• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Tips for newbie renting out legacy points

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
I'm thinking of converting my week(s) into DC points and trying my hand at renting them out and I have a couple of questions.

1) Should I convert to points first and then try to rent them? Or should I retain my week(s) just in case I don't get any renters so I can use week(s)?

2) I've rented points from someone before a few years ago and I don't remember how it went. I just know the seller somehow proved they had the points, then I paid, then they were deposited into my account. So if I connect with someone who wants to rent my points, what's the procedure people renting points usually go through?

Thanks for any advice and/or suggestions.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
When are your weeks? What will they rent for? Assume you’ll make more renting them at .60-65 cents than the weeks themselves?

No reason I can think of to convert them until you have a points renter. Certainly gives you more options if you wait.

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
When are your weeks? What will they rent for? Assume you’ll make more renting them at .60-65 cents than the weeks themselves?

No reason I can think of to convert them until you have a points renter. Certainly gives you more options if you wait.
Thanks for the reply. I have platinum weeks that we usually use. I rarely rent them but the few times I have, I rent them just to cover my maintenance fees, and even then they can take a long time to rent. I figured if I rent the points to just cover the maintenance fees, they might rent faster. I'm not trying to profit off my weeks, though if I were more patient I'm sure I could.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
You're usually always far better off renting your points versus renting your weeks.

Why? If you rent points then your target audience is all owners who wish to visit ANY Marriott Resort.

If you rent weeks you are only targeting someone who wants that particular resort (and that particular week) that you have previously reserved.

Last edited:

Bill4728

Reaction score
You're usually always far better off renting your points versus renting your weeks.

Why? If you rent points then your target audience is all owners who wish to visit ANY Marriott Resort.

If you rent weeks you are only targeting someone who wants that particular resort (and that particular week) that you have previously reserved..
I agree
Plus when you rent out points, you are renting to MVC owners who may want to travel anytime that year and to any of the resorts So a lot more owners looking to rent.

Good luck

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
post deleted

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of converting my week(s) into DC points and trying my hand at renting them out...

1) Should I convert to points first and then try to rent them? Or should I retain my week(s) just in case I don't get any renters so I can use week(s)?

2) I've rented points from someone before a few years ago and I don't remember how it went...
I posted an answer and then realized Grande Vista should be in Vegas - weeks 51 and 52 are incredibly valuable, part of the general platinum pool, and have to be booked after the election deadline.

Grande Vista should be 3,725 pts for a 3BR Plat and 2,775 pts for a 2BR Plat
At 55 to 60 cents per point that's $2,049-$2,235 or $1526-$1665

Redweek's ask on a Christmas or New Years week is from $2700-$3000 for a 3BR and $1700-$3000 for a 2BR
But if you don't 'win' you'll undoubtedly be stuck with the end of April or the beginning of June.
So, I would just rent the points unless you are feeling lucky (or know something I don't about week 51/52 availability at GV).

BTW, https://vacationpointexchange.com/ is a good place to rent points (in either direction).

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I posted an answer and then realized Grande Vista should be in Vegas - weeks 51 and 52 are incredibly valuable, part of the general platinum pool, and have to be booked after the election deadline.

Grande Vista should be 3,725 pts for a 3BR Plat and 2,775 pts for a 2BR Plat
At 55 to 60 cents per point that's $2,049-$2,235 or $1526-$1665

Redweek's ask on a Christmas or New Years week is from $2700-$3000 for a 3BR and $1700-$3000 for a 2BR
But if you don't 'win' you'll undoubtedly be stuck with the end of April or the beginning of June.
So, I would just rent the points unless you are feeling lucky (or know something I don't about week 51/52 availability at GV).

BTW, https://vacationpointexchange.com/ is a good place to rent points (in either direction).

Grande Vista is in Orlando.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Grande Vista is in Orlando.
Well yes...I own a week there. But it should be in Vegas given the extraordinary gamble of waiting to book weeks 51 and 52.

And on the learn something new every day front, I just discovered TUG doesn’t show signatures on a small screen. Go figure.