• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Incentive for attending MVC presentations

mickeypops

Reaction score
We were visiting Miami from the UK last November and had a pretty “hard sell” experience, and have vowed never to attend another presentation.

jlepstein1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ocean Pointe, Beachplace, Barony
We were at Oceana Palms last week. They offered us three Simon gift cards with a total value of $275. We used the cards at local restaurants and shops. We are Chairman's Club and don't want to buy any more points. There were three salespeople. The first was a pleasant young woman who tried to make small talk by asking us too many questions about our family. But eventually she got down to business and told us about some of the ways we could use our points to book vacations at non Marriott resorts. After some time she realized that we were not interested and left for a rather long period of time. Then she introduced us to a young guy who looked like a former football player, asked us no questions about how, where and why we take vacations, and immediately launched into a detailed and aggressive explanation of how we could spend $37,000 (less special incentives!) to buy additional points. After a decent interval I finally told him that we were not interested in buying more points. Then he left and a third saleserson replaced him. She seemed to understand that this session was not going to lead to a sale but she made one last attempt by introducing the concept that we could buy more points, book more weeks and rent out the additional units that we did not use.....and we could receive more money in rental income than we spent for management fees. She conveniently disregarded the cost of purchasing the additional weeks and the work involved in renting these weeks. It was a long shot, and she knew it, and she got no traction. So eventually she gave up the ghost and told us the session was over. We said thank you and departed. All in all it took a bit over 1 hour. Where else can you make $275 tax free for spending one hour in a pleasant location with free coffee and snacks?

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
Jlep, many of us would look at that as one hour of your vacation time wasted that you will never get back. As I’ve said in a prior post on this topic, most of us have our “price” for attending presentations and if they meet your price, go for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dougef

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Marriott's Grande Vista
Our last two presentations were so unpleasant (one actually had me yelling at the sales guy) that my wife is refusing to go to any more.

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
At MFC currently and the offer was 15k MRP, 150 AMEX card or 200 DC points. Basically told them they have to double those offers to get me to attend. Rep said she couldn't do that and I have not been pestered about it since. Today is the start of week 7 (pres. week) and they usually call and up the offer but with the Reef sales office closed I don't think it will happen this year.

jlepstein1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ocean Pointe, Beachplace, Barony
Jlep, many of us would look at that as one hour of your vacation time wasted that you will never get back. As I’ve said in a prior post on this topic, most of us have our “price” for attending presentations and if they meet your price, go for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Luvtoride....thanks for your comments. Actually I found it an enjoyable hour. I find commissioned timeshare salesmen/saleswomen to be quite fascinating. They can be very creative. They come up with all kinds of crazy reasons why we should spend a fortune to buy points at absurd retail prices when we can rent them or buy them for much less money. This may surprise you, but I really look forward to these presentations. And the $275 is the icing on the cake.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Animal Kingdom
We stayed at the Marriott Aruba Hotel, did a presentation and was upfront with the rep about owning DVC. He "cut to the chase", was very professional, stuck to the promised 90 minutes. We were back on the beach after 90 minutes and had a $150 Gift Certificate. We used it for dinner and didn't have to use it at the hotel, but used it at a great Aruba Restaurant. Always good for us learning about other timeshares.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ah, another 35,000 points on top of last weeks 30,000 points, a profitable vacation. Took 55 minutes, she made her offer, and claimed a new ownership tier was coming in March along with many new unspecified benefits. Could be. But wasn't paying ~$40k for ~ 5,000 hybrid points.

Last edited:

mas

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MAR BeachPlace;
Cypress Harbour;
Ocean Watch;
Canyon Villas;
I find it interesting and would love to know the determining factor that goes into what the different resorts offer as an incentive. The west coast properties as a rule are offering as of this year (Jan/Feb) $200, while Grand Vista is offering $350. One difference that one should be aware of, is Shadow Ridge is offering Marriott gift cards that are restrictive to Marriott charges as opposed to Simon Gift cards which is the norm elsewhere and are accepted at many more places.

