• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How would you sell/give away an MROP week?

JulieAB

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lifetime in Hawaii, Disney's Grand Californian
I've already tried giving my red MROP weeks away in the bargain forum. I'm moving on to paid avenues so I'm looking for success stories and suggestions.

Since MROP isn't well known, I don't think buyers are searching for these weeks. So would it be better to advertise it under one of the weeks it trades with? Redweek doesn't even have an option for MROP, but I could list it under one of the resorts? See the Sea in San Diego, Hawaiian Sun Holidays in Waikiki, and Kuleana Resort on Maui seem to be the most desirable MROP has to offer. I also thought of ebay?

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
I've already tried giving my red MROP weeks away in the bargain forum. I'm moving on to paid avenues so I'm looking for success stories and suggestions.

Since MROP isn't well known, I don't think buyers are searching for these weeks. So would it be better to advertise it under one of the weeks it trades with? Redweek doesn't even have an option for MROP, but I could list it under one of the resorts? See the Sea in San Diego, Hawaiian Sun Holidays in Waikiki, and Kuleana Resort on Maui seem to be the most desirable MROP has to offer. I also thought of ebay?

Multi Resort Ownership Plan

I assume THEY own some units at each location / please confirm .
What do YOU own ?
Is it points or weeks / when doing reservation
What season is red weeks definition for this ownership ?
What is MF ?

I see they have quite a few ski locations . Are these bookable for ski season ?
IF so - when do you need to reserve ?

same question for Hawaii / when & how to reserve prime weeks ?

I see you have been a TUG member at least since 2006 and
own other timeshares .

What is your reason to dump it ?

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
They will take a deed back for (iirc) 2-3X MF. I had them send me the package then lost interest.

JulieAB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
They will take a deed back for (iirc) 2-3X MF. I had them send me the package then lost interest.
I know, but I'd use them or rent them before paying that kind of money! It's crazy!

JulieAB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Multi Resort Ownership Plan

I assume THEY own some units at each location / please confirm .
Yes, they own units in multiple locations

What do YOU own ?
I own a certificate allowing me to book any week, anywhere (an all red ownership)

Is it points or weeks / when doing reservation
weeks

What season is red weeks definition for this ownership ?
1-52

What is MF ?
$893

I see they have quite a few ski locations . Are these bookable for ski season ?
yes

IF so - when do you need to reserve ?
ideally 18 months in advance if I want to make sure I get the week I want

same question for Hawaii / when & how to reserve prime weeks ?
18 months in advance, online system or call

I see you have been a TUG member at least since 2006 and
own other timeshares .

What is your reason to dump it ?
It's complicated. We bought it for the summer socal and hawaii weeks. I didn't realize that the only socal weeks they own during summer is See the Sea, which doesn't have a/c and my husband doesn't want to stay there. We found out last summer we don't like maui (we didn't stay at that resort, but don't have a desire to return to maui anytime soon) so that leaves just hawaiian sun holidays. We like HSH a lot, but since we bought DVC, our vacation habits have changed.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Good information -
There are some very recent threads on TS ski week resorts & availability.
That could be a platform for selling .

I assume you have paid 2019 MF / have you booked ?
Could prime ski-week rental make sense to recoup MF ?
Can you book and deposit into RCI weeks / how many TPU’s ?

< I am not in need / just trying to help>
Plantation & Lifetime are probably easier to give away - since they are easier to explain how to use / trade -exchange .

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
If memory serves, MROP through Trading Places has units at Island Park Village. This is a great resort, not far from the west entrance to Yellowstone National Park. If you're a Yellowstone fan, this alone is reason enough to own MROP. Depending on the type of ownership OP has (Red-only or Red-White-Blue) it can be a great way to get a nice place near the Park every year.

Dave

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a red-white-blue rotater that I bought on eBay for $1.25. I started to write an informational blurb about it, but it sounded like an ad. Never mind.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
The biggest turn off for me is the check in day being Friday. I'm not sure why VRI can't manage Sat to Sat, Sun to Sun or Wen to Wen check in.

Bill

JulieAB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I guess I'll have to research skiing. I have no clue what's valuable. I've been able to rent out everything to cover my maintenance fees, but I'd rather find an owner that wants it. The 2 bedroom oceanfront see the sea units are pretty awesome for that maint fee. I was hoping it'd be our annual summer getaway with many happy memories for the kids, but my husband doesn't want to deal with no a/c.

It looks like I have to pay per resort ad on redweek. Should I try my hand at ebay instead? I worry about someone getting mad thinking I'm trying to sell a bait and switch trying to advertise for one resort when the underlying ownership is just a mini-system.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I guess I'll have to research skiing. I have no clue what's valuable. I've been able to rent out everything to cover my maintenance fees, but I'd rather find an owner that wants it. The 2 bedroom oceanfront see the sea units are pretty awesome for that maint fee. I was hoping it'd be our annual summer getaway with many happy memories for the kids, but my husband doesn't want to deal with no a/c.

It looks like I have to pay per resort ad on redweek. Should I try my hand at ebay instead? I worry about someone getting mad thinking I'm trying to sell a bait and switch trying to advertise for one resort when the underlying ownership is just a mini-system.

