• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The "do not disturb, room occupied, etc" door hanger

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We just returned from a trip to Orlando - we always hang whatever "sign" is provided on the door. If we have a washer/dryer it will be out there for the week. If we don't then I will take it down when we need clean towels. The sign has always been respected....except for this week. 3 times, in 2 different resorts.

DVC Saratoga:
Day 2 and 3: sign up - I notice our trash has been taken out.
Day 4: I give up and take the sign down - got towels and trash.
Remainder of the stay - sign up and no services

Westin Swan Resort - we were only there for 2 nights, but even with the sign up they came in, replaced towels, took out trash, made master bed (left sofa bed a mess).

Maybe I'm just use to MCV or the other TS we stay in. I assumed the sign meant leave me alone....does it really mean knock first, then ok to enter???

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
2nd Try:
"Do Not Disturb" = betcha curious.

Last edited:

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
After the shooting in Vegas from Mandalay Bay into the crowd at a concert venue on October 1, 2017, I thought it became policy with all major hotel chains. Disney followed suit and housekeeping is supposed to enter the rooms or units daily.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Manhattan Club in NYC. Housekeeping would routinely leave my door wide open after they had finished cleaning. I complained bitterly to management and they could have cared less. Last trip I left the “do not disturb” up. I did allow housekeeping to come in daily and change towels and I tipped each time.

On the 3rd day the head of housekeeping and a security guy came and said they had to inspect my room since I had the sign up for 3 days. The kids were still in their Pjs on the pull out sofa playing on their iPads. All they could do is just stand there and look around.

linsj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
I've never had a problem leaving the sign on the door at a timeshare. At hotels, I also let the front desk know I don't need housekeeping that day or x days, so they tell housekeeping. Works great. Some Marriott hotels even give bonus points for a day or two of no housekeeping--but you have to let the front desk know.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We just returned from a trip to Orlando - we always hang whatever "sign" is provided on the door. If we have a washer/dryer it will be out there for the week. If we don't then I will take it down when we need clean towels. The sign has always been respected....except for this week. 3 times, in 2 different resorts.

DVC Saratoga:
Day 2 and 3: sign up - I notice our trash has been taken out.
Day 4: I give up and take the sign down - got towels and trash.
Remainder of the stay - sign up and no services

Westin Swan Resort - we were only there for 2 nights, but even with the sign up they came in, replaced towels, took out trash, made master bed (left sofa bed a mess).

Maybe I'm just use to MCV or the other TS we stay in. I assumed the sign meant leave me alone....does it really mean knock first, then ok to enter???

Maybe they don't read English.

But what is the point of having the sings then if they do not adhere to them? I don't get it.

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Same but different topic...The "hang your towel up to save energy" I always hang my towel up and they always change it out.....Maybe it is a language problem

LStormont

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hang the sign up because I don't want the room disturbed. At Disney, they told me they'd have to come by once a day for a wellness check - which I was completely ok with. They knocked, I answered, they left.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
After Mandalay Bay, I can see an argument being made to check the room.

We are private people and don't need the linens changed every day. I would call housekeeping and tell them that we/I (when on business) did not need my room serviced in addition to my "Do not Disturb"

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
At my timeshare I expect to not be disturbed, especially with a washer/dryer in or near the unit. At a Hotel type timeshare pretty much expect a knock every day and at least a midweek freshening.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
I think those days are pretty much over after the shooting in Las Vegas. Just one more security measure that we should be thankful for given the times.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
At one of our timeshares I love that they come by every day to empty the trash and replace towels if needed and give you supplies and also once during the week to clean and change the bed linens! It's really no big deal. It takes just a few minutes and they are in and out. And the cleaning day- we are usually out anyway doing things.