• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RedWeek Needs Your Input About Kitchens

What kind of oven makes a kitchen in a timeshare Full?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tink10

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello Tug!

It's Valerie from RedWeek.com & we need your input...

We're researching the Westin kitchens and want your thoughts. Assuming that a kitchen has all of the other amenities (dishwasher, stovetop, fridge etc), what kind of oven do you think makes a kitchen a "Full" kitchen.

Please take our poll....We'd love your feedback!

Thanks!

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
Has to be something that creates radiant (vs. microwave) heat.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
tink10 - thank you for asking for our input!

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Westin South has studios with those convection/ microwaves, I think. I like having a real oven.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Westin Ka'anapali North has convection/microwaves.

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure that Lagunamar only has the microwave/convection combo as well

2disneydads

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with the requirement for radiant heat.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

tink10

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks you all so much for sharing your thoughts...We really do appreciate it!

(Please feel free to keep voting) :)

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Thanks you all so much for sharing your thoughts...We really do appreciate it!

(Please feel free to keep voting) :)

Thanks for asking. Do you want other suggestions to improve RedWeek listing info?

The kitchens vary quite a bit between the various VSE resorts, and within the resorts. (e.g. WKORV and WSJ have different kitchens depending on location and/or phase).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
I, personally, think that a full kitchen requires a conventional oven. The micro/convection ovens just aren't used widely enough for the average consumer to know how to use them. And they're smaller than a regular oven.

A few years ago, we visited Westin Ka'anapali North when I was an owner, and made the mistake of buying a pizza from Costco. I forgot that the oven was a micro/convection. I had to slice it up into sections to even get it to fit and then had to research on the internet (which was wonky, adding to my frustration) how to cook it in a micro/convection oven.

I'd say 99% of consumers know how to operate a conventional oven. My guess is that less than 10% use microwave/convection ovens on a regular basis.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Westin Kaanapali North isn't a full kitchen, imo. There are many things that are impossible or at least very difficult to prepare.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Having a conventional oven to make a full kitchen would eliminate most VSE villas.

Which ones do?
WKORV OFD 1Bd
WSJ VGV

Not WKV or WPORV

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I think a microwave/convection if fine for the bullet point but if it doesn't have a regular oven there should be an additional notation. I think if it is a full kitchen in every other way it shouldn't be lumped in with partial kitchens which sometimes can be very partial. the other option would be to make another option for full kitchen with microwave/convection oven only.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I think a microwave/convection if fine for the bullet point but if it doesn't have a regular oven there should be an additional notation. I think if it is a full kitchen in every other way it shouldn't be lumped in with partial kitchens which sometimes can be very partial. the other option would be to make another option for full kitchen with microwave/convection oven only.

Good point as we've seen "partial kitchen" mean two-burner cooktop, microwave oven and dorm-size fridge.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
This is a beef I often have with ovens in Vistana properties. They will have a burner cook top but no oven. Lagunamar comes to mind. Why not put in an oven? You already have the counter space eaten up with the cooktop.

That said, 1BR and 2BR Lagunamar has a pretty complete kitchen and one could consider it a full kitchen. However, the lack of oven needs to be called out. Perhaps Full Kitchen with Oven and Full Kitchen w/o Oven are better descriptions?

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)

Good point as we've seen "partial kitchen" mean two-burner cooktop, microwave oven and dorm-size fridge.

If you compare either to the non-kitchen kitchens found in Marriotts (even two bedroom Marriotts such as the new Waikoloa Ocean Club as well as the Maui Ocean Club and Kauai Beach Club), we have it good in Vistana-land. To relegate a kitchen to "partial" because it has a small convection oven misses the forest for the trees -- and would create such a broad definition of what is a "partial kitchen" as to be meaningless.

I would not have a small convection oven as the only oven in my home kitchen, but to me, it qualifies as an oven because you can bake in it (very few of us bake large pizzas or turkeys at timeshares).

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I consider a full vs limited kitchen solely based on size and assume it has sufficient amenities. That said, even Nanea has a limited kitchen in my opinion due of the lack of counter space. It’s not just an oven that matters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
I have weeks at Kierland, Harborside and Lagunamar. None of them have real ovens. I find Harborside particularly aggravating because they don’t have grills. I think it is a plot to force us into the Atlantis restaurants. I always check a bag with an electric grill in it.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
If i i remember correctly, at Lagunamar in the studios there are microwave/convection combo ovens, good enough for most cooking in the room. Since the space is limited in those units, i just do not see where a full oven would fit.

But frankly, i do not understand where this poll is going, what is its purpose, maybe Redweek can offer some details

upload_2019-3-23_19-34-38.png

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
I think most people are used to studios having a small kitchen. In fact Lagunamar studios have better kitchenettes than any others I’ve seen. I’m not surprised that Redweek is asking this question. I’m sure they get a lot of push-back from renters who think they are getting a traditional range with oven when it’s posted as a full kitchen. I always feel a little guilty calling it a full kitchen when I post the Vistana units for rent. My big disappointment is Harborside with no grills though. Timeshares should have either an oven or a grill at the very least if not both.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Many on RedWeek fail to list their rentals completely- or post photos of the rentals.
Never understood why - only takes a few more minutes.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sadly, a lot of the high end branded timeshares have replaced ranges with cooktops and microwave/convection ovens. The kitchens look great, but they don't really function like a full "home" kitchen. It's not a deal breaker for most vacationers (including me), but it's definitely a plus when a unit has an oven.