Beachspace

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Vista / Harbour Lake
The west coast properties as a rule are offering as of this year (Jan/Feb) $200, while Grand Vista is offering $350.

At Grande Vista right now on an interval exchange (but also own a 3bed here) - Concierge offered me 15k MR points or $100 Gift card..pretty weak, I wasn't impressed and he basically said have a good day. Was really hoping for that $275 AMEX that I saw earlier in the postings.

aland0524

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club - Napili Tower; Marriott Waiohai Beach Club; Westin Nanea
I didn't realize that one can "negotiate" for more incentives than the opening offer to attend the presentation. We go to the Maui Ocean Club almost every year (own 2 OF weeks at Napili and are Chairman's Club) but incentives over the years have become progressively bad. I think this year, the offer was only Bonvoy points (15K?). (I actually also like to attend presentations to get caught up on ownership and resort info but feel like we're not getting a good deal for our time.) Anybody get more than this at MOC? And for those that have been successful at negotiating more incentives, would you mind sharing some of the secrets to the "art of your deal"?

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Ocean Club Napili building, Lawai Beach Resort
I didn't realize that one can "negotiate" for more incentives than the opening offer to attend the presentation. We go to the Maui Ocean Club almost every year (own 2 OF weeks at Napili and are Chairman's Club) but incentives over the years have become progressively bad. I think this year, the offer was only Bonvoy points (15K?). (I actually also like to attend presentations to get caught up on ownership and resort info but feel like we're not getting a good deal for our time.) Anybody get more than this at MOC? And for those that have been successful at negotiating more incentives, would you mind sharing some of the secrets to the "art of your deal"?
We are Chairmans club and own OF @ MOC Napili building too. We rarely go because we turn it into tons of vacation club points. December 2018 we did use our Maui time and went to a meeting. I believe it was $125 for restaurants and or a small amount of points. When we go to Marriott VC in Tahoe or Palm Desert we are offered at least $200 and or 50,000 MP. We have never negotiated our incentives but will consider it in the future. Like you we like the update but do not need more time. I keep thinking they'll stop inviting us. Happy travels!

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
At Lakeshore now offer was $250 but we couldn't do it as told can only tour every 6 months too bad also as we were thinking of buying a bundle to get us to next level

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
We are Chairmans club and own OF @ MOC Napili building too. We rarely go because we turn it into tons of vacation club points. December 2018 we did use our Maui time and went to a meeting. I believe it was $125 for restaurants and or a small amount of points. When we go to Marriott VC in Tahoe or Palm Desert we are offered at least $200 and or 50,000 MP. We have never negotiated our incentives but will consider it in the future. Like you we like the update but do not need more time. I keep thinking they'll stop inviting us. Happy travels!

Hey Nonnie, same with us, but they just keep inviting us back. We've now gotten our adult daughters and their spouses to attend the presentations when we all go to Marriott Surf Club in Aruba each year. They attend, say they aren't interested in buying as their parents are Chairman's club (and we take them on these great vacations with us), and then they get the $175-$200 in certificates good for restaurants or activities and go out for a nice dinner on their own (with Grandma and Grandpa babysitting the kids).

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score

I have negotiated more than once. Don't always win. I just tell them the truth. i.e., 15,000 MR points is not worth my time, and they usually say are you sure, and I say yes. 1 of 2 things then happens:

1. Have a good day, and I don't go just like I said or
2. What if we could get you x, and then we start over.

deniseh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau, Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott Destination Points
We just went to Marriott's Fairway Villas in New Jersey on a Destinations Escape for a three day weekend. The first time i think we have not been invited to a presentation. I don't think they have much of a sales office there. We were there a few years ago and did go to a presentation there-one of the worst we ever did. The sales guy wasn't feeling well and wasn't very focused. Easy to say "no" though so i guess it wasn't too bad.

Safti

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just did a presentation at Canyon Villas in Scottsdale. They offered us 20K points or two rounds of golf. We have sworn off all presentations but golf in AZ in March is $200 a round. So we went, declined to purchase, told them if we had $31K that we would rather invest it in Marriott stock. Sent in their closer, offered us an Encore package and thanked us. Took less than 90 min. We really enjoyed golf though!

