• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

October 2019 Vacation Suggestions

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I would not go to Crystal Shores for three reasons. 1) there is almost nothing on Marco geared towards kids and there probably won't be many/any kids there. Your October recess is unusual. East/South schools often have time off the first week in November. I can't imagine many kids your kids age (at least not the older one) so activities will be limited. 2) Hurricanes are real and Marco is one of the worst places to be because you are pretty much at the bottom of southwest Florida so evacuating will put you at the end of the line with everyone going north. 3) You will probably have trouble getting a non-stop flight to Fort Myers. You will get non-stops to Ft. Lauderdale and Miami, but it's a pretty long drive across Alligator Ally to get there.
Different perspective, I would suggest Marco Island because
1) Crystal Shores is geared toward kids. Activities are not limited, there are many activities at Crystal Shores to do and the kids love the pool slide. I was there a week where school was still in progress and there were many children.

In addition there are many actives one can do such as going to the beach with fabulous shelling (the kids will keep asking to go back), a Pirate Sunset cruise, fishing, dolphin watching trip, Everglades trip, Naples zoo, Marco Island Museum, Briggs Nature Center, Rookery Bay Reserve and I can keep going on.

I have been taking my daughter to Marco Island for years and she always loved it.

2)unfortunately if a hurricane is coming it affects most of Florida and disrupts east coast traveling. Weather has been so unpredictable that any part of the US can be affected by bad weather. Late October the risk is lower.

3)not sure what goes into Fort Myers airport but that is about a one hour drive, Miami’s airport is a two hour drive.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would not go to Crystal Shores for three reasons. 1) there is almost nothing on Marco geared towards kids and there probably won't be many/any kids there. Your October recess is unusual. East/South schools often have time off the first week in November. I can't imagine many kids your kids age (at least not the older one) so activities will be limited. 2) Hurricanes are real and Marco is one of the worst places to be because you are pretty much at the bottom of southwest Florida so evacuating will put you at the end of the line with everyone going north. 3) You will probably have trouble getting a non-stop flight to Fort Myers. You will get non-stops to Ft. Lauderdale and Miami, but it's a pretty long drive across Alligator Ally to get there.

Orlando will give you so many more things to do, and if you want to go to the beach you can drive an hour to Cocoa Beach and maybe couple that with a tour of the Kennedy Space Center. Parks will be moderately crowded and Disney does a Halloween theme. Weather should be perfect. Grande Vista and Cypress Harbor are very close to SeaWorld and Universal. 15 minutes to Disney. Non-stop flights are plentiful from the west coast.

Williamsburg will also give you a lot to do. Everything mentioned above is accurate plus Busch Gardens has a Halloween theme also (although somewhat scary). Flights are more like with Marco. You will probably get a connection to Richmond or Norfolk and an hour drive. Virginia Beach is an hour drive.

There are two other places that you should consider IMO.

Washington DC - great trip with tons of free stuff if the government every opens, great zoo, monuments, Smithsonian and many other things nearby in Virginia and Maryland. Great public transportation with good non-stop flights. The Mayflower is a Pulse property so small rooms, but you may want to consider a Sunday/Thursday trip to maximize points and get two units.

Boston - Another history oriented destination and one of the coolest Marriott timeshares. Small 1BR units with no full kitchen. One of the most beautiful places in the fall. Plenty of things to do for children and you can show them Harvard in case they have any dreams of going there. Neat place regardless.

Different perspective, I would suggest Marco Island because
1) Crystal Shores is geared toward kids. Activities are not limited, there are many activities at Crystal Shores to do and the kids love the pool slide. I was there a week where school was still in progress and there were many children.

In addition there are many actives one can do such as going to the beach with fabulous shelling (the kids will keep asking to go back), a Pirate Sunset cruise, fishing, dolphin watching trip, Everglades trip, Naples zoo, Marco Island Museum, Briggs Nature Center, Rookery Bay Reserve and I can keep going on.

I have been taking my daughter to Marco Island for years and she always loved it.

2)unfortunately if a hurricane is coming it affects most of Florida and disrupts east coast traveling. Weather has been so unpredictable that any part of the US can be affected by bad weather. Late October the risk is lower.

3)not sure what goes into Fort Myers airport but that is about a one hour drive, Miami’s airport is a two hour drive.

