC Destination Points Program and thereby decreasing the deposits to Interval.

FamilyESQ

I wouldn't believe all the lies sales people tell you.

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
Hello All,

FamilyESQ

Edit: Quadmaniac answered about the studios as I was typing my answer so I've removed that portion from my answer.

You didn't ask about the 1BR, but I'll provide some details from my experience. I debated between the 2BR LO and 3BR LO at Grand Chateau. I ultimately went with the 3BR LO and would do it all over again. With the 1BR portion, I've been able to get trades for 2BRs at Marriott's Frenchman's Cove in December, Hawaii (Waiohai) in April, and Newport Coast in September. I've also seen plenty of availability in Aruba, but don't remember the months. I think you could get Hawaii in Augst with the 1BR. According to II's TDI chart, the demand in August is equal to or less than April and I've been able to get there in April. I think the same for October, especially considering demand is less than August. Lastly, I currently see a 2BR unit available at Newport Coast Villas in December.

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
I've never had to use a whole 2 br to trade thus far and I've had some difficult trades come through.
I'm intrigued since I'm considering another trader. What trades have you been able to get with the studio portion?

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with Quadmaniac about the ROFR, even if Marriott exercised at $3,000 (or whatever for that resort), you can make an offer for another one for $3,000 and they may not exercise, there is no hard and fast rule historically. While logically a formula would seem almost certain, most experiences show just try again can often work. When I bought resale points, I didn't care if it took 10 attempts, was in no real hurry. I was not going to continually raise my purchase price. The worst that could happen is I helped 10 people sell points they didn't want or need, which for me isn't so bad. You will find many examples where people may have been ROFRd at $10,000 and then someone else gets it for $5,000 without ROFR. It really makes little sense.

Regarding trading lockoffs, I use it every year for 21 years. Don't know how it compares though, but mine is at DSV2. Sometimes, I trade my lockoff for a 1 or 2BR at the same resort, leaving me with the 1BR to trade (as I occupy each year). Other times, some sample trades I have made with the studio only (and never ever to a studio, min 1 BR most often 2BR):

Hilton Head (Monarch)
Club Cascadas de Baja (wonderful place in Los Cabos, each room has their own pool!)
Ko Olina
Hippocampus Vina del Mar in Chile
Grand Residence
Aruba Ocean Club, and, Surf Club
Tahiti Village
Several places in Australia, not a ton of Timeshares there
Lanzarote (Canary Islands)

And more. These are off the top of my head. Essentially, always a win. I just find it funny when I trade my lockoff for a 2BR at the same resort in the same season, why wouldn't I do that! I will say there are things the 1BR can see that the studio does not see as far as exchanges, so, it's another reason to trade up my lockoff so I can instead trade the 1BR. Patience is the key though in exchanging and almost always pays off.

Last edited:

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm intrigued since I'm considering another trader. What trades have you been able to get with the studio portion?

I've had trades from a 1 br to 3 br at Ko Olina and Marriott Maui Ocean Club Napili towers during holidays, long weekends and regular times.

Last edited:

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The math :

3 br MF $1932.62 Purchase $4.5-6K
2 br MF $1308.06 Purchase $0-1500

It is much cheaper to get the 2 br, many times you can get it from free to $1500. I personally wouldn't pay any more than $1000. I will not chase a timeshare price, as there will ALWAYS be another. There are way more sellers than there are purchasers, you just have to patient about finding one. I wouldn't worry about ROFR either. They can take it as much as they want as well, there will ALWAYS be another.

There is nothing wrong with buying a 3br but you don't need a rocket ship to go around the corner. I would never trade the whole 3 br, let alone a 2 br. But when you are trading it, you are trading the 2 br or the 1 br. Your overall cost is about $2012.62 with the $80 lock off fee so you're technically looking at $1006 per side or if you want to be really technical about it the 2br is 2/3 or $1341.75 and 1 br is 1/3 or $670.87 plus your trading fees.

