• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hilton Head Island to Myrtle Beach - Sunday May 6th

sea

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello All - we have a family group staying @ Marriott's Barony Beach HHI for a week and are considering flying out of Myrtle Beach for our return flight, driving between the two on Sunday May 5th. Never having done this drive before - please provide input - is it multi-lane divided highway, or smaller roads travelling through towns? How long will the drive realistically take? We'd be staying @ Marriott's Ocean Watch at the opposite end so likely just looking to get there as one night is a quick in and out. Will save the sightseeing for another trip. Thank you very much for your input!

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
You can go inland and take I-95 for most of the drive. That would likely be faster than trying to drive up the coast

LUVourMarriotts

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MFV (P) 2002
MSU (G) 2006
MOW (P) 2018
Enrolled in DP +++
4 hour drive. But, on a Sunday, it could be heavy traffic, so could be a bit longer. I agree that you would want to swing out to 95 and then cut back to the coast. If I were doing this trip, I would plan 5 hours. I've done most of the trip a few times, just never Barony to OceanWatch. Usually home to one or the other, and back.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Here are your options below:
(Personally I like the I-95 route.)

https://goo.gl/maps/swzoo4rR67y

ENJOY your time in SC.
(BTW, you'll be driving back to MB on Cinco de Mayo, so be careful.)

Last edited:

Poette

TUG Member
Reaction score
Agree, 4-5 hour drive. Just be aware the airport is at the southern end of Myrtle while Ocean Watch is at the northern end. We’ve done the drive several times but I’m not familiar enough to provide good input. We’ve found Sunday travel traffic is generally lighter but you never know.

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
Driving times always baffle me. From our home to MOW is a little less than a 3 hr drive. From our home to HH is less than a 5 hour drive. One might deduce from that from MB to HH would be two more hours! But, that’s not the case because of having to get back out to 95. Can be done in 3 but plan on more likely 3.5hrs

cds62

TUG Member
Reaction score
Heading back out to I95 will be the fastest, but going north on Rt 17 is also an option up through Charleston. Download the WAZE app and use that the help you decide which route to take. If you take the I95 route you will get off 95 and proceed through a small town called Turbeville, SC. Pay attention to the changing speed limit signs! The town is a speed trap and the local PD uses a variety of unmarked cars and the quick changing speed limits to rake in the fines.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
To the OP, please, one more time please take Interstate I95 North to MB. IMHO.
We took the back roads last December 2018, never again two lanes and sometimes four lanes highways..

Yes! Smokey the Bear was out there with radar in unmarked vehicles.

The big problem was it rain from HHI to MB (MOW) the whole driving time.

Last edited:

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
It is about 4 hrs +/- from HHI to MB, depending on traffic and how fast/slow you drive. If it were me, I would go inland and take I95 as suggested by others above. I95 is nowhere near scenic, just a straight highway up the coast. You can drive it closer to the water and go through Charleston, etc...but it will be a slightly slower pace, smaller roads and will likely take a little bit longer.

For a 1 night stay, you could even stay in a Marriott closer to downtown MB. There is a lot of touristy things to see and do, even if only there for 1 day (or 1/2 day).

Both are great resorts. While we prefer HHI over MB, but we prefer Oceanwatch over Barony. Go figure. Good luck.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Without question drive between the two and perhaps leave early and stop in Charleston on the way. Good stop to wander around and grab lunch.

You really only have a couple of other options that make sense for your flights. Charleston is about two hours away and Wilmington is about 75 minutes. I would strongly consider a flight into Savannah or Hilton Head and a flight back out of Myrtle Beach. American and United fly to HHH, Myrtle Beach, and Wilmington. Most major airlines cover Savannah and Charleston.

.....and don't forget to look at the price of rental cars. They vary greatly depending on the arrival airport and some charge drop off fees. Consider a one way rental to Myrtle Beach and pick up another car. Look at non-airport locations for cheaper prices.

SMB1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Vista, Lakeshore Reserve, OceanWatch(2), Marriott Destination Points, Club Wyndham Points (Ocean Boulevard)
Heading back out to I95 will be the fastest, but going north on Rt 17 is also an option up through Charleston. Download the WAZE app and use that the help you decide which route to take. If you take the I95 route you will get off 95 and proceed through a small town called Turbeville, SC. Pay attention to the changing speed limit signs! The town is a speed trap and the local PD uses a variety of unmarked cars and the quick changing speed limits to rake in the fines.

They got me once several years ago, after many many years without a ticket. Bu I was going much faster than the speed limit. I guess I still thought I was on 95. It was an unmarked gray Mustang.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
They got me once several years ago, after many
many years without a ticket. But I was going much faster than the speed limit. I guess I still thought I was on 95.
It was an unmarked gray Mustang.

Say, it wasn't Officer McQueen, was it?

SMB1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Vista, Lakeshore Reserve, OceanWatch(2), Marriott Destination Points, Club Wyndham Points (Ocean Boulevard)
Say, it wasn't Officer McQueen, was it?

Haha. I have no idea. He was kind of a short stalky(?) rugged built guy. Prob late 40s early 50s several years ago. Nice enough, but no break.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Steve would never be caught dead in a gray stang. His Bullitt was green. :rolleyes:

Yep, it surely was green, dark green.

Watched that movie a dozen times.
It actually was a Highland Green 1968 390 V8 Ford Mustang GT fastback,
with 325 hp and 4-speed manual transmission.
Two identical Mustangs were actually used, and McQueen only drove in the short close-up spots.
The scene lasted just under 10 minutes on-screen, but took about 3 weeks to film.
From an aerial map of where the scenes were actually filmed, it couldn't have physically happened,
as they were not connected geographically....pretty interesting.

Anyway, that particular Mustang was one of the many great muscle cars of that short time span.

Speaking of 1968, My Chevy Malibu 327 4-barrel was a '68 also, and it was beautiful, albeit a little sedate compared to what I wanted.
My Dad wouldn't let me get the red Chevy SS 396 Super Sport I coveted......probably best that he wouldn't.

Anyway, I sort of tried to retrace McQueen's path in that famous chase scene when I was in San Francisco two years ago, as much as I could that is, but the buildings have changed a lot or were totally gone...it was quite confusing. I researched it before the trip because I liked McQueen, and the streets of SF are so unique. It's interesting how those scenes were filmed, certainly not as it looked on screen. Nevertheless, it was an iconic car, movie, and chase scene as no other.

.....and not to mention that McQueen was probably the coolest dude around.

Last edited:

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
Anyway, that particular Mustang was one of the many great muscle cars of that short time span.

Speaking of 1968, My Chevy Malibu 327 4-barrel was a '68 also, and it was beautiful, albeit a little sedate compared to what I wanted.
My Dad wouldn't let me get the red Chevy SS 396 Super Sport I coveted......probably best that he wouldn't.
[/Q]

Ah yes, the good old days. My first love was my 64 GTO convertible. 3 deuces 389/348hp. Loved that car. But since I was in the Army bringing home all of maybe $50 a month, I knew exactly how far a gallon of gas would take me and trust me, it wasn’t far the way I drove! My next vehicle was more sane, like your father would probably recommend. 67 Impala SS 327. Looked great but just no get up and go! LOL.

sea

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you to all for the information and responses! I realized after posting that this should read Sunday May 5th (not 6th). We have now decided to fly out of Charlotte so I'll start another thread to ask about this.