• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Aruba Has No Right Of Rescission

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would like to have this made as a sticky if at all possible. We have had several newbie posters recently who have fallen for developer sales in Aruba- some with U.S. bases timeshare companies. After the fact, they have tried to rescind the purchase, only to find that under Aruba law, there is no cooling-off period. No right of rescission. All sales are final.

This is a big problem for those who attend an (up to 6 hours have been reported) high pressure sales session and only sign to end the torture and go back to their vacation. At least in Mexico, there is 5 days to read and rescind a timeshare contract. Not so in Aruba.

If a Moderator could make this a sticky, hopefully it would help the word get out.

Jim

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would like to have this made as a sticky if at all possible. We have had several newbie posters recently who have fallen for developer sales in Aruba- some with U.S. bases timeshare companies. After the fact, they have tried to rescind the purchase, only to find that under Aruba law, there is no cooling-off period. No right of rescission. All sales are final.

This is a big problem for those who attend an (up to 6 hours have been reported) high pressure sales session and only sign to end the torture and go back to their vacation. At least in Mexico, there is 5 days to read and rescind a timeshare contract. Not so in Aruba.

If a Moderator could make this a sticky, hopefully it would help the word get out.

Jim

I can tell you that at the Marriott properties, I have NEVER sat through a presentation longer than 90 minutes and they were never high pressure. I am almost sure you have 3 days to rescind!! We have owned at the Ocean Club since 2000.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can tell you that at the Marriott properties, I have NEVER sat through a presentation longer than 90 minutes and they were never high pressure. I am almost sure you have 3 days to rescind!! We have owned at the Ocean Club since 2000.

We are very happy that your experience has been so pleasant. Others have not been so fortunate. Read through this thread: http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117720&page=2 Post 30 indicates some Dutch law that may be applied, but not Aruban since Aruba didn't exist, and just used the Dutch model. This thread is more current: http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177730 Now, as of 8/1/2012, this Aruba law firm announces that there is finally a rescission law in Aruba. Unknown when it takes effect. http://lincolngomez.com/2012/08/01/aruba-introduces-lemon-law-for-time-share-buyers-cheers/ Reading through the law, it appears the seller can charge the buyer up to 3% for voiding (cancelling) the contract.

We hope that Aruba will join with other nations in protecting consumers against high pressure sales people when they want to enjoy a vacation destination.

Jim

Margariet

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Only the law of Aruba counts. No Dutch law or European or American law. There was no time to rescind or think a signed timeshare sales contract over, until recently, but there is buyers protection when it concerns real estate, only 3 days, and the consumers protection of 5 days where the article in the other thread talks about. I don't know if the law mentioned is already applied to timeshare but this might be a solution to get out of it. However I think it is very good to warn for this on TUG. Always remember that it is hard to get out of a contract and that you are under foreign law.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nations? In the US, it's a state thang.

Maybe there are no sales in AK, DC, KS, ND, or WY
http://www.arda.org/uploadedFiles/ARDA/Government_Affairs/Government_Affairs_Call_Out_Boxes/RescissionPeriodsNov2010.pdf
your ARDA $ at work

AK, DC, KS, ND, or WY. I betcha there are more timeshare units/sales in Aruba than all these combined. Just sayin'

siesta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jim has it right, there appears to be no rescission period in Aruba.

npe1jar

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
caribbean palm
Jim has it right, there appears to be no rescission period in Aruba.
Has this changed? What about rescission for "vacation membership" contracts (similar to but expressly stated as NOT timeshares)? Thanks!