If you own the 2 br and you feel you need to trade the whole thing, your cost is $1308.06. When you lock it off the total is $1388.08 and each half is $694.03.

For me, it doesn't make sense to buy the 3 br as I can buy 3 or more 2 br for the same price as 1 x 3 br and have more options. I wouldn't lock myself into consistent higher trading cost when it is not necessary. You still have the option of trading a whole 2 br if you want. Spend the minimum to get what you need. That's my idea at least. It's not a matter if you can "afford it" but a matter of why pay more for the same thing. I love the hunt of a great deal and I would rather wait to save a whack load of money to get it right now rather than 2 months later. It will ALWAYS be there, even though sales people would lead you to believe otherwise.

NOTE : There are 1 br units for sale but I would avoid them as the MF are just under $900. I would always buy a 2 br lockoff and ignore 1 br units. It's not a good value at all!!!

Last edited:

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
The math :

3 br MF $1932.62 Purchase $4.5-6K
2 br MF $1308.06 Purchase $0-1500

It is much cheaper to get the 2 br, many times you can get it from free to $1500. I personally wouldn't pay any more than $1000. I will not chase a timeshare price, as there will ALWAYS be another. There are way more sellers than there are purchasers, you just have to patient about finding one. I wouldn't worry about ROFR either. They can take it as much as they want as well, there will ALWAYS be another.

There is nothing wrong with buying a 3br but you don't need a rocket ship to go around the corner. I would never trade the whole 3 br, let alone a 2 br. But when you are trading it, you are trading the 2 br or the 1 br. Your overall cost is about $2012.62 with the $80 lock off fee so you're technically looking at $1006 per side or if you want to be really technical about it the 2br is 2/3 or $1341.75 and 1 br is 1/3 or $670.87 plus your trading fees.

If you own the 2 br and you feel you need to trade the whole thing, your cost is $1308.06. When you lock it off the total is $1388.08 and each half is $694.03.

For me, it doesn't make sense to buy the 3 br as I can buy 3 or more 2 br for the same price as 1 x 3 br and have more options. I wouldn't lock myself into consistent higher trading cost when it is not necessary. You still have the option of trading a whole 2 br if you want. Spend the minimum to get what you need. That's my idea at least. It's not a matter if you can "afford it" but a matter of why pay more for the same thing. I love the hunt of a great deal and I would rather wait to save a whack load of money to get it right now rather than 2 months later. It will ALWAYS be there, even though sales people would lead you to believe otherwise.

NOTE : There are 1 br units for sale but I would avoid them as the MF are just under $900. I would always buy a 2 br lockoff and ignore 1 br units. It's not a good value at all!!!
Seems logical...had we thought it through this way, we may have gone with the 2BR LO instead. We planned on staying in LV every now and then to attend a NASCAR race. We haven't yet (Hawaii trades have come through), but it was part of my decision process. We thought we'd stay in either the 1BR or 2BR depending on whether or not family/friends tagged along; then we'd have the other side to trade. We purchased our 3BR EOY for $2.5K, but had to pay only 1/2 maintenance fee for first use year. We looked at it as a net purchase price of $1.9K. Still not as good as the 2BR and we have the increased maintenance fee over the 2BR. The one area that concerned me (still does) most about the 2BR was summed up by Steve:

I will say there are things the 1BR can see that the studio does not see as far as exchanges
I'm concerned about not seeing/getting a trade if the studio portion is all I have left. Although, we could buy a place we'd like to go and trade up with the studio like he does.

I just checked RedWeek and TUG; there are fewer MGC units for sale than I remember seeing in the past.

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm concerned about not seeing/getting a trade if the studio portion is all I have left. Although, we could buy a place we'd like to go and trade up with the studio like he does.

I just checked RedWeek and TUG; there are fewer MGC units for sale than I remember seeing in the past.