I appreciate the two different perspectives. After presenting to DW, she likes the idea of Marco Island. I know she wants to take the kids to the Everglades and that looks like a 2-2.5 hour drive. Not ideal but manageable. My kids mostly spend their time 50/50 at the pool/beach. The oldest likes to play with other kids but the younger ones are good on their own.

The next question is which room to book. Gulf side, Pool Side, or Island side. We will be going with a 2BR instead of the 3BR. Our friends that were thinking of coming are not able to go now.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I appreciate the two different perspectives. After presenting to DW, she likes the idea of Marco Island. I know she wants to take the kids to the Everglades and that looks like a 2-2.5 hour drive. Not ideal but manageable. My kids mostly spend their time 50/50 at the pool/beach. The oldest likes to play with other kids but the younger ones are good on their own.

The next question is which room to book. Gulf side, Pool Side, or Island side. We will be going with a 2BR instead of the 3BR. Our friends that were thinking of coming are not able to go now.
If you can get in the gulf front Osprey building, that is the best view.
EA76373C-A159-40F8-8831-B64CDC93CD5A.jpeg

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
Would you do Crystal Shores or Grand Vista in October? Looking at availability and both have 3BR and are about 3200-3400 points. I have points available to use.

If we do Crystal Shores, I'm thinking more beach activities.
If we do Grand Vista, I'll have to start researching Disney World.
We go to orlando every october for the Food and Wine festival at epcot it is excellent.
I would suggest doing a getaway as they can usually be had at Grande vista 3 bedroom for a week $700. Your kids will not run out of activities and the adults will enjoy epcot if you enjoy tasting food and wine at over 20 additional countries added for the festival as well as a multitude of food demonstrations etc....
Caution it gets very busy on weekends and if the RED TIDE is not happening you can drive over to clearwater beach on the gulf side for a day or coco beach on the atlantic (we prefer the gulf).

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with Panina that Gulf Front is definitely worth the extra points, if available. Pool side villas are in the new building and should have good views of the gulf, although further from the beach. The balconies in the original building are much larger, but the new ones are also nice. View from Gulf Side can be good, but vary.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
BTW, the Everglades is much closer than that. We stayed at the Hilton on Marco Island a couple of years ago and LOVED the beaches, the restaurants, and most of all the Everglades. It is about 50 minutes to Chokoloskee (where they do boat tours) and 1hr 15 min to the Shark Valley Visitor Center. I would advise making reservations for the Shark Valley tour in advance. I would also very strongly recommend Down South Airboat Tours which operates off a dock more or less across from the Shark Valley turnoff.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score

Steve,
Our family enjoyed both boat trips we took at Everglades National Park
http://www.evergladesnationalparkboattoursgulfcoast.com/
It is only 35-45 minute drive away.

We played mini golf at a small place right across the street from the resort.
There is also Marco plaza across the street- restaurants, shops, movie theaters.

Walk up the beach to the Marriott Hotel for pizza and ice cream.

In you want to spend some time off the beach try the botanical garden in Naples. Lots of room to run and explore, kids area, great cafe for lunch.

Crystal Shores is my family’s favorite resort!

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
We will be staying there beginning 10/27, so will just miss you. There is a Costco in Naples near the freeway that we usually stop at on our way from the RSW airport. I will look through my Amex bills to find the names of two restaurants that we enjoyed for carryout. The seafood restaurant only sells what they catch that day (fried or broiled): not fancy but excellent and fresh. The other has great pizza and Greek food and is located in a converted gas station. Marco Island has much nicer beaches and is more laid back than the FL East coast.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Going back to this. Looks like my parents will join us as well so need to rebook.

For 7 days, 3BR Island Side is 2500 points. 3BR Poolside Higher Floor is 3275 points. Is it worth the extra 775 points for Poolside View? Essentially a $500 value in terms of MF's.

We've also contemplated staying an extra day so it would raise it by 800/1075 points for the additional Saturday night.
If we do the Poolside view, that makes the difference 1050 points between Island vs. Pool view for an 8 day stay.

Flights have also jumped up to $567 per person now from SLC.

DEScottzz

TUG Member
Reaction score
I realize you've decided against it, but we took my kids to Hoover Dam on a day trip when we were in Las Vegas. It's been fifteen years, and they are still punishing me. I'm an engineer and I found it fascinating, but the kids, not so much.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
Going back to this. Looks like my parents will join us as well so need to rebook.

