• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Florida TS QuickClaim Deed

cs4156

Reaction score
My spouse purchased a timeshare prior to us being married, we do go each each year but I am just as happy going somewhere else so may not want to be financially responsible/on the deed.
(Our finances except for the home we live in are separate)

My husband was going to add my name to a timeshare he has in Fla. I have a few questions:

Adding me to the deed makes me financially responsible, correct?

Can someone do it without me knowing it? Or without my approval? If so, Is there something I can do so that can’t happen? Not that he would - just wondering.

Just wanted the pros and cons….

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Others may know better however, financial responsibility would be for the following and not for any loan he has for the purchase of the unit, if there is one. As with a home, the deed and the mortgage are separate. You can be on the deed and not on the mortgage. With a quit claim deed, you do take the property subject to any existing taxes, assessments, liens, encumbrances, etc.

The short answer is yes, with very little work, he could add your name without you knowing. Only the Grantor's name needs to be notarized, not the Grantee's. Of course if he did do that, he couldn't sell without your notarized signature.

Stopping it would be complex as you can see.

Just so you know, I'm not an attorney nor do I play one on TV.

Last edited:

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
.My husband was going to add my name to a timeshare he has in Fla.

Resist. Your husband may think he is doing the right thing for you. Trust me. He is not. The disadvantages adding your name to the deed are far greater than any benefit. Period....

George

Sshine

Reaction score
My spouse purchased a timeshare prior to us being married, we do go each each year but I am just as happy going somewhere else so may not want to be financially responsible/on the deed.
(Our finances except for the home we live in are separate)

My husband was going to add my name to a timeshare he has in Fla. I have a few questions:

Adding me to the deed makes me financially responsible, correct?

Can someone do it without me knowing it? Or without my approval? If so, Is there something I can do so that can’t happen? Not that he would - just wondering.

Just wanted the pros and cons….
Mortgage & deed are separate...If it’s just the deed you are referring to, one advantage *could be* that if you ever go to the timeshare without your husband (or arrive before him) you will be able to check in without him or without needing to pay for a guest certificate in your name. I’m not sure if all timeshares are the same, but my family has run into this problem in the past with my mom doing a girls trip & the timeshare being in my dads name only. With that being said...If that’s not a situation you think you will be in, you may want to keep your name off the deed. I can’t think of any other benefit to having your name on the deed, only cons...You will be liable for maintenance fees, taxes, etc. Hope this helps!

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Not sure a QuickClaim deed would fly, but a Quitclaim Deed would. :cool:

On it, your hubby would be the Grantor, and he and you would be the Grantees.

If doing it without a Grantee's permission wasn't fraud, of course.

5finny

TUG Member
Reaction score
If your name is put on a deed without your permission you should be able to "disclaim" it which essentially voids it out
I had to do that once when an ebay seller recorded a deed in my name for the wrong timeshare unit

If your name is not on the deed and your husband passes--and it turns out you want the timeshare--then you will have to go through probate in florida even if that is all he owned in florida

Probably best way to hold title to florida timeshare is in a family trust (IMHO)