Absolutely you will see more with a 1 br than a studio, but that does not mean that the studio does not have trading value. Again, I would say the same, you don't need a rocket ship to go around the corner. While the studio does not see as much, it is not that you won't find something good with a studio. Many of the trades can be achieved with studio.

Many times I search with the 1 br first and then do the same search with a studio to see if it is still available. If not, I use the 1 br.

My go to is still eBay to find the lowest prices and there are always MGC showing up, you just have to keep watching. When I was searching, I would look every couple of days.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

FamilyESQ
Do you own other Marriott's, I'm getting the impression that you do no. If you are thinking about buying other resorts to use that are difficult to reserve, you should take that into consideration. I don't have GC but do own Willow Ridge that I usually lockoff and consistently trade. And while I feel the trading power of the 2 is roughly the same, the resort quality rating at GC likely hurts (or helps depending) between the 2. Trade power is probably roughly the same but being able to reserve WR a day earlier can be helpful in some situations. The 3BR lockoff of GC trading as a 1 BR which is a big advantage and compared to the 2 BR and lockoff consistently, that'll save you some upgrade levels at times. I've gotten Aruba Platinum, Waiohai, Ko Olina and Maui consistently with WR and have been able to upgrade unit sizes often but not always. Between the 2 I'd go for the 3 BR for GC but might consider two 2 BR instead depending of the volume you project. As a trader I still prefer Grande Vista for many situations due to the FL club but it depends on one's location and likely usage.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Absolutely you will see more with a 1 br than a studio, but that does not mean that the studio does not have trading value. Again, I would say the same, you don't need a rocket ship to go around the corner. While the studio does not see as much, it is not that you won't find something good with a studio. Many of the trades can be achieved with studio.

Many times I search with the 1 br first and then do the same search with a studio to see if it is still available. If not, I use the 1 br.
My go to is still eBay to find the lowest prices and there are always MGC showing up, you just have to keep watching. When I was searching, I would look every couple of days.

Good points, but remember, if trading a studio, your best friend is always the EPlus, whereby you can utilize 3 upgrade trades to accomplish great things, eventually snagging a great 2BR or even a 3BR....I've done it several times, and what I got for a couple of upgrade fees was outstanding and worth every penny. The key is being patient, knowing something better will show up, checking often, and if it does, jumping on it!!!

Thunder Up

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have a 2 bedroom at Grand Chateau. Here is what we have traded the studio for
2 bed Ko Olina —May
2 bed Marriott Crystal Shores— August
2 bed Hyatt Wild Oak - March (son attended conference in SA)
2 bed Marriott Ocean Point - November

With the 1 bedroom
2 bed Aruba Surf Club — May 2016 and May 2017
1 bed Ko Olina - November
2 bed Waiohal Beach — January
1 bed Kauai Beach Club - January
2 bed Aruba Surf Club — December
3 bed Marriott Crystal Shores — September

If you are tied to the school calendar the trades are more difficult. If you can travel whenever, it should be no problem. If you are retired, I would vote for the 2 bedroom, lower upfront costs and lower MF’s. You will have more II upgrade fees.

Good luck.

Thunder Up

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 2 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd)
I asked the same question back in 2015 and I was advised to get a 3 bedroom. It trades as a one bedroom and 2 bedroom. I decided to go with an EOY two bedroom I picked up on EBay for 1800. Not a very big investment to test the waters. I am very happy with my 4 trades from 2017 and 2019. The studio from 17 got a one bedroom in Palm Springs this past Christmas. With the 19 studio I got 2 bedroom at OceanWatch this coming April during spring break. The 17 one bedroom got me a 2 bedroom in Aruba at the Surf the summer of 17. The 19 1 bedroom is getting me a 2 bedroom at the Grand Ocean for August 17 this summer. I am tied to a school calendar so trades are a little more difficult so overall though a small sample size, I very happy with the trades.