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Golf is crazy expensive in the Scottsdale area. For that reason we prefer to go to Palm Desert area over Scottsdale. Newport Coast area is also expensive unless you go to inland public courses but they are not as nice as resort courses.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
. . .

That 30K will be my minimum going forward. My last two Vistana presentations provided 10K and 15K Starpoints so I'm expecting 30K - 45K BONVoY points or we will just stop attending as it isn't worth less than that for me.

Datapoint (also posted in Vistana forum): Checked into the Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas North yesterday and was offered 30,000 Bonvoy points for the presentation.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Datapoint (also posted in Vistana forum): Checked into the Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas North yesterday and was offered 30,000 Bonvoy points for the presentation.
I am here now and was offered 17500 mrp for doing a nanea presentation. I politely declined. If you want to meet another tugger,I will be back at the resort tonight after sunset on Haleaka. Will probably be at the hot tub about 830pm or so. I am in 6654 if you want to call the room.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Beachspace

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Vista / Harbour Lake
I have negotiated more than once. Don't always win. I just tell them the truth. i.e., 15,000 MR points is not worth my time, and they usually say are you sure, and I say yes. 1 of 2 things then happens:

1. Have a good day, and I don't go just like I said or
2. What if we could get you x, and then we start over.

Update: we checked out today. The sales rep apparently went for option 1 above and left us alone...although around the same time, I started getting calls from MVCI about attending a 3 night package with tour at one of a dozen properties..she claimed she had no idea I was at the resort when I called (but yet didn't offer me Orlando like they usually do). Said 3 nights in NYC or D.C at the Pulse properties(studio) for $199 for 3nights...or a 2 bedroom at Hilton Head for $399 in Summer, $199 after August and $99 for 3nights in Orlando Cypress Harbour. But a $100 surcharge if I travel near a holiday and no gift card or $ after I attend the presentation. I was thinking about it but declined for now. $99 is great for orlando but we just don't want to go back in the next 6 months (we are already going back at Christmas to Harbour Lake). She also said Oceana Palms would be $450 and didn't offer me Crystal Shores (We weren't interested in Doral or Beachplace).

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just returned from Canyon Villas and received a $200 Amex gift card for attending. We could have gotten $250 if we went at 12:00pm, but the extra $50 wasn't worth losing our afternoon. We actually enjoyed the presentation, which was informative and not high pressure. Our sales person was Bill, who was very experienced and understood our current situation and needs. We were done within the 90 minutes.

pumbug

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Golf is crazy expensive in the Scottsdale area. For that reason we prefer to go to Palm Desert area over Scottsdale. Newport Coast area is also expensive unless you go to inland public courses but they are not as nice as resort courses.

We are at Phuket Beach Club Thailand attended presentation yesterday for 20,000 points.
Absolutely no pressure......less than 60 minutes ......very low key.
Easy way to get points. Over 15 years attended many of these and most were as described above, but Phuket
Was by far worth the time. Six offers to choose from we took the points.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
In advance of visit, I was offered $175 AMEX gift card or 20k Bonvoy pmts via Ocean Pointe for a 90 minute presentation update. I declined.

Kel

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were given 450 destination points for our 90 minute presentation in Park City in February. We used 300 points for one night at the start of our two week Aruba Surf Club vacation this summer. We had reserved a one bedroom ocean view room through Marriott.com for the one night for the price of $450. We have cancelled the $450 room. So it was worth the 90 minutes for us to save the $450. We are in a one bedroom ocean view for the following week and will move to a one bedroom ocean front after that. And, we still have 150 destination points to use. We are a one week lock off owner and will continue to lock off and use our week as we have since 1996.

This was kind of an intro for us to see how destination points actually work. And, not just going by what sales people have to say. Marriott Vacation Club needs to update their online points system. I can’t believe it has been in place for almost 10 years and it is not fully automated. You should not have to call to wait list. And, you should be able to release the wait list points to select something else if you see it without having to call a representative. What is up with that?

Happy travels! :)