For 7 days, 3BR Island Side is 2500 points. 3BR Poolside Higher Floor is 3275 points. Is it worth the extra 775 points for Poolside View? Essentially a $500 value in terms of MF's.

We've also contemplated staying an extra day so it would raise it by 800/1075 points for the additional Saturday night.
If we do the Poolside view, that makes the difference 1050 points between Island vs. Pool view for an 8 day stay.

I think the Poolside higher floor is worth the extra points. These villas should have a good view of the gulf, and the sunsets are beautiful. Island side views are ok, but not nearly as nice. Chrystal Shores is one of the few resorts that I spend the extra points to assure a good view of the gulf. I prefer the Gulf front in the old building because the balconies are huge, but these have limited availability. I typically book 6 nights and spend our last night at a hotel near RSW airport, but check within 60 days to see if anything is available for the last night at the discounted rate.

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
Steven, we live in Sarasota. Siesta Key is the #1 beach in the USA and we have incredible museums and activities for children. There is no Marriott timeshare here, but there are Marriott hotels. Personally I like our area better than Marco Island. In addition you can fly into Sarasota or Tampa.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
For 7 days, 3BR Island Side is 2500 points. 3BR Poolside Higher Floor is 3275 points. Is it worth the extra 775 points for Poolside View? Essentially a $500 value in terms of MF's....
I actually prefer IS to PS at Crystal Shores because I prefer a north facing balcony. Or if there is availability OV. Obviously YMMV.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
we took our tweens/teens to Marco for spring break. We chartered a fishing boat (holds 6 persons) for 3/4 day fishing trip. Cost about $900. Fabulous time. Marco is also very nice to ride bikes. Several place rent bikes.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
if you have the points, I would splurge for the view at Crystal Shores.

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
MOW /MGC /MCV/MGO / Trust Points
There are two other places that you should consider IMO.

Washington DC - great trip with tons of free stuff if the government every opens, great zoo, monuments, Smithsonian and many other things nearby in Virginia and Maryland. Great public transportation with good non-stop flights. The Mayflower is a Pulse property so small rooms, but you may want to consider a Sunday/Thursday trip to maximize points and get two units.

Boston - Another history oriented destination and one of the coolest Marriott timeshares. Small 1BR units with no full kitchen. One of the most beautiful places in the fall. Plenty of things to do for children and you can show them Harvard in case they have any dreams of going there. Neat place regardless.

I second Big Matt. Boston or Washington would both be excellent choices for a fall trip. Lots to see and do and the weather should be awesome.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
You might want to check flights to FLL. We flew into there once due to high RSW fares and the drive wasn't too bad. Rental cars were also cheaper at that time. I definitely prefer the RSW airport since FLL can be congested, but it may save a substantial amount of money.

I've also noticed recently that Delta fares on Sundays are often much higher than on Saturdays.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I realize you've decided against it, but we took my kids to Hoover Dam on a day trip when we were in Las Vegas. It's been fifteen years, and they are still punishing me. I'm an engineer and I found it fascinating, but the kids, not so much.

That reminds me of when we and another couple went to Hoover Dam in 2001 (prior to 9/11). We took the hardhat tour and viewed the generators. Two of us worked for electric utilities and started asking the tour guide specific questions about the generators and the transmission system. The tour guide loved it. He told us that even though the guides are required to know that information, in his 15+ years it was only asked probably a dozen times. I'm sure the rest of the tour group was wanting us to shut up but it was extremely interesting!

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been looking at FFL and MIA as I haven't finalized flights yet. FFL seems to be similar in price to RSW. However MIA is much cheaper. I'll be monitoring for the next couple of months as I've already spent too much at the beginning of this year.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I had the best possible 3 br Island side room on a lower floor that I could have had as I was located closest to the water. I could only see the water if I was on the patio. It also faces a parking lot and the walkway for access to the beach. Not a nice view unless looking over at the water. If my room was furthur back the view would be disappointing and I would hear the noise from the traffic. As a trader I have no choice, you do. It is worth the extra points to have a better location.