If I went with a 3 bedroom I would have avoided a 278 in upgrade fees in 2018: and $189 in upgrade fees in 2019 but the added MF would have been about 400 more for a 3 br over a 2 br in both 2017 and 19. Also add a little more cost for the initial purchase. So overall the 2 bedroom saved me a few dollars over the 3 bedroom.

A big advantage with the 3 bedroom is the two bedroom trades on par with a two bedroom so the likelihood of a successful trade is higher. This might be very important for your trades. For this reason alone I would go 3 bedroom.

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A big advantage with the 3 bedroom is the two bedroom trades on par with a two bedroom so the likelihood of a successful trade is higher. This might be very important for your trades. For this reason alone I would go 3 bedroom.

So how is it an advantage ? Would your 2 br unit lock off not trade as a 2 br if you needed use it as one unit ? A 2 br is a 2 br is a 2 br, it does not trade any differently. Thus far it does not seem you have ever trade it as a 2br to get your trades and you have come out ahead each year over the higher cost of the 3 br. If you've had great success so far, why would you need to trade a whole 2 br to get the same ?

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
I own at Marriott Palm Desert. I usually exchange a 1 BR DSV2 for a 2 BR NCV. I've been doing this every year for 6 or 7 years. I like to be there in Sept or October. This last time I exchanged an efficiency for a 2 BR. I used an average TDI week because it could "see" the NCV unit. If I waited until Thanksgiving I would have had a stronger trader but if I waited the Sept availability would have disappeared.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So how is it an advantage ? Would your 2 br unit lock off not trade as a 2 br if you needed use it as one unit ? A 2 br is a 2 br is a 2 br, it does not trade any differently. Thus far it does not seem you have ever trade it as a 2br to get your trades and you have come out ahead each year over the higher cost of the 3 br. If you've had great success so far, why would you need to trade a whole 2 br to get the same ?

As a pure trader I am thinking 2 for 1 on a lock off so a 2 bedroom as a 2 bedroom doesn’t meet the criteria. Why even think about a three bedroom as a trader if 2 for 1 wasn’t the case. I have been tied to a school schedule for 25 years so in NY, Christmas, February break, Spring break or summer are my typical trading periods. We can only go by our own experiences.

You have gotten great value from your GC trades. I will not question that. Crystal Shores while a nice trade is not platinum in August and September so it has decent availability trading a platnium with an upgrade. Aruba gold season is the same. I am envious of your Hawaii trades and look forward to my wife retiring her teachers assistant job.

It appears the OP may also not have your flexibility. The OP is asking for Newport platinum season (summer) and Hawaii August at least some of the time. Newport platinum is impossible to get into with less than a 2 bedroom with either a request first or deposit first. You might get lucky with an instant exchange. In four years of trying I was lucky once but it was too close in and airfares made it cost prohibitive. With Hawaii summer I have also never been lucky with an upgrade to a 2 bedroom on anything other than an instant exchange. Coming from NY, the airfare was cost prohibitive close in.

A 2 br platinum for a 2 br during Newport platnium makes the impossible difficult but possible. I believe a 2 br for a 2 br in Hawaii for August makes the difficult, likely. If this is important than the added MF is worth it because the buy in cost is low.

A couple of side notes...
I tried trading a summer Monarch on HHI into Newport starting 12 months out. After 4 months and nothing happening I called to see availability using DP and there was availability. There was also plenty to rent on Redweek. I normally rent one of my Monarch weeks and was going to do so to get to Newport. Instead used the rental for Punta Cana during spring break.

Someone mentioned ePlus. I pay for it on every exchange. The studio that I am using for OceanWatch started out as a July 2 br in St Thomas 2018 that my family vetoed after I exchanged because the thought of vacationing there when so many people were still suffering from the hurricane. It turned into a 3 br at the Surfwatch for August on an instant exchange that became redundant when another exchange into the Grand Ocean came through for July. My next and final retrade was for the OceanWatch. For how I trade, ePlus is invaluable.

