• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Son Antem Owners, Trust Destination Points, ‘Worthless weeks’ if we don’t enroll

PAL123

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Mallorca
We have been Marriott Owners for approximately 14 years and have two weeks in Son Antem, Mallorca. We have just spent an exchange week at Grande Vista, Orlando and at check in were asked to attend a presentation ($250 or 30,000 reward points, which we thought was generous), we always have questions about the best way to use our weeks, etc so were fine about doing this. But this time was hard sell, big time, we have never experienced such an intense 2-3/4 hours in our lives! Sales tactics ranged from aggressive to patronising from sycophancy to virtual accusations of stupidity. We were told that because we had previously refused to buy into the new Trust Vacation Destination Points Scheme (news to us) we would soon have two weeks which would be worthless! The only way to protect our investment would be to buy 2,500 of these new points at a ‘special reduced‘ cost of over $31,000! Oh and when questioned it turned out there was also a $0.58/point annual fee each year! We were left shell shocked. We were also told that we were paying way too high maintenance fees and that he was going to tell us how to get out of paying them! Turns out this scheme involves us renting out one week (privately through him) and we will receive a cashiers cheque which will pretty much cover our maintenance fees every year! Couple of questions for any Marriott Owners of European weeks, have you been told that you need to enrol in this scheme to protect your existing weeks? Has a representative ever encouraged you to rent using him as your agent?

This is a very short version of our ‘presentation’ and we are now working out how we should deal with this.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am sure you realize what he said was completely untrue. That sounds like one of the worst I've ever heard of.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have been Marriott Owners for approximately 14 years and have two weeks in Son Antem, Mallorca. We have just spent an exchange week at Grande Vista, Orlando and at check in were asked to attend a presentation ($250 or 30,000 reward points, which we thought was generous), we always have questions about the best way to use our weeks, etc so were fine about doing this. But this time was hard sell, big time, we have never experienced such an intense 2-3/4 hours in our lives! Sales tactics ranged from aggressive to patronising from sycophancy to virtual accusations of stupidity. We were told that because we had previously refused to buy into the new Trust Vacation Destination Points Scheme (news to us) we would soon have two weeks which would be worthless! The only way to protect our investment would be to buy 2,500 of these new points at a ‘special reduced‘ cost of over $31,000! Oh and when questioned it turned out there was also a $0.58/point annual fee each year! We were left shell shocked. We were also told that we were paying way too high maintenance fees and that he was going to tell us how to get out of paying them! Turns out this scheme involves us renting out one week (privately through him) and we will receive a cashiers cheque which will pretty much cover our maintenance fees every year! Couple of questions for any Marriott Owners of European weeks, have you been told that you need to enrol in this scheme to protect your existing weeks? Has a representative ever encouraged you to rent using him as your agent?

This is a very short version of our ‘presentation’ and we are now working out how we should deal with this.
You might even be able to enroll for free up front without buying anything.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
You will always have your weeks to use at your home resort Club Son Antem or to exchange via Interval to the other MVC resorts. The sales person was just scaremongering to try to secure a points sale.
However, Club Son Antem weeks can be enrolled in the points programme now (even if purchased resale before mid 2012) for not too much cost.
We enrolled our US/Caribbean weeks in 2010, our European weeks in 2012 and our Phuket weeks in 2016, as early as we were able to all for $695.
You might want to call Owner Services to ask what that cost will be.
Alternatively, You could ask the sales team at Club Son Antem (they can’t sell points, but they will try to sell you a resale week).
You certainly will not lose out by not buying points though.

Last edited:

dansimms

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sales efforts like that give Marriott and the Time Share Industry a bad name.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake
We were at Grande Vista last year and also agreed to the presentation (our offer was equally as generous) however our experience wasn't as bad as yours. Yes, we had an exuberant salesman, in parts aggressive and quite unprofessional. However, we did enroll our Harbour Lake and Playa Andaluza weeks into the points programme for around £1000, our Son Antem weeks were ineligible due to the date when we purchased them but we're fine with that as we pretty much always occupy our weeks. For future usage we still have the option of exchanging through II, renting via an agency or through Marriott direct. Our weeks are never going to be worthless, how could they be?

