• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Measles in Texas Prompt Dire Warning

Status
Not open for further replies.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I just Googled and it said stand alone measles vaccine was introduced in 1963. Does anyone know if adults were immunized too when they started vaccinating kids? Or has it been suggested/required of older adults, or people entering the armed services? Thinking of Cliff and my mom and dad. I know I would have been vaccinated as a kid as soon as it was available, but the three of them would not have been unless a physician offered it or the army (in Cliff's case) required it.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I just Googled and it said stand alone measles vaccine was introduced in 1963. Does anyone know if adults were immunized too when they started vaccinating kids? Or has it been suggested/required of older adults, or people entering the armed services? Thinking of Cliff and my mom and dad. I know I would have been vaccinated as a kid as soon as it was available, but the three of them would not have been unless a physician offered it or the army (in Cliff's case) required it.
I don't think adults were considered a priority for the measles vaccine because by the time they were adults, almost everyone had been exposed to it (and consequentially thousands had died from it). There really wasn't the need -- if you survived through childhood, you most likely already had natural immunity due previous exposure.

Kurt

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
FWIW, I've read several reports recently that encourage certain age groups to get another measles vaccine. I asked my doctor and he agreed that it would be good for me, so I'm going to get another. Of course, I'm in Los Angeles and we have a bit of an issue here with it.

Caligirlfrtx

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, SHERATON BROADWAY PLANTATION, GRAND PACIFIC PALISADES, SHERATON DESERT OASIS, HYATT COCONUT PLANTATION, RIVERVIEW RESORT
Requiring vaccinations has, and always will be, a contentious issue.

Should we demand that every individual, regardless of their religious or philosophical views, whatever they may be, be vaccinated?
And if we do, where should those requirements stop. Seems you may be opening a door that could infringe on an individuals basic right to practice their chosen religion in a manner that they may see as best. A door that once opened, may be hard to get closed. Should we define these beliefs and/or practices as simple, "stupidity"? Do we label someones religious beliefs as nothing but, "idiot anti-vaxxers"?

We had our son vaccinated against MMR. Not because the government required it, but because we as parents chose to. I don't expect every other parent or parents to follow my beliefs or choices just as I may not want to follow theirs, whatever they are.

Remember, freedom is not the absence of commitments. It's the ability and right to choose what's best for you.
Completly agree, I vaccinated my kids on MY schedule. I had a horrible autism scare with my precious dd who quit speaking and started to show signs of being on the spectrum as soon as she was given her 24 mos vaccine. I thank God that she was able to be healed from it and is now a perfectly thriving beautiful teen who can speak! She still suffers from a few cognitive issues and trouble putting her thoughts into sentences quickly however I know my experience was the most horrific and eye opening experience, so call me whatever name you want. After this experience, I vaccinate on what I believe is safe for my kids. They are updated on the basic vaccines if your wondering, but as for the 70+ that is recommended and often pressured upon us by doctors, I will pass.

Caligirlfrtx

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, SHERATON BROADWAY PLANTATION, GRAND PACIFIC PALISADES, SHERATON DESERT OASIS, HYATT COCONUT PLANTATION, RIVERVIEW RESORT
[Inappropriate comment removed]

Avoid posting about politics, religion, or contentious social issues

Unless directly related to timesharing, such discussions are prohibited in these forums, including TUG Lounge. We've been down that road before, it was ugly, and we are not going there again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
[deleted quote removed]

You really want to go there?

The outbreak in Washington state originated within a Slavic community, and the two ongoing situations in New York—in Rockland County and Brooklyn—are both largely situated within the Orthodox Jewish groups living in the area. This is true of many of the recent severe measles years.

From the CDC:

In a given year, more measles cases can occur for any of the following reasons:

However, I also found this:

"While illegal immigration may not be the leading cause of recent measles outbreaks in the U.S., illegal immigrants do represent a real threat to the health of American communities, especially those with low vaccination rates, because we cannot screen illegal immigrants who are not apprehended by the Border Patrol for contagious diseases. Quite simply, illegal immigration increases the risk of exposure to deadly diseases at a time when American communities are particularly vulnerable."

My take away from this was that these "vulnerable" communities are those that are not vaccinated.

Last edited by a moderator:

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Requiring vaccinations has, and always will be, a contentious issue.

Should we demand that every individual, regardless of their religious or philosophical views, whatever they may be, be vaccinated?
And if we do, where should those requirements stop. Seems you may be opening a door that could infringe on an individuals basic right to practice their chosen religion in a manner that they may see as best. A door that once opened, may be hard to get closed. Should we define these beliefs and/or practices as simple, "stupidity"? Do we label someones religious beliefs as nothing but, "idiot anti-vaxxers"?

We had our son vaccinated against MMR. Not because the government required it, but because we as parents chose to. I don't expect every other parent or parents to follow my beliefs or choices just as I may not want to follow theirs, whatever they are.

Remember, freedom is not the absence of commitments. It's the ability and right to choose what's best for you.
My friends daughter was diagnosed with leukemia at age 2, received a bone marrow transplant at age 4, was on immunosupressant drugs afterwards and died just before she turned 6. From chickenpox.

If only folks who chose to not immunize could be the ones paying the price then I'd be all for it. Unfortunately that's not the way it works. Sometimes you do what is right for the greater good.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Completly agree, I vaccinated my kids on MY schedule. I had a horrible autism scare with my precious dd who quit speaking and started to show signs of being on the spectrum as soon as she was given her 24 mos vaccine. I thank God that she was able to be healed from it and is now a perfectly thriving beautiful teen who can speak! She still suffers from a few cognitive issues and trouble putting her thoughts into sentences quickly however I know my experience was the most horrific and eye opening experience, so call me whatever name you want. After this experience, I vaccinate on what I believe is safe for my kids. They are updated on the basic vaccines if your wondering, but as for the 70+ that is recommended and often pressured upon us by doctors, I will pass.
My son has autism spectrum disorder and I don't believe for one second that it has to do with vaccination. He was monosyllable for much of the years before his teen years. There is a genetic element in autism. He can now speak but similarly has cognitive issues and trouble putting his thoughts into sentences quickly.

Caligirlfrtx

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My son has autism spectrum disorder and I don't believe for one second that it has to do with vaccination. He was monosyllable for much of the years before his teen years. There is a genetic element in autism. He can now speak but similarly has cognitive issues and trouble putting his thoughts into sentences quickly.
I know what I know in OUR case. You can believe whatever you like for your son and family. There is absolutely nothing that can make me believe otherwise because of the way it all happened to my daughter.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
This thread has been closed because it violates the TUG Posting Rules - it was probably inappropriate from the beginning:
Avoid posting about politics, religion, or contentious social issues
Unless directly related to timesharing, such discussions are prohibited in these forums, including TUG Lounge. We've been down that road before, it was ugly, and we are not going there again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.