• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin Timeshare

LFE

Reaction score
Well... good thing I found this site!

Went to WDW this past week via a mailer for 4N for $3xx (forgot the exact amount) and then got $75 amex and then another $100 amex for 90 minute sales pitch, walked away thinking it's a nice resort, we like the idea of timeshare, but don't like the price being offered and needed our own time to research, never knew there was a secondary market...

Spent some time on this site, and now my head is spinning

Couple of questions (I'm sure many more to come), I don't like their current offering, so if I were to buy a mandatory, like WKV:
- I can either use the home deeded week and reserve 12 months in advance or use the option points and reserve another westin 8 months out?
- Can I split the stay (in deeded week or option points on another resort) like 3 days in some time and 2 days in another (depending on points)
- If I don't have enough points, is there a program where I can purchase the remainder for more days?

Thanks in advance

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Welcome LFE! Glad you escaped from the sales presentation alive!
- I can either use the home deeded week and reserve 12 months in advance or use the option points and reserve another westin 8 months out?
YES

- Can I split the stay (in deeded week or option points on another resort) like 3 days in some time and 2 days in another (depending on points)
YES - at 8 months before check-in.

- If I don't have enough points, is there a program where I can purchase the remainder for more days?
NO - Staroptions (not points) represent the yearly usage of the underlying deed, so they aren't available independently from owning the deed. However, you can borrow Staroptions from the next year, or save up Staroptions for 2 years, for a big trip. Or buy another timeshare and combine the Staroptions when needed.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Can you combine StarOptions from two different mandatory properties to make one single reservation? For example, 81,000 StarOptions from WKV + 67,100 StarOptions from SVV to make one single reservation for 148,100 StarOptions at WKORV?

2disneydads

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you combine StarOptions from two different mandatory properties to make one single reservation? For example, 81,000 StarOptions from WKV + 67,100 StarOptions from SVV to make one single reservation for 148,100 StarOptions at WKORV?
Yes, at 8 months out.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)

At 8-months out or less...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN-OF, SVVx3, SBP, MKO-OV, MWR
You will be asked to pay additional clean up fee ($38?) for each additional stay. I think you might be able to talk through with front desk and try to have it waived?

LFE

Reaction score
Thanks for such a quick response

So looking at the seasons for WKV (and only looking at high season), platinum seems to be the one, however people mention platinum plus, is there such a thing, if so, what’s the difference?

Does it matter when I buy the timeshare (let’s say I buy high season, platinum) for the 8 month in advance window?

Also, looks like 1bd (small) = 67k option, 1bd (large) = 81k, 2bd = 148k, is this always true?

Looking at redweek, sometimes the description is not very descriptive...

(Lastly, do people use brokers, or know any good ones, I don’t think I necessarily have the time to look for daily deals, lol)

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
You will be asked to pay additional clean up fee ($38?) for each additional stay. I think you might be able to talk through with front desk and try to have it waived?

You receive one included mid week tidy cleaning for each bedroom based on your deed. There’s probably a better way to explain it... but if you have a 2-bed lockout and use it as two separate weekly stays in a 1-bed then there is no additional fee. You get two cleanings. It’s only at the third cleaning and beyond that you would pay a fee. I know, I end up paying this a few times every year...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Thanks for such a quick response

So looking at the seasons for WKV (and only looking at high season), platinum seems to be the one, however people mention platinum plus, is there such a thing, if so, what’s the difference?

Does it matter when I buy the timeshare (let’s say I buy high season, platinum) for the 8 month in advance window?

Also, looks like 1bd (small) = 67k option, 1bd (large) = 81k, 2bd = 148k, is this always true?

Looking at redweek, sometimes the description is not very descriptive...

(Lastly, do people use brokers, or know any good ones, I don’t think I necessarily have the time to look for daily deals, lol)

WKV high season use to be called Platinum then they changed the names and now it’s Platinum Plus. The weeks with 148k StarOptions are Platinum Plus, and that’s the best to purchase (or the 1-bed units in the same seasons for either 67k or 81k SOs). Not all 1-beds have the same amount, but any 148k 2-bed splits as 67 and 81.

Your underlying week deed is all that matters to determine the season in which it’s in, as that is how the SOs are assigned when using it as a club trade within the network (ie. not a home resort reservation).

Syed is a respected broker and I believe helps with all transactions even though he’s in Maui. I’ve referred several to him who speak positively about his service. I’m sure someone will post his contact info for you and if not, just search TUG (I don’t have it handy).

LFE

Reaction score
Any benefits to buying 1bd EOY evens and odds instead of just buying annual?

(Stupid question, are MF annually even if the deed is EOY)?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Any benefits to buying 1bd EOY evens and odds instead of just buying annual?

(Stupid question, are MF annually even if the deed is EOY)?
The only drawback of EOY is that you will still pay the VSN fee every year. So if it is your only ownership, it reduces the value by driving up the MF/SO ratio. For EOY you pay the MF every year but only pay 50% of the amount of an annual ownership. I don't know if they tack on the $30 EOY fee at WKV. I know they don't at SVV. So far I have yet to actually see that fee confirmed at any resort.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
The only drawback of EOY is that you will still pay the VSN fee every year. So if it is your only ownership, it reduces the value by driving up the MF/SO ratio. For EOY you pay the MF every year but only pay 50% of the amount of an annual ownership. I don't know if they tack on the $30 EOY fee at WKV. I know they don't at SVV. So far I have yet to actually see that fee confirmed at any resort.