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
So the sales weasel told you your weeks will be worthless, but in the same spiel told you that one could be rented out to cover both mf?:shrug:

You should enroll your weeks, for free, especially if you trade often. You'll save a lot of $. Hopefully others will post the link for the free enrollment seminar. (Not sure if your particular weeks can be enrolled. )

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
So the sales weasel told you your weeks will be worthless, but in the same spiel told you that one could be rented out to cover both mf?:shrug:

You should enroll your weeks, for free, especially if you trade often. You'll save a lot of $. Hopefully others will post the link for the free enrollment seminar. (Not sure if your particular weeks can be enrolled. )
The free enrolment webinar is (or was last time I looked) sadly one of those benefits us poor folk over the pond in Europe are not eligible for.
However, the cost is still probably well worthwhile.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 2 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd)
I would report the incident to MVCI. I am sure they are completely unaware that their sales people use such tactics and misrepresenting the truth or completely outright lying. They are trained to focus on the value proposition because it is so compelling. BTW, I said the incident and not the sales person because if you reported the sales person he would more than likely be promoted to sales manager.

Sarcasm aside, I have never experienced outward lies as much as sales people trying to stretch the truth. I have heard enough stories like the OP to know lying happens more than it should and not be allowed by MVCI.

Last edited:

PAL123

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Mallorca
You will always have your weeks to use at your home resort Club Son Antem or to exchange via Interval to the other MVC resorts. The sales person was just scaremongering to try to secure a points sale.
However, Club Son Antem weeks can be enrolled in the points programme now (even if purchased resale before mid 2012) for not too much cost.
We enrolled our US/Caribbean weeks in 2010, our European weeks in 2012 and our Phuket weeks in 2016, as early as we were able to all for $695.
You might want to call Owner Services to ask what that cost will be.
Alternatively, You could ask the sales team at Club Son Antem (they can’t sell points, but they will try to sell you a resale week).
You certainly will not lose out by not buying points though.
Thank you for that information, we will call Owner Services and ask them.

PAL123

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Mallorca
I would report the incident to MVCI. I am sure they are completely unaware that their sales people use such tactics and misrepresenting the true or completely outright lying. They are trained to focus on the value proposition because it is so compelling. BTW, I said the incident and not the sales person because if you reported the sales person he would more than likely be promoted to sales manager.

Sarcasm aside, I have never experienced outward lies as much as sales people trying to stretch the truth. I have heard enough stories like the OP know lying happens more than it should and not be allowed by MVCI.
Maybe he has been involved in quite a few such incidents - his title included Vice-President!

PAL123

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Mallorca
We were at Grande Vista last year and also agreed to the presentation (our offer was equally as generous) however our experience wasn't as bad as yours. Yes, we had an exuberant salesman, in parts aggressive and quite unprofessional. However, we did enroll our Harbour Lake and Playa Andaluza weeks into the points programme for around £1000, our Son Antem weeks were ineligible due to the date when we purchased them but we're fine with that as we pretty much always occupy our weeks. For future usage we still have the option of exchanging through II, renting via an agency or through Marriott direct. Our weeks are never going to be worthless, how could they be?
He told us that pretty soon we It will be very difficult to book weeks at our home resort of Son Antem because the inventory available will get smaller and smaller and people booking less than a week using Trust points will block out full week owners and those with VIP status can book 13 months in advance. He didn’t actually tell us if our weeks were eligible to transfer to the points programme, we purchased one in about 2005 and our second in 2016, do you happen to know what the eligible dates are?

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
F
He told us that pretty soon we It will be very difficult to book weeks at our home resort of Son Antem because the inventory available will get smaller and smaller and people booking less than a week using Trust points will block out full week owners and those with VIP status can book 13 months in advance. He didn’t actually tell us if our weeks were eligible to transfer to the points programme, we purchased one in about 2005 and our second in 2016, do you happen to know what the eligible dates are?
For European resorts, the cutoff date for enrolling resale weeks was 2012 (a date in June I believe).
So one of your weeks will be eligible.
As for the other comment by the Sales person, it is true that as more owners buy points or enrol their week(s) for points there will be proportionately fewer weeks available to book.
However, it seems that still relatively few European resort owners enrol their week(s) and even fewer elect them for points.
Also, the weeks and points inventory is totally separate and whilst there might be fewer weeks available to book there will also be fewer weeks owners able to book those weeks.
Overall, there will be some impact, perhaps more in unit allocation rather than availability, but the apocalyptic situation some sales folk predict is totally ridiculous.

Last edited:

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
I would report the incident to MVCI. ...compelling. BTW, I said the incident and not the sales person because

if you reported the sales person he would more than likely be promoted to sales manager.

The lies sound a lot like what I read about in TUG Wyndham forum .
Salesperson / weasel probably came from another TS system since the presentation was in Orlando .

I own Vidanta in Mexico - great resorts
- their presentions are “famous “ .for high pressure .