Last edited:

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm not sure what you mean 2 for 1 but the 2 br still trades as a 2 br and you have the option to use it as that if you feel it is necessary to get the trade you seek. The great thing is that you are not forced to do it every year and can choose as the need comes off. You are better to have 2 x 2 br MGC than a 3 br as it gives you more options.

If you look back at the other thread discussing trades, you'll see all of my trades have been to Hawaii on holidays like spring break, thanksgiving, Christmas and NY plus the summer. These are all the "difficult trades" that I've been getting consistently for 6 years using 1 br and studio units. It is absolutely possible as I don't have any more access than anyone else. I use WR, but MGC would trade the same. You don't need more trading power, you need more searches to accomplish the task.

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I would say the chance of success is quite high from the OP's requirements. If someone is specifically particular about view, then they are better off buying what they want to ensure that get it, but again it is at a higher cost. Some do want it done the first moment, they don't want much effort, so their cost will be higher to get something quicker rather than spend time looking for it.

From personal experience, I have had success trading into "hard to get places and times" and I have the same access as everyone else to searches. If I can do it, anyone can do it in my opinion. Its all about how much effort you're willing to put it. I am willing to put a lot in for multiple searches on a daily basis as I do it in between clients, on my break, at lunch, as I am getting into my vehicle, when I am at home, before bed, middle of the night if I have to go to the bathroom.

2013 Spring Break MMO
2013 Easter MMO
2013 August KAA
2013 USA Thanksgiving MKO
2013 Christmas MMO
2014 Easter MKO
2014 August MMO
2014 August KAA
2014 Christmas MKO
2015 Easter KAN
2015 Labour Day MKO
2015 Christmas MKO
2015 NY MKO
2016 Easter KAN
2016 July Long MKO
2016 August MMO
2016 USA Thanksgiving KAA
2016 NY MKO
2018 Easter WNA
2018 Christmas MKO
2018 NY MKO

*These were all trades

Definitely the timeshare lifestyle is not for everyone if they can not plan ahead and willing to learn/use the system as it is available to them. The possibilities of success is there, or does one just want to have more immediate certainty they will get it right away ? Cost / effort scenario.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm not sure what you mean 2 for 1 but the 2 br still trades as a 2 br and you have the option to use it as that if you feel it is necessary to get the trade you seek. The great thing is that you are not forced to do it every year and can choose as the need comes off. You are better to have 2 x 2 br MGC than a 3 br as it gives you more options.

If you look back at the other thread discussing trades, you'll see all of my trades have been to Hawaii on holidays like spring break, thanksgiving, Christmas and NY plus the summer. These are all the "difficult trades" that I've been getting consistently for 6 years using 1 br and studio units. It is absolutely possible as I don't have any more access than anyone else. I use WR, but MGC would trade the same. You don't need more trading power, you need more searches to accomplish the task.

I have to start off by apologizing. I am sorry. I thought the post on the trades using the GC made by "Thunder Up" was done by you so this is why I referenced them in my reply to you. It was not and because of it, it appears I was questioning your trades. I was not. I have no doubt that the trades you made are for when you said you made them. I have no need to look them up.

So now to clarify my reply.

What do I mean 2 for 1 ..... I have always had a inexpensive trader that I have never used and will never plan on using. For the first 20 plus years it was a 2 BR non Marriott that was not a lock out. I gave that away to get a unit with a lock out. The reason I did that was to get two trades by using the lock out feature and upgrading it to make each trade more comfortable (bigger). One could trade a 2 bedroom for a 2 bedroom but that would not give you the 2 for 1. A 3 bedroom would. The OP specifically asked if the studio would be able to pull the trades he was asking about. This implied to me the OP was also thinking about a lock off 2 for 1. So with this as the premise can a studio trade into Hawaii in August, Aruba during gold and Newport beach during platinum and gold.

So lets go back to the OP's question and focus on the hardest of the trades which is Newport Beach Platinum . I will open this up to all TUGGERS to go beyond my own experience and also out of curiosity.