I thought they charged ~$20 more per year in MF for EOY deeds.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I thought they charged ~$20 more per year in MF for EOY deeds.

It seems to be all rumor and I know of no one yet that has reported first hand knowledge of such a fee. I have read on here before that it was $30, but who knows. I know our SVV EOY doesn't have any fee.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
It seems to be all rumor and I know of no one yet that has reported first hand knowledge of such a fee. I have read on here before that it was $30, but who knows. I know our SVV EOY doesn't have any fee.

No, it’s not rumor. Not sure how you came to that conclusion. For years here we have seen MF for EOY deeds are more expensive than 50% of the annual, and IIRC it was about $20.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
No, it’s not rumor. Not sure how you came to that conclusion. For years here we have seen MF for EOY deeds are more expensive than 50% of the annual, and IIRC it was about $20.

Looking at the MF Db, It does look like WKV is $20 more for EOY. But I know it isn't like this at SVV Bella or Key West. This must be something written in to the CC&Rs?

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Looking at the MF Db, It does look like WKV is $20 more for EOY. But I know it isn't like this at SVV Bella or Key West. This must be something written in to the CC&Rs?

I just took a quick look at my historical payments for SDO, since I have an EOY and an EY SDO. I'm paying $20 more per year for the EOY than the EY, considering it's split. So for every use of the EOY I end up paying $40 more. I remember we had this question come up several times in the past, and I believe @DeniseM commented on it a few times that the EOY weeks pay $20 more. I thought this was universal across all the Vistana resorts, but I'm not sure.

seagila

TUG Member
Reaction score
Excerpt from SDO Billing Statement 2019

sdostmt2019.PNG

Excerpt from WKV Billing Statement 2019

wkvstmt2019.PNG

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I don't see any mention of a "bookkeeping fee" on either our SVV Bella or Key West billing statements.

Just another reason to buy SVV instead :p

LFE

Reaction score
SVV is the orlando resort (sorry, i'm still reading alot of the articles on this site, not familiar with all the lingos here)?

Since it was mentioned you can combine different location options, was thinking of eoy odds and evens on different locations (wkv and some other one so we can maybe utilize the floating 12 mo reservation...), the extra fees for eoy doesn't seem to be all that bad, but still trying to figure out our vacation needs.

Looking at redweek resales, I'm still figuring out WDW, if you buy, you can reserve there 12 mo out for a week, but do you get star options or flex options to other starwood properties?

If I were to buy WKV or SVV, the benefit on platinum is resale value (instead of buying low season for star options)?

Last edited:

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe that the benefit is more staroptions with Platinum for the same maintenance fee as low season

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
SVV is the orlando resort (sorry, i'm still reading alot of the articles on this site, not familiar with all the lingos here)?

Since it was mentioned you can combine different location options, was thinking of eoy odds and evens on different locations (wkv and some other one so we can maybe utilize the floating 12 mo reservation...), the extra fees for eoy doesn't seem to be all that bad, but still trying to figure out our vacation needs.

Looking at redweek resales, I'm still figuring out WDW, if you buy, you can reserve there 12 mo out for a week, but do you get star options or flex options to other starwood properties?

If I were to buy WKV or SVV, the benefit on platinum is resale value (instead of buying low season for star options)?

WDW is a voluntary resort, so although you can always reserve your home resort at 12 months, you would not get StarOptions or FlexOptions with a resale purchase. Because of its high MF's, WDW is a "buy to use". If you would be buying an eoy to use eoy, great; otherwise, you may wish to reconsider.

Remember there are dues for the VSE (StarOption) system. About $140 for your first unit, about $50 for the second, and additional units are "free". Many find that to be a disadvantage of eoy units; the extra VSE fee would not apply to you because you will end up with >2 units. Also, Vistana adds a $20 "bookkeeping fee" to MF's for eoy units.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Only 5 Vistana resorts include Staroptions when you buy resale: Kierland and Vistana Villages are often recommended as the most cost effective resorts to buy for Staroptions. Some units at Westin St. John are also recommended.

9) What do Mandatory and Voluntary mean?

a. If a resort is Staroption "Mandatory," it means that when the week is sold to a new owner (resale) the Staroption value of the week transfers to the new owner, and the new owner has the right to exchange his timeshare in the Starwood Vacation Network. These resorts are Staroption Mandatory:

* Harborside at Atlantis
* Vistana Villages (Bella and Key West phases only) - Lower purchase price, but maintenance fee is higher
* Westin St. John (Virgin Grand - Hillside only)
* Westin Ka'anapali & Westin Ka'anapali-North
* Westin Kierland Villas - More expensive purchase price, but the maintenance fee is lower.

LFE

Reaction score
Awesome, thanks!

While reading through the articles, found the Vistana star option list across various properties in Hawaii, Mexico, California, Arizona, Colorado etc. what about other Westin resorts (I think there’s one in Carlsbad, Las Vegas etc)?

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Awesome, thanks!

While reading through the articles, found the Vistana star option list across various properties in Hawaii, Mexico, California, Arizona, Colorado etc. what about other Westin resorts (I think there’s one in Carlsbad, Las Vegas etc)?

This is confusing. What articles? There are no mandatory Vistana properties (i.e. ones where StarOptions transfer to resale buyers) in Mexico, California, or Colorado. Nor are there Vistana timeshare properties in Vegas or Carlsbad. "Westin" is a trademark licensed to Vistana for limited (i.e. timeshare) purposes and no longer has anything to do with the Westin hotel chain.

Start here: https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...-to-timesharing-or-starwood-start-here.63224/