• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Betrayed by AARP

Aurelius

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone gone with Wesley Financial Group? What was the experience? Just reading how there process works, they give you a free consultation, review your situation to see if you are qualify and they say you pay nothing if they don't successfully get rid of your timeshare. i want to know how these groups work, so i would to hear from anybody that has gone this route.

Typically they use the same methods you can use yourself - deedbacks or resale ($1 on ebay, cover closing costs). I've heard some of these companies instruct you to just stop paying to gain leverage. They typically string you along long enough so that you can't dispute the CC charge. Scam.

Larry M

TUG Member
Reaction score
When my wife and I joined AARP, we thought they were a benevolent society specifically for seniors. At the time, we were unaware that they were a lobbying group that is on the opposite of almost every issue that is important to us. We believe in free minds and free markets. We have since cancelled our memberships and joined American Seniors instead. They actually have some useful travel benefits such as Trip Beat Vacation Rentals.
We also believe in free minds and free markets. We found AARP's policies to benefit seniors at the expense of everyone else.

We switched to AMAC, their tiny competitor, who promised a more fiscally conservative approach. Sadly, AMAC was also socially conservative, strongly mixing religion with politics. Now that the AMAC membership has lapsed, we are reduced to discounts for veterans and for some social and professional organizations we belong to.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Wow, I just have to say my piece on AARP. They are one of the finest and most valuable organizations I belong to. This will probably get me ostracized here, but I have more problems with TUG than with AARP.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, I just have to say my piece on AARP. They are one of the finest and most valuable organizations I belong to. This will probably get me ostracized here, but I have more problems with TUG than with AARP.

You had to know this was coming so... care to elaborate for the audience?

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
We also believe in free minds and free markets. We found AARP's policies to benefit seniors at the expense of everyone else.

We switched to AMAC, their tiny competitor, who promised a more fiscally conservative approach. Sadly, AMAC was also socially conservative, strongly mixing religion with politics. Now that the AMAC membership has lapsed, we are reduced to discounts for veterans and for some social and professional organizations we belong to.

I was about to reply - there is nothing wrong with this, but then I read:

And even though we are likely on the opposite end of the political spectrum, I strongly agree with you that is one mix I prefer to avoid.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

We belonged to AMAC also, but let the membership lapse. But only because we really did not see any benefit to being a member and the magazine bored me to death. LOL!

We belonged to AARP and then decided the same- no real benefits. Then the political aspect came to our attention and now for sure we would not join. I did like their magazine, though- but it was a long time ago that we were members, so I am sure now I would probably hate it as well.

tomt73

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lake Placid Club Lodges, Las Brisas de Santa Fe.
Found the same ad on page 39 of the latest issue, (February/March 2019). Will write the magazine.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
For years AARP had this deal if you joined you would get this really cool igloo tote. Later I came across a slew of complaints. Apparently the igloo tote was like the size of a small clutch purse.

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
Found the same ad on page 39 of the latest issue, (February/March 2019). Will write the magazine.

At least it was on page 39 instead of 5!

Thanks for writing to them. I know I’m overly optimistic to hope they’ll forgo the advertising revenue, but maybe it will help in some way.

Reaction score
As a side note, I am appointed to sell United Healthcare's AARP Medicare Advantage and Medicare Supplement plans in Florida. If you read the fine print, AARP pays UHC to use their logo. And in doing so, senior citizens can sign up for AARP through the Medicare plan.

TS

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
I’ve been trying to unscribe to the endless emails from AARP. I just now report them all as spam now. Ugh

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, I just have to say my piece on AARP. They are one of the finest and most valuable organizations I belong to....
AARP does several extremely valuable things, such as combating scammers who target the elderly, and helping people cope with widowhood. However, like others here, I don't like their politics -- especially their insistence that health problems due to aging are actually caused by "poor lifestyles." They seem to have overlooked the fact that humans are mortal.

Why do they argue against the idea that problems due to aging are in fact, due to aging? Probably because this argument helps their financial agenda, which is largely based on the claim that health problems do not increase based on age. Instead, all those older Type 2 diabetics need medicine because they are EVIL, and want to leach off of society by having their insulin paid for, just to spite everyone. "Bwah ha ha ha ha, I love having diabetes so I can financially exploit people, and I have no desire to get better!" said no Type 2 diabetic, ever.

I am a Type 2 diabetic, and I certainly want to get better. My problems from Type 2 diabetes are life-threatening, despite doing everything one is supposed to do to stop Type 2 diabetes. Unfortunately, most of the things my physicians said to do actually have now been shown to make Type 2 diabetes worse. This is particularly true of following a high-carb, low fat diet with plenty of fructose-laden fruits and veggies. (Literally, fructose means "fruit sugar." It's not just in High Fructose Corn Syrup.) Many of the older drugs used to treat Type 2 diabetes make the problem worse in the long run.

OK, I am going way off-topic. But I am an established researcher who has published on the topic of Type 2 diabetes and lifestyle. Anyone who wants to know what actually works for Type 2 diabetes, or who wants to advocate on behalf of people with this horrible disease, please contact me.

Has anyone gone with Wesley Financial Group? What was the experience? Just reading how there process works, they give you a free consultation, review your situation to see if you are qualify and they say you pay nothing if they don't successfully get rid of your timeshare. i want to know how these groups work, so i would to hear from anybody that has gone this route.
No experienced TUG member is ignorant and/or foolish enough to fall for one of the "big up front fee" scams. So, no, no one here has tried these con artists. I see you have only three posts but joined six months ago. So, I honestly don't know if you are a shill for these con artists or asking a perfectly honest question.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I guess BocaBoy and I have waded into an anti-AARP pool-party. While there are bones-to-pick or find fault with, like BocaBoy, I find our membership useful. I've used their discounts at restaurants (list below) and car rentals (compared to AAA, Priceline & others), and found their financial calculators useful. I've also used their 2pm check-out hotel benefit. We attend meetings of a local chapter at a nearby senior activity center, more for social purposes. Their Foundation does many good things, like a volunteer-run tax prep service.

Also, much of their lobbying actually benefits seniors, such as Medicare nursing home coverage... If you are in the hospital for 3-days or less, you are likely to be classified as "under observation" or "out-patient," then Medicare Part "A" doesn't apply and your time doesn't qualify you for follow-up nursing home care (only "in-patient" status counts). AARP supports a bipartisan bill which says that says it counts.

Restaurants I frequent that have an AARP discount:
Bonefish, Bubba Gump, Carrabba's, Chart House, Denny's, Outback, & Rainforest.