• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Guest Certificates @ Hyatt

hockeymom09

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch
I have a 3 bedroom unit I want to rent. If I decide to split up the unit and rent the 2 bedroom and the studio separately, will Hyatt let me buy 2 different guest certificates?

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
First, you need to split up the unit and have two separate reservations as a result. Then, you can get guest certificates for each side.

The lockoff functionality is not well implemented at Hyatt. If you are within HRPP, you only have three choices:

1. Reserve the whole unit
2. Reserve the large side
3. Reserve the small side

You cannot reserve both sides separately when in HRPP, at least online. Not sure, maybe it's possible to do by phone.

If you already have a single HRPP reservation for the whole unit, you cannot lock it off online either, to end up with tho separate HRPP reservations for both sides. Again, not sure, maybe it's possible to do by phone. But I remember reading someone was unsuccessful trying to achieve this exact outcome.

tj5654

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a 3 bedroom unit I want to rent. If I decide to split up the unit and rent the 2 bedroom and the studio separately, will Hyatt let me buy 2 different guest certificates?
I too have experienced the online problem of not being able to reserve the entire unit I own in two separate reservations. I have expressed this complaint at an owners meeting and was told within HRPP you call and ask for this and it is possible. Another owner at the meeting commented that they had previously done that. I have not personally done this myself. Since we own entire units I don't see why we can't reserve the whole unit on separate reservations. After all, Hyatt is definitely fee based and that gives them an additional Guest Certificate fee.

Last edited:

bdh

TUG Member
Reaction score
First, you need to split up the unit and have two separate reservations as a result. Then, you can get guest certificates for each side.

The lockoff functionality is not well implemented at Hyatt. If you are within HRPP, you only have three choices:

You cannot reserve both sides separately when in HRPP, at least online. Not sure, maybe it's possible to do by phone.

If you already have a single HRPP reservation for the whole unit, you cannot lock it off online either, to end up with tho separate HRPP reservations for both sides. Again, not sure, maybe it's possible to do by phone. But I remember reading someone was unsuccessful trying to achieve this exact outcome.

A HRPP lock off unit can be split into two different reservations - just can't do it online. You have to call the Go Hyatt team and have them confirm the full unit and request that the unit be split into two reservations - the Go Hyatt team will ask/email the Corporate Office to split the single reservation into two - you'll ultimately receive two separate email reservation confirmations. You get one HRPP reservation for free, however you pay a reservation fee for the second one - since you can't split the HRPP unit online, you should pay the online rate for the second res (in lieu of paying the call in res fee).

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
I tried this last year at Sunset Harbor. I was going to rent my 2 bedroom but someone wanted just the 1 bedroom side. I reserved the 1 bedroom and then tried to reserve the studio and it said I couldn’t do it until at the 6-month mark. I then called Hyatt trying to get it back and she said it was already gone. She really didn’t know much because she told me I couldn’t split it into 2 reservations and rent them. She said I could only book a 2 bedroom and use one side and deal with the rental of the other side when I checked in. That’s a non-starter because any renter is going to want to see a confirmation with his name on it. I finally gave up arguing with her and told her to deposit the studio in Interval. Then she made me pay my maintenance fees for the following year before she would deposit it.

bdh

TUG Member
Reaction score
I tried this last year at Sunset Harbor. I was going to rent my 2 bedroom but someone wanted just the 1 bedroom side. I reserved the 1 bedroom and then tried to reserve the studio and it said I couldn’t do it until at the 6-month mark. I then called Hyatt trying to get it back and she said it was already gone. She really didn’t know much because she told me I couldn’t split it into 2 reservations and rent them. She said I could only book a 2 bedroom and use one side and deal with the rental of the other side when I checked in. That’s a non-starter because any renter is going to want to see a confirmation with his name on it. I finally gave up arguing with her and told her to deposit the studio in Interval. Then she made me pay my maintenance fees for the following year before she would deposit it.

Splitting of an 2 bd HRPP lock off unit into two separate reservations can not be done online via the HRC website. If you try to do it online, you can only select ONE of the options (2 bd unit, 1 bd unit or studio) - as soon as you reserve the 1 bd unit, the studio is released to CUP - or vice versa, reserve the studio and the 1 bd is released to CUP. If you reserve the 2 bd online and then call Go Hyatt, you can split the unit into two reservations, however additional fees will apply as you've already used the one free HRPP reservation by reserving the 2 bd online. What happened to you is exactly what happens when you reserve your unit online.

Unfortunately, there are a few Go Hyatt agents that may not be familiar with how to navigate the splitting of an 2 bd HRPP lock off unit into two separate reservations. If you should get one that isn't familiar with it, ask them to check with their supervisor - or just call back and get another agent.

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
As bdh advises it can be done. I went thought the same issues my first time trying to split the lockout at Sunset, with a person who did not have the knowledge. Called, and first answer was "no can do". I researched some more to gather some ammunition for the next call...and when I called that person said, hold the line have to call corporate. As stated, you have to call in, split the weeks, and pay a fee. Then simply issue a guest certificate (another fee.)

hockeymom09

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch
Thanks so much for all your advice. I have the whole unit reserved. I'm gonna wait it out little longer & hope I can rent the whole thing. Hate paying sooo many fees!

PerryKing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYATT: Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Bonita Springs, and 2X Dorado Puerto Rico.
-##-
MEXICO: Crown Paradise, Royal Holiday Club, Vidanta Mayan Palace, and Vidanta "Kingdom of the Sun-Nuevo Vallarta at Vidanta World.

I've done it on the phone many times for my HMSS Breckenridge 3 bedroom, in the past anyway. Made two reservations - one for the 2 bedroom and one for the Studio. They let me do it. With no extra res fee, that I remember anyway, but if I had to I would have done it.

But who knows if they (Marriott res people) even can do it any longer or know about it ) But if I had to cancel both, the cost would then be twice as much. I did it mainly so I could try to rent the 2 bedroom and still use my studio for my own skiing use. But sometimes I would reserve all of it and rent the two bedroom , but I would use the studio. In that case, since I was there, i.e. physically present, I did not even really need to buy a Guest certificate for the 2 bedroom renters. !