• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Question on Maui Ocean Club

spaulino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko'Olina Beach Club
We'll be in Maui and want to extend our stay by 2 days. Looking into renting directly from MOC or maybe from an owner but when I call MOC directly, they gave me their availability and at that point, they can only tell me the view but not the tower, which is understandable. Which tower is the new one with the full kitchen? Or do they both have kitchen? I thought I was reading on here that one of them was converted from a hotel therefore no full kitchen? TIA!

spaulino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi Steven thanks! But that's the thing, I don't know which tower has the kitchen or which one doesn't have kitchen. Or which one is the newer tower? Not familiar with that property at all. We own at Ko'Olina. Hoping we can stay at MOC on of these days... but this time, we'll only stay for 2 days in July and still looking if it's better to rent from owner or directly from MOC.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Hi Steven thanks! But that's the thing, I don't know which tower has the kitchen or which one doesn't have kitchen. Or which one is the newer tower? Not familiar with that property at all. We own at Ko'Olina. Hoping we can stay at MOC on of these days... but this time, we'll only stay for 2 days in July and still looking if it's better to rent from owner or directly from MOC.
As Steven notes, there are 2 sections to the resort:
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club - Molokai, Maui & Lanai Towers (OLD)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club - Lahaina & Napili Towers (NEW)
The full kitchens are in the NEW section, in 1BR and larger, like at Ko Olina.

aland0524

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club - Napili Tower; Marriott Waiohai Beach Club; Westin Nanea
This can be quite confusing for those that haven't been to the resort. One suggestion is to go to Redweek to get a clearer idea of what the different sections are. You'll see that on Redweek, the rentals for Marriott Maui Ocean Club are available for 3 different and distinct options: (1) "Maui Ocean Club" (is old hotel that is also referred to as "Molokai, Maui & Lanai Towers" as davidvel has indicated and only have kitchenettes and mini-fridges; (2) "Maui Ocean Club - Napili Villas" (is one of the new purpose-built towers that have the full kitchens - oven, dishwasher, full fridge/freezer - with in-room washer/dryers in one, two and three bedrooms but not studio; towards the Napili/North side of resort); and (3) "Maui Ocean Club - Lahaina Villas" (same layout as Napili Tower - just towards Lahaina/South side of the resort). You should also know that if you rent from a Napili or Lahaina owner, unless they have a fixed week, the owners of floating weeks won't be able to know which tower (Lahaina or Napili) they will be placed in - just that their view is guaranteed. But just make sure that when you rent - be very clear about which option (1, 2 or 3) you are being offered. The "old" Maui Ocean Club section (option 1) rents for lower than the "new" sections (options 2 or 3).

One consideration/potential complication for you might be the short length of your stay. Most rentals (at least on Redweek) are usually for an entire week so if you're only staying for 2 days, you may need to find somebody who has points and can actually work with you on the specific days you want to stay at the resort. (Maybe other TUG members might be more familiar with how one goes about renting for less than the full week.) Renting directly from Marriott might solve this problem and they'll clearly be able to let you know which section you'll be staying in. However, their rental rates are a lot more than renting from an owner. Also, if renting from an owner, don't hesitate to negotiate because the prices on Redweek for example are simply the "ask" prices and not the actual "buy" price that was actually transacted. Hope this helps and not add to the confusion.

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
You'll see that on Redweek, the rentals for Marriott Maui Ocean Club are available for 3 different and distinct options: (1) "Maui Ocean Club" (is old hotel that is also referred to as "Molokai, Maui & Lanai Towers" as davidvel has indicated and only have kitchenettes and mini-fridges;

Just wanted to correct this: the "old hotel" towers do indeed only have kichenettes, but they now have full sized fridges.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Ocean Club Napili building, Lawai Beach Resort
Just wanted to correct this: the "old hotel" towers do in deed only have kichenettes, but they now have full sized fridges.
Since the old hotel towers have been remodeled it's a great choice. The mini kitchen's are adequate and you can grill or use the wonderful new common kitchen near the main lobby. Personally I try not to cook if possible

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

BobG7734

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Custom House; St. Kitts; Waiohai(Poipu); Maui
The latest refresh added a small 'full' size fridge in entry-way.

https://gdkinsman.smugmug.com/Maui-Ocean-Club/Suites/i-8HXsfh5/A
Are the studios in the Napoli/Lahaina towers pretty much like the pictures in TXTortoise's post? ie "full" refrigerator? And are the studios in either tower? I have a 1BR OF (OFOM) reserved in Feb 2020 and looking to add on, but just OF studios available,,,will probably pick that up but wondering if it would be in the same building as the 1BR. Any info appreciated!

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
Are the studios in the Napoli/Lahaina towers pretty much like the pictures in TXTortoise's post? ie "full" refrigerator? And are the studios in either tower? I have a 1BR OF (OFOM) reserved in Feb 2020 and looking to add on, but just OF studios available,,,will probably pick that up but wondering if it would be in the same building as the 1BR. Any info appreciated!

Studios in the Napili/Lahaina new towers still have the small fridge: https://gdkinsman.smugmug.com/Maui-Ocean-Club/Villas/i-HZkCpFF/A

The OF studio, like the OF 1BR, can be in either of the respective towers groups. You need to talk to room control a few weeks before arrival and see what they can do.

If you are booking on Redweek or VacationCandy.com the owner may be renting a fixed week/unit and will be able to tell you exactly what you are getting, but you'll need to ask, particularly on VC. What week in Feb?

If you can get out of the existing 1BR reservation, then just rent a 2BR which solves your problems...unless of course, you're trading in.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
The older buildings (Lanai and Molokai towers and the Maui (3 story) are referred to as "suites" (converted hotel room) and the newer two towers are referred to as "Villas".

BTW, the suites only have a small kitchenette and they do NOT have washers or dryers. Thank goodness that the 1 BR suites at least DO have a dishwasher.

Carlsbadguy

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have my first exchange coming up into a 1 bedroom in the Napali/Lahaina Towers starting May 11. This is my first stay in the new towers have been in the hotel conversion many times previously. The Code is IVMT- which I assume is Island View. For room locations should I request a high floor? DO the 1 bedrooms have washer/dryer in the rooms.

Anyone have suggestions on nearby within walking distance restaurants and tour companies for snorkeling excursions.
Thanks

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Anyone have suggestions on nearby within walking distance restaurants and tour companies for snorkeling excursions.
Thanks

Restaurants in Whalers Village are a short walk - Hula Grill, Leilani’s on the Beach, and Monkeypod. The Kaanapali Grill is also located at Marriott’s Maui Ocean Club. The Hyatt hotel next door also has restaurants.

For snorkel cruises, we think Trilogy is top notch. Did a snorkel cruise with them as well as a sunset cruise a little over a month ago.

spaulino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Book the Lahaina or Napili Towers. Those are the new towers and both have the kitchen. As long as you book that versus the hotel in the lower half of the picture, you'll be fine.

Thanks StevenTing.. I got an email yesterday that says below.. I guess I will be in the Lahaina Tower. woohoo!!! This is the first time we're staying at MOC. We're owners at Ko'Olina but never trade since we always use it. When in Maui, we just book at the Hyatt or Westin. Kinda excited to see MOC and compare. My email started with below so I guess Lahaina Tower it is.

Thank you for choosing Marriott's Maui Ocean Club, Lahaina and Napili Towers for your vacation.

To ensure you have reserved the best accommodation that will fit your family and/or friend's needs for your upcoming stay in Maui, please review the details below:
  • Lahaina Tower Only
  • King Bed
  • Queen Sleeper Sofa
  • Microwave, small refrigerator, bar sink, coffee maker, toaster
  • Lanai

spaulino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
But I would have to add, booking above with price I did is not too far off from booking Grand Wailea (geez!!). I mean yes, there's a difference in price but not very much as I thought. I would've loved to stay at Wailea as well but I love the feeling in Kaanapali vs Wailea. And having the kitchenette at MOC is nice vs just a regular room at Grand Wailea.

aland0524

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club - Napili Tower; Marriott Waiohai Beach Club; Westin Nanea
spaulino - First, congratulations on getting the Marriott to actually tell you that you are getting "Lahaina Tower Only"...in my many years as an (floating week) owner at this resort, I've never known where I'd be staying until a few days before and really couldn't get any specific confirmation until I checked in! Maybe this is what happens when you buy direct from Marriott which I assume you did? Your note suggests that you have a studio, correct? While I think a studio at MOC-Lahaina is still better than just a regular room at Grand Wailea, know that the "kitchenette" in the Lahaina/Napili studios have only a mini-fridge (freezer can only fit an icetray) and no cooktop. But has nice lanai and probably larger than any hotel room.

Which is probably a good idea to know that there are some walking distance restaurants nearby (Whaler's Village has been mentioned - Monkeypod, Leilani's, Hula Grill are most popular and also a food court with a Subway, pizza place, etc. plus a gelato and Haagen-Dazs store). If you have an inkling to walk farther, there are some great food trucks that's at the north end of the "beachwalk" plus some more walking (you'll still need to go through a few resorts to get to where the trucks are parked) on Lower Honoapiilani Rd cor Hiway 30 (Honoapiilani Hwy). I'd take a car but it's a good excuse to eat a lot because you'll certainly be able to "walk off" the meal back to MOC! Enjoy Maui Ocean Club and Kaanapali! As I write this, it's snowing where I am!

spaulino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
spaulino - First, congratulations on getting the Marriott to actually tell you that you are getting "Lahaina Tower Only"...in my many years as an (floating week) owner at this resort, I've never known where I'd be staying until a few days before and really couldn't get any specific confirmation until I checked in!!

Aland0524 - I was surprised to get the email since it came a few days after I booked it. I’m thinking it mentioned the tower because I booked it directly from Marriott by calling the owners 800#?? I don’t know but was happy I’m getting what Was suggested above as I really wanted to see MOC and their rooms. Also wanted to see their amenities and what else they offer for future stays... and also compare it to our “home” MKO.
Another reason is the Whalers Village. My kids like to walk around there and just grab a little something to eat.
The rates at Grand Wailea is not that much more, but after adding resort fees, and so much taxes and parking fee, it was too much! Maybe another vacation we can stay at Grand Wailea... but not this vacation since we are in Hawaii for 3 weeks so I didn't want to pay for GW. :(

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks to @NTP66 for these photos:

In this photo, I presume the dishwasher is the silver appliance on the right. What is the black appliance on the left?
https://flic.kr/p/LXuAbj

Last edited:

cowboy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dishwasher is on left. Looks like that unit has a mini fridge and also a full size fridge at entryway.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was surprised to get the email since it came a few days after I booked it. I’m thinking it mentioned the tower because I booked it directly from Marriott...
If you booked a villa in one of the new towers (Lahaina or Napili) and selected Ocean View or Mountain/Garden View they knew you would be in Lahaina because it is the only one with those view categories. Oceanfront villas are in both towers and Island View villas are in Napili only.