Julie, when I sold my MROP I did it on eBay. The point is to offer it as a Mini-System, where the ownership gets access to all those resort options. If VRI still has their listing of resorts, it showed the great locations available. You can structure the ad to show that for MF dollars of $$$, the new Owner could have the option of choosing from among "all these resorts." Invite Buyers to ask questions, if they're unsure. No bait and switch that way. If there have been any successful ads on Redweek or eBay lately that have sold, you might structure your ad after them. Worth a shot - if it doesn't sell, you're not out anything. Learn what didn't work, and try it again. Good luck!

Dave

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Julie, I dug a bit deeper. Turns out I didn't sell on eBay, I gave my MROP week away right here on Tug. This thread is the one that lists how I described it. https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...week-free-to-a-good-home.194258/#post-1489177

Digging even deeper into my records, I found the transfer document I had notarized and sent to MROP to transfer the week to the new owner. Since it was a roster-only thing, there is no underlying deed recording required, so nothing fancy to change, and no escrow required. The fee at the time was $120 to transfer the name to the new owner. MROP had provided a packet with the paperwork they required. You may want to contact them and ask for the transfer paperwork packet, so you'll have what you need. It's been six years since i did it, and things may be different now.

Hope this helps a bit.

Dave

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Digging even deeper into my records, I found the transfer document I had notarized and sent to MROP to transfer the week to the new owner. Since it was a roster-only thing, there is no underlying deed recording required, so nothing fancy to change, and no escrow required.

I, too, gave away my MROP all Red Week on TUG. As described above it was a simple process once I found a taker. This was back before VRI got involved. It was a long time ago that I owned my MROP Week but my recollection is that I always reserved a Week in Jackson Hole as early as I could then deposited it into RCI and got great trades. Now that they are part of VRI that may not be doable or even desirable...

George

maggie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own a rotating red/white/blue MROP week. I also own several other weeks and am finding it difficult to use all the time I have so I am interested in this thread. I may give my MROP away too. I have used the weeks I requested to go to Zion National Park and Washington state. I've also deposited weeks into Trading Places and gotten trades that I wanted. I recently deposited a week into RCI. The way it works is that you request a week in VRI, then either use it or deposit it into Trading Places, RCI or II. You could rent it out too but I haven't tried that. Some of the resorts participate in only RCI or II and some are both. For example, Canyon Villas at Coral Ridge, which is a very nice 3 bedroom condo near Zion NP, is RCI or Trading Places. I have found dealing with VRI to be easy and pleasant.

ski_sierra

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Too many
It looks like a very interesting program. The locations are amazing but the quality of accommodation concerns me. I might be interested in owning these weeks once I can checkout the places. But I don't want to end up in a situation like the OP.

If any MROP owners want to make reservations for me for summer 2020 onwards, feel free to PM me. Hopefully you can recover your MFs if you are not able to transfer the weeks.

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I owned three of these MROPs, years ago. I deeded two back to the management company (it was just a $250 fee back then.) I gave one away here on TUG to someone who wanted access to special booking privileges in the Pacific Northwest. All three were all-red, not red/white/blue rotators, though, which made it much easier.

Virtually any timeshare that cannot book red season each and every year will be a liability. But, this could be much worse. A lot of folks used to pay the big bucks to a developer for a week that was blue each year. (This is much less likely with most point systems, which often sell a blended average of all seasons. Blue or white weeks that have been "converted" to points are still a pitfall, though.)

Make sure you check with VRI to see if this has special booking privileges. If it does, you will probably want to advertise the week with the location that matches the special privileges. Remember that some locations are red all year. If so, this week will only be able to book there one year in three.

You will likely need to pre-pay some annual fees to make this desirable. Still, if it's less than the deed back, it's worthwhile. Check with VRI to see if, should you decide to do a deedback, the fees you paid will count towards the expense.

Then, pick up one (or more) of the great peak season weeks on eBay (or here), and really start getting value for you annual fees!

Arb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does it include Shoreline Towers in Alabama?

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
So, how is the giving away going?

I did ours on Craigslist. It took about ten years, but I found new owners for six weeks at three resorts.

chemteach

TUG Member
Reaction score
In case anyone is thinking about taking on this week, I would give a solid yes vote to do so. The Kuleana location in Maui is crazy amazing. The resort quality is nothing to write home about - very basic and no AC, but the location is crazy! I stayed there last summer and will be going back in 2020. Our unit was 20 feet away from the sand beach, which was only about 20 feet wide. Turtles swam back and forth all day at the resort. A large turtle sun-bathed on the sand at the resort 2 of the 7 days. You do have to reserve the Hawaii units right when the reservations open up. I have owned 4 red weeks for about 8 years now, and they have served me well. It's one of my favorite timeshares. I usually rent out two of the units, and use 2 of the weeks for myself. They also have east coast beach locations.

JulieAB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So, how is the giving away going?

I did ours on Craigslist. It took about ten years, but I found new owners for six weeks at three resorts.

I just finished renting out the 2019 weeks and haven't gotten around to listing them anywhere. I have 2020 booked in case I need to rent out those too.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
I just finished renting out the 2019 weeks and haven't gotten around to listing them anywhere. I have 2020 booked in case I need to rent out those too.

All the time I had them for sale on CL, I also rented them out, some on CL and some through owner rental programs.