• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Just back, Marriott Waikoloa Ocean Club

californiagirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
DAAAE033-70A6-4088-A3C4-9A1E4BE73FAD.jpeg

We returned tonight from a week at the Marriott Waikoloa Ocean Club. We had a great week. For a little background my husband and I stayed the same February/March week in 2008 on the hotel side. We did not have a good experience. The “ocean view” (not!) room, the surly staff, the property in general were all in bad shape in 2008. Our expectations were low, but we looked at the location of the MVC ocean view rooms and read recent reviews and decided to give it another try.

We had the EXACT OPPOSITE experience this time. The whole property received a facelift with half of it transitioning to timeshare. The lobby is beautiful and open air. Each and every staff member we encountered was genuinely friendly and welcoming. We were supposed to arrive at noon but our flight was cancelled because of weather 15 minutes prior to boarding. We felt very fortunate to be placed on another flight later in the day, however we arrived at 11:00 pm completely exhausted. (With the time change we had been up nearly 24 hours.) The woman at the front desk was so gracious and kind. She went out of her way to accommodate us. We expected to get the worst room in the resort. When she gave us our room keys she said this was the best ocean view, 1 bedroom on property. She was right! We were in room 6101...top floor with a direct panoramic ocean view from both rooms as well as the balcony. The sunsets were spectacular. The picture is from our balcony. Several of the reviews stated that they did not like the feel of the new rooms. We liked them. They are contemporary and the colors soothing. The couch was very comfortable to lie or sit on. The kitchen was small but had everything we needed. The toaster, blender and rice cooker are in the cabinet by the dining table.

The shops near the resort have improved since last time we were there. The Island Gourmet in Queens Marketplace is a kicked up ABC store. Full bakery, hot and cold deli, large variety of fruits and vegetables whole or sliced, meat counter in addition to general groceries. The warm mochi mango malasadas are delicious. It’s a good thing I can not get them near my house. :)

Bottom line I would go back there and would highly recommend this property. I’d be happy to answer questions.

michael49

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Ocean Club, Waiohai Beach Club, Desert Springs II, Manor Club (Original Section), DC points
Excellent review, very similar to our experience last month. We were also on the 6th floor, only ocean front (6110?). Our only disagreement with this review is with the decor; we would prefer a more Hawaiian themed room. But to each his/her own!!!! Thanks for your comments.

Quimby4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV II
Riviera Beach Spa Resort (deed back 2018)
Great info!
How was the beach at the resort? Could you enter the water easily from the sand? Rocks, coral etc?
Did you trade via II or use points?

californiagirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I only entered the water to snorkel. I entered on the right side of the bay. Very rocky and hard on the feet. It may be sandier toward the center. Water shoes are highly recommended. There are thermal vents in the bay, as a result there pockets of warmer water.

Quimby4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV II
Riviera Beach Spa Resort (deed back 2018)
I only entered the water to snorkel. I entered on the right side of the bay. Very rocky and hard on the feet. It may be sandier toward the center. Water shoes are highly recommended. There are thermal vents in the bay, as a result there pockets of warmer water.
Did you trade via II or use DC points?

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I love Island Gourmet. I got quite attached to their Poke, and we also liked their selection of prepared meats.

Lv2Trvl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Aloha. We have been 3x since Waikoloa opened the timeshare section. All with destination points. Nov '17, Nov '18 and April '19 (to be on island for Merrie Monarch Festival) I think the first stay was in your 6101 villa. Great view. We have stayed out in the "ocean front" villas, they are huge!!! For so many years MVC said something on Hawaii Island was coming, so when it came, we were ready! The big change was when Hawaiian Airlines added the nonstop flight KOA-LIH. So now, it is easy, no plane change on HNL! Our destination is always a couple of weeks at Waiohai. Yes, the villas are a bit modern, but nice and new. Can just look outside and get lots of Hawaiian. considering it is a hotel conversion, we think they did a great job. And yes, the sofas are comfortable, not back breaking! And LavaLava is a short beach walk away! We will be back in spring 2020 on the way to Kauai!
Aloha!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk