• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ko'Olina question - sleeps 6 vs. sleeps 8 (2 bd)

jenninlaca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi -
Looking at rentals for Marriott Ko'Olina. We have stayed here several times before. Looking at postings for available 2 bedroom ocean views. Some list as sleeping 6 and others as sleeping 8. Would this be a difference between a lock off and a non-lock off (dedicated)? We really want the newest tower (Naia?) and I have read that this is all dedicated units. Would selecting a sleeps 6 give us a better possibility of getting that tower or would an owner know to which tower they will be assigned?

Thanks!

jpc763

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's - Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge Villages & Imperial Palms Villas
Sleeps 6 vs. Sleeps 8 is no different in any of the towers. The master BR and the 2nd BR have King beds. The other 2/4 are the sofa beds. One is in the 2nd BR and the other is in the living room.

If you want Naia than you want a non-lockoff room. Still, I am not sure how the selection works with rentals.

jenninlaca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sleeps 6 vs. Sleeps 8 is no different in any of the towers. The master BR and the 2nd BR have King beds. The other 2/4 are the sofa beds. One is in the 2nd BR and the other is in the living room.

If you want Naia than you want a non-lockoff room. Still, I am not sure how the selection works with rentals.
Thanks. So would a "Sleep 6" just mean that the second bedroom does not have the couch bed?

jpc763

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's - Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge Villages & Imperial Palms Villas
I am not familiar with any units that do not have 2 sofabeds but I always stay in the Naia tower.

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
Sleep 6 is simply an error on the part of the listing. Ko Olina 2BR sleep 8 whether lockoff or non lockoff.

Naia is primarily non lockoff (still sleeps 8). Unless your reservation states a "Single Entry Unit" you will most likely NOT be assigned Naia. By the way, units are not assigned until shortly before arrival, so no one can guarantee where a renter will be placed.

If the owner just reserves a "2BR" with Marriott, they will be given whatever is available, which will most likely be a lockoff unit. Owners who want to stay in Naia should specifically request a Single Entry Unit. No guarantee it will place them in Naia, but damn likely. Most people renting out their week probably don't know or care what they get, so you can ask them if their confirmation shows room type as "2BR Single Entry Unit". You will more than likely be educating them with the question.

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge (x2), Ko Olina week 51 (x3) & 52(x2)
The second bedroom has a sofabed and the living room has one as well. Even though it says 8, it would be extremely tight having 8 people in a 2 br but that is the listed capacity. Any more than 2 in the studio portion is cramped. I felt cramped in a studio by myself but I think I'm spoiled staying in timeshares that it feels way too tight for my liking.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sleep 6 could be an error or it could mean it's a rental of an exchange since II counts all 2 BR as sleep 6. It could also mean it's a dedicated 2 BR with twin beds in the second BR.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
I think the Marriott.com website does a pretty good job with Ko Olina showing the variety of Villas & Rooms with associated beds.

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/hotel-rooms/hnlko-marriotts-ko-olina-beach-club/

I think there are a few different layouts of MKO 2BRs, while I believe each technically sleeps 8. Although, not with the exact same bed size / sleeper sofa configuration.

2BR OV w/o Lockoff
2BR OV w/ Lockoff
2BR OV portion of larger 3BR OV
2BR MV w/o Lockoff
2BR MV w/ Lockoff
2BR MV portion of larger 3BR MV

I believe each the Penthouse 2BRs are the same floorpans as above, just higher ceilings in top floor.

BigMac

Reaction score
The 2 beds sleep 8 people comfortably. I have met people at the resort that had more than 8 in their party. The front desk gave them roll-aways which were placed in the dressing area of the master bedroom.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The 2 beds sleep 8 people comfortably. I have met people at the resort that had more than 8 in their party. The front desk gave them roll-aways which were placed in the dressing area of the master bedroom.
I am surprised that a resort would knowingly allow occupancy above the specified maximum.
In other regions, they would have liability for contravening fire and health & safety regulations so would be very unlikely to allow it.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am surprised that a resort would knowingly allow occupancy above the specified maximum.
In other regions, they would have liability for contravening fire and health & safety regulations so would be very unlikely to allow it.
It varies. Some will allow prescribed overages but not supply bedding, some will provide roll aways and some will refuse. Unfortunately many are inconsistent. I've seen one resort on HHI show up at the unit with an ultimatum when they had 13 in a sleep 12 with a 2 hr window to get down to occupancy, vacate or have the reservation terminated. The big problem isn't resorts allowing over but people sneaking in extras whether it be pets or people. It has a potential impact on the guests in residence and the owners there.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It varies. Some will allow prescribed overages but not supply bedding, some will provide roll aways and some will refuse. Unfortunately many are inconsistent. I've seen one resort on HHI show up at the unit with an ultimatum when they had 13 in a sleep 12 with a 2 hr window to get down to occupancy, vacate or have the reservation terminated. The big problem isn't resorts allowing over but people sneaking in extras whether it be pets or people. It has a potential impact on the guests in residence and the owners there.
I agree. If anyone has any doubts and asks pre-arrival then the resort will provide a formal response and manage the situation accordingly.
I would rather just not see any above maximum or “sneaked in” occupancy, as this inevitably impacts on other owners / guests experience and maintenance costs.