• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New York in April

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've read these 2010 - 2011 threads, and am looking for updates. We will be at Manhattan Club in April.

https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/broadway-shows-in-nyc.130969/#post-1127455

https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/new-york-city-at-holiday-time.150089/

We have tickets to Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (2 part play) for Thu/Fri nights.
Our 16 yr old son wants to see the Nintendo store/museum.
I'd like to ride the Staten Island Ferry - I can't believe it's free!

Statue of Liberty - there are some Pedestal Access tickets on the New Jersey side for the dates we are there, but none on the New York side. (Not sure why, but all of April is blocked on the NY side, while dates in March still remain, and all of May is open.) Has anyone been in the pedestal? worth it or skip it?
Before we decide to go from NJ, is it convenient to take a bus or subway, or should we plan on a cab to Liberty State Park?

To get from JFK to Manhattan Club, Rome2Rio recommends that we take the Airtrain to Jamaica, transfer to Sutphin Blvd - Archer Ave, and take the E subway to 7th Ave. 3 minute walk to Manhattan Club. Comments?

We are so excited!!

Cheers,
Maria

Last edited:

JeffC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Mauna Loa Village, Sweetwater at Kauai, Club La Costa
I’d recommend getting a car service from JFK to the Manhattan club. The subway is not really designed for people with luggage. It’s crowded , there’s lots of stairs and the turnstiles can be very finicky. It’s really “mass transit”.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Forget the subway. At Jamaica Station, take the Long Island Railroad from JFK to Penn Station. Much faster, better with bags. Same terminal where you catch the subway. Slightly more expensive but worth it. You can buy tickets at the station at the airport.

At Penn station you can either walk, Uber or take subway to Manhattan club. Depends on how many bags you have.

If you can get tickets for the crown go for it. Well worth it if weather is decent. Tickets have to be reserved months in advance during the summer.

mbh

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
As a native New Yorker, I recommend the following;
1- From JFK- If you are landing between 7 a.m. and 8 p.m.- Monday-Friday I would use the AirTrain- Subway suggestion unless you have tons of luggage. At other times a cab or car service is fine. There is way too much traffic and construction at those times not to take public transportation. The Air Train goes right from your Terminal to Jamaica Station. After exiting the AirTrain, you buy a Metrocard to exit, then you walk to the elevator to take you to the E Train. The Air Train is $5.50 and the subway is $2.75 plus a $1 charge for each Metrocard. You do not need a separate Metrocard for each person. Take the E train towards Manhattan and get off at the 7th Ave- 53rd St stop and walk to the Manhattan Club. The Long Island Railroad is more pleasant but drops you farther from the Manhattan Club.
2- April is school vacation month, so things get booked. Going for the pedestal from New Jersey, to me, depends on your length of stay. It is an all day affair from your hotel. If you have the time, go for it. If time is tight, take the Staten Island Ferry and you will get a great view as it goes right past the Statue. If you go to the Jersey side, I would Uber it. You can take public transportation, see link https://www.nps.gov/elis/planyourvisit/publictransportation.htm

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
The 911 Memorial & Museum is very moving, and very well done.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for your helpful suggestions. We arrive Sat at 4pm.

I just booked the Statue of Liberty with Pedestal from the New York side. It pays to keep checking, as I saw April 10 a few days ago, and April 11 the next day. I checked yesterday, nothing. I checked again first thing this morning, nothing. I was just heading out on an errand, and something told me to give it another try. Bingo, got April 1!!! I am happy and relieved to have gotten that.

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
How exciting for you and your 16-year old! If you don't have a lot of luggage, I highly recommend the AirTrain/Subway route. GrayFal told me about this option for my trip back in 2015, and I love it. I have a standard carryon bag with wheels, a backpack, purse, and a coat/jacket of some type. Sometimes carrying the bag up and down the stairs is a good workout, but taking mass transit is so convenient and saves money.

If you don't already have a transit app, I highly recommend an app called CityMapper that is wonderful for navigating everywhere you want to go! It is extremely accurate for everything. It lets me know what way is the fastest to go where, how much it will cost, how long it will take, etc. It provides walking, car, subway and bus times. If you are walking, it has a flashlight that points the way so you know which way to walk. I find it much more accurate than Google Maps because it knows about subway maintenance, delayed lines, closed stations, etc.

If you plan to use the subway a lot, it's worth it to get a MetroCard and load it with a 7-day pass. You would choose the option of "Add Time," and it's $32 for a week. Since each ride is $2.75, you break even at just under 12 trips (6 roundtrips), and it avoids the hassle of standing in line to add value to your cards when you are trying to get somewhere and all the other tourists are standing in line, too. If you don't plan on using the subway much, then you may only need enough to get from Jamaica Station to 7th/53rd. And if you decide to use a car service or cab to your hotel and back, then you might not need one at all.

I loved Harry Potter! Just the "marquee" and the lobby and the box office and the restrooms and the carpet and walls are impressive! I was surprised when the email prior to the show recommended getting there an hour early, but by the time we stood in line and were searched and used the restrooms, it was 1:35! That gave me enough time to look at the gift shop, take photos of the view from my seat and the inside of the theater, and marvel at how cool it all was. Where are your seats?

mbh

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear you got the NY side. Please allow plenty of time for security to board the boat.

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tradewinds, Divi, Quarter House, Casa Ybel
Some things to do in NYC:

There is a boat that goes all the way around Manhattan, called The Circle Line. I did it in middle school. They have a guide announce over the PA what landmark you are currently going by.
https://www.circleline.com/

Central Park Children’s Zoo, or even better, The Bronx Zoo

American Museum of Natural History... Kids love The Butterfly Conservatory and dinosaur exhibits, and the coffins and sarcophagi in the Egyptian exhibit

Dylan’s Candy Bar: located at 3rd Ave and 60th St, it is owned by Dylan Lauren, daughter of Ralph Lauren. There are three stories of every kind of candy you could think of

Hudson Yards: “Hudson Yards is New York’s newest neighborhood and home to more than 100 diverse shops and culinary experiences, offices for leaders in industry, significant public art and dynamic cultural institutions including The Shed, modern residences, 14 acres of public plazas, gardens and groves and the world’s first Equinox Hotel®.”
https://www.hudsonyardsnewyork.com/