2disneydads

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marco Island is not for kids. It's like the elephant burial ground - outside of summer school holidays, it's primarily senior citizens. I would look at Ocean Pointe or Oceana Palms on Singer Island. Lots for families in the Palm Beach area - nice zoo, science museum, beautiful beach, even an overnight cruise to the Bahamas. The weather in October usually is great.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

2disneydads

TUG Member
Reaction score
We will be staying there beginning 10/27, so will just miss you. There is a Costco in Naples near the freeway that we usually stop at on our way from the RSW airport. I will look through my Amex bills to find the names of two restaurants that we enjoyed for carryout. The seafood restaurant only sells what they catch that day (fried or broiled): not fancy but excellent and fresh. The other has great pizza and Greek food and is located in a converted gas station. Marco Island has much nicer beaches and is more laid back than the FL East coast.
Have to disagree there. We always have been disappointed in the poor quality of the Marco Island beach compared to the beach on Singer Island. The beach on Singer Island can compare favorably to almost any beach in the country, including Hawaii. The beaches on Sanibel Island are quite lovely, too. Marco just seemed small and grey.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
For those ages, there is only ONE choice, and that is Orlando.
(If not this year in October, then make it happen soon, and I say that because you actually need a full week
to balance days full of activity with "down days" at the pool. Great ages for both types of days, and they'll love the pool days too.
If you wait, their "magical ages" will change and their "amazement factor" will slowly dissipate. It won't be the same.)

Disneyland in California and Orlando's Disney World are two entirely different places. I've done both with my family,
Disneyland twice and DW many times.......but Disney World blows away Disneyland, and I really mean annihilates.
Not really comparable.
Disney World includes Animal Kingdom, EPCOT, & Hollywood Studios, all spread out over thousands of acres,
and quite beautiful. Not to mention Disney's Water Parks. All amazing.
In Orlando, there are also Sea World and Universal Studios, two more ridiculously great parks.
Summer is very hot, but doable if in early June....mid-Fall or late Spring would be best, if planned for "swimming weather".
Only 5 days would be too much of a whirlwind.

Orlando is a trip of a lifetime for a family, and your kids will never forget it nor will they ever stop talking about
their "most favorite trip ever". Our kids do, and they are now 29 & 32 and have seen the world.
It's the ultimate trip...just wait and see...
Again, your kids are at perfect ages, and believe me, there is no substitute for what they will see and experience NOW.
The other suggestions are great and worthy of consideration, but save them for another day.......
Orlando supersedes everything and easily rises to the number one place you need to take them.

If you do choose Orlando for a family trip, stay at Grande Vista---it's the easiest to get and has far and away
the best pools and activities for kids. It's great.
An Interval Getaway or renting DC points might be good deals for that time frame.

Lakeshore Reserve is my favorite, followed by Grande Vista & Cypress Harbor, but GV is best for kids.
Harbor Lake is nice and geared for kids, but it's not on the same level as those 3.

Last edited:

dansimms

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with the beach comments . In my opinion , the Atlantic Coast and the Panhandle of Florida are superior swimming beaches for sand, water color and entertaining surf. Marco is one of the few locations we don’t have an interest in planning for.

2disneydads

TUG Member
Reaction score
For those ages, there is only ONE choice, and that is Orlando.
(If not this year in October, then make it happen soon, and I say that because you actually need a full week
to balance days full of activity with "down days" at the pool. Great ages for both types of days, and they'll love the pool days too.
If you wait, their "magical ages" will change and their "amazement factor" will slowly dissipate. It won't be the same.)

Disneyland in California and Orlando's Disney World are two entirely different places. I've done both with my family,
Disneyland twice and DW many times.......but Disney World blows away Disneyland, and I really mean annihilates.
Not really comparable.
Disney World includes Animal Kingdom, EPCOT, & Hollywood Studios, all spread out over thousands of acres,
and quite beautiful. Not to mention Disney's Water Parks. All amazing.
In Orlando, there are also Sea World and Universal Studios, two more ridiculously great parks.
Summer is very hot, but doable if in early June....mid-Fall or late Spring would be best, if planned for "swimming weather".
Only 5 days would be too much of a whirlwind.

Orlando is a trip of a lifetime for a family, and your kids will never forget it nor will they ever stop talking about
their "most favorite trip ever". Our kids do, and they are now 29 & 32 and have seen the world.
It's the ultimate trip...just wait and see...
Again, your kids are at perfect ages, and believe me, there is no substitute for what they will see and experience NOW.
The other suggestions are great and worthy of consideration, but save them for another day.......
Orlando supersedes everything and easily rises to the number one place you need to take them.
One thing to keep in mind is that October is in the middle of the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival, which brings in big crowds, especially at Epcot. That could have an impact on enjoyment of the parks.