• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Where to buy in CA?

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
Own in Vistana but like to add one of the Marriott Deserts or Newport to help facilitate trades into other locations. We live in CA so prefer to have a TS to drive to since a family of 7 w/ young children. Which CA Marriott would you suggest?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you want to trade in II, the Marriott desert properties lock off and you get 2 trades out of 1 week. The maintenance fees are much higher than Newport Coast. If you want to rent out the week, buy Newport Coast as it fetches good rental value but they do not lock off. Essentially you only get one trade in II out of 1 week at Newport Coast. Both locations (Desert and Newport Coast) have very high trading power.

We own 2 weeks at Desert Springs Villas I and love the 1700 sq ft space. However the studio is a separate unit, sharing a locked foyer. With young children you should look at Desert Springs Villas II. We don't like Villas II because it is much smaller, but comparable to other Marriott 2BRs, but it is also $200 cheaper in MF. We prefer Desert Springs over Shadow Ridge due to having the JW Marriott property next door where there are great dining options. Folks with young children may also prefer Shadow Ridge. We don't like Shadow Ridge and will leave others to comment.

Last edited:

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
I would also recommend looking at DSV. However, since you have a family of 7 you might prefer the set up at DSV1. The studio room has 2 beds. The studio in DSVII has one bed and a hide a bed. DSV1 also includes use of the facilities at the JW Marriott right next door Mondaythrough Friday. That includes their pool, tennis courts, Bocci ball, basketball, etc. That is one reason the MFs are higher than DSVII.

Best regards.

Mike

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm with VacationForever. With young kids, I doubt you'd want a separate entrance for the studio, but that's up to you to decide. There are many differences between dsv1 and dsv2, but I think that is the most relevant for your case. If you do not, then, dsv2 is definitely the better choice. I also dislike Shadow Ridge. You will definitely get great trades if red season.

Since your question is which to own.... I would say dsv2 for sure. Why? Even if you want to stay at dsv1, you can easily trade in virtually any season. This year, I initially had traded my dsv2 lockoff for a dsv1 2BR, but then decided against it as I wanted to extend the stay and a 1BR was cheaper points wise and there's only 2 of us. Why would I want to pay more MF when I can stay at either for less MF. This only applies if you are going to buy II membership (not enrolled) anyway, as if you intend to always occupy, then, decide based upon the separate entrances as mentioned.

Last edited:

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
While the studio has a separate door that locks inside the foyer, we just prop it open with a chair or door stopper we bring, so it wasn’t ever a problem for us or our kids. The outside door to the foyer is locked. We like the larger sized units and access to the JW facilities.

If the OP has the opportunity I would recommend visiting the resort and ask to see a unit in each resort, so they can judge for themselves. Go after 10am, so there may be some rooms being vacated and cleaned.

Best regards.

Mike

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
Thank you everyone. We are actually older parents so the hustle and bustle of a family resort isn’t truly appealing. Love Newport but I wish it was a LO. Well, I will begin my search.

Thanks again.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you everyone. We are actually older parents so the hustle and bustle of a family resort isn’t truly appealing. Love Newport but I wish it was a LO. Well, I will begin my search.

Thanks again.

The good thing about either dsv is in late winter, when it's quite warm there every year (except this year), we see very few kids. There is no hustle and bustle, even when DSV is full, you'd never really know it. Sometimes I like resorts with the noise, but not my Feb trips out to the desert. Yes, love Newport too.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Thanks again.
If you don't like the hustle and bustle of a family resort, then Desert Springs is the right choice for you. Shadow Ridge is "family" oriented, which means lots of young children. ;)

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
I like to go to Palm Desert in Oct to December. It is a great time of year - - weather wise.

So, I bought a couple of "white weeks". They trade pretty well. I annually exchange into Newport Coast (this year I used an efficiency to snag a 2 BR, but usually use a 1 BR to exchange). I also exchange into Timberlodge (M - Tahoe). But in retrospect, I may have been smarter spending a couple thousand more and bought a red week.

I typically use my efficiencies to trade up into a 1 or 2 BR in DSV1, DSV2 or Shadow Ridge. I haven't had much luck in exchanging into them in Feb or March. That is where a Red week might help.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Own in Vistana but like to add one of the Marriott Deserts or Newport to help facilitate trades into other locations. We live in CA so prefer to have a TS to drive to since a family of 7 w/ young children. Which CA Marriott would you suggest?
If you'll use it part of the time then I'd suggest the Desert resorts Gold or Platinum unless you'd mostly want to stay at NC. Match the timing of the season to when you'd use it and if that doesn't matter much, base it on price and buy Gold unless you can get a great deal on Platinum. If you won't hardly use it and want to go to other places mostly (then you might consider LV or a different trading property). My thoughts are based on trading part of the time, for usage all else equal it sounds like DS is your best option but all are good options.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
If you'll use it part of the time then I'd suggest the Desert resorts Gold or Platinum unless you'd mostly want to stay at NC. Match the timing of the season to when you'd use it and if that doesn't matter much, base it on price and buy Gold unless you can get a great deal on Platinum. If you won't hardly use it and want to go to other places mostly (then you might consider LV or a different trading property). My thoughts are based on trading part of the time, for usage all else equal it sounds like DS is your best option but all are good options.
I’m thinking the same. I prefer to go part time and have trading power. One day, we do want to go to Maui

cp73

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
As far as the desert seasons go I would recommend that you go with the Red/Platinum seasons. This will get you in the desert at the prime time of year and also allow you to go during school easter breaks. Those are also the season that have the greatest trading power and rentals. In addition in the desert summer and out of season rentals are very cheap, way less than the maintenance fees. Through II you can rent them for your own use for around $600-$800 a week in off season.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
Thanks.

Beachspace

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Vista / Harbour Lake
I was watching a no reserve Shadow Ridge 2-BR Platinum L/O on eBay and it just closed for $3300 with free closing costs...

Was that a pretty good deal? I was trying to keep it under $2k and use it as a trader for now as I heard Shadow Ridge locks off into 2 separate 1 bedrooms? (or is that the Enclaves only property? )

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was watching a no reserve Shadow Ridge 2-BR Platinum L/O on eBay and it just closed for $3300 with free closing costs...

Was that a pretty good deal? I was trying to keep it under $2k and use it as a trader for now as I heard Shadow Ridge locks off into 2 separate 1 bedrooms? (or is that the Enclaves only property? )

You can see some of the recent sales (attempts) on rofr.net, it appears Marriott exercised ROFR on a $4,000 sale last year. Sales on Redweek have gone from $800 to $6,500.

I believe the Deluxe rooms can lockoff for trading purposes into 2 1BR units. Those are in the Enclaves and there is a mixture of ones that do not count as 2 1BR and those that do. There are not a lot of the deluxe units.

jpa2825

TUG Member
Reaction score
1 minor clarification, I think DSVI has access to JW Marriott during weekday but there may be a small charge if using facilities at JW on the weekends. We've only been there during FEB and never been charged for using facilities, but it is in the written material.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club

I was in the bidding war for that but whomever was top bid was going to push to 4K and we already own multiple TS.