Has anyone been successful with trading a studio into Newport Beach platinum using either Request or Deposit First?
Has anyone been successful with trading a 1 bedroom into Newport Beach platinum using either Request or Deposit First?
Has anyone been successful with trading a 1 bedroom or studio into Newport Beach platinum using instant exchange that was not within a 60 day travel which allows it to be up for grabs to just about anyone for almost anything.

If this can be done regularly, defined as when the OP wants to do it (which isn't defined) than I am will absolutely agree that a 2 bedroom is all the OP would need. If not and he wants 2 trades provided by a lock out, a 3 bedroom is the only answer.

Where should he get the 3 bedroom? Orlando, Vegas or anywhere else it is cheap with low MF.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx

1. Has anyone been successful with trading a studio into Newport Beach platinum using either Request or Deposit First?
2. Has anyone been successful with trading a 1 bedroom into Newport Beach platinum using either Request or Deposit First?
3. Has anyone been successful with trading a 1 bedroom or studio into Newport Beach platinum using instant exchange that was not within a 60 day travel which allows it to be up for grabs to just about anyone for almost anything.

1. Haven't tried
2. Yes. I did that once
3. Yes, I've done that about 1/2 dozen times mainly with a 1 BR but my last trade was with an efficiency. I typically make the exchanges nearly a year in advance.

I am using a Marriott Desert Springs 1 or 2 (white week) to trade for a platinum week. Platinum is defined as roughly June through December. I have never seen summer availability on manual exchanges. My trades have been Sept, October and December. Sept. availability is very low. October to December typically has good availability.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
As far as 1BR vs. studio, I have never seen a trade power difference. I have faithfully booked Thanksgiving and locked off almost every of the past 10 years. In every of the thousands of instant exchange searches I performed over that time, NEVER has the 1BR seen something the studio can't. With only a few exceptions, I have traded both sides into a 2BR everytime. This has been true between 2BR and 1BR and Studio when using fake reservation tests as well.

With ongoing searches it's harder to tell, especially in the past when you couldn't trade up. But last summer I had put in a trade with both sides for concurrent weeks (identical requests). The trades were pending at the same time. For some reason the studio matched a 2BR before the 1BR did. Crazy. You never can tell what's happening behind the curtain with II.

Last edited:

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
1. Haven't tried
2. Yes. I did that once
3. Yes, I've done that about 1/2 dozen times mainly with a 1 BR but my last trade was with an efficiency. I typically make the exchanges nearly a year in advance.

I am using a Marriott Desert Springs 1 or 2 (white week) to trade for a platinum week. Platinum is defined as roughly June through December. I have never seen summer availability on manual exchanges. My trades have been Sept, October and December. Sept. availability is very low. October to December typically has good availability.

I stand corrected and will apologize to all for my ignorance. I have been tied to a school schedule way to long. I am shocked that Newport Beach Platinum would extend over that long period of time. Quadmaniac, this apology especially goes to you. I will agree with you 100% that a 2 bedroom lock out is sufficient given Newport platinum season. FamilyEsq, you are next in line for an apology....do not listen to me.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
To me it is a no-brainer to go with the Grand Chateau 3BR unit.

FamilyEsq

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
ESJ - Puerto Rico
Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas North
Hi All,

Thank you for all of your replies and advice. Just to clarify, I am tied to a school schedule. I am really trying to decide between a 2 bdrm L/O and a 3 bdrm L/O. I would like to get two weeks of vacation from my purchase. The resorts I am focusing on now are: Newport Coast Villas (summer) , Aruba Surf Club (summer) and Hawaii (summer and October). My main question is can the studio portion of a 2 bdrm L/O at Grand Chateau pull these locations and times or should I just purchase a 3 bdrm which will L/O into a 1 bdrm and 2 bdrm?

Thank you.

FamilyEsq

P.S. I think Thunder Up is a great handle. I want to be able to sign off as Thunder Up.