• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

¿Food Allergies?

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
I understand people have different Food Allergies. But what I have never understood is people that are allergic to Peanuts say they have a Nut Allergy. Peanuts are not Nuts. One might be allergic to Peanuts and not Nuts. Or they might be allergic to Nuts and not Peanuts. I guess you could have separate allergies to both. Does anyone have an explanation?

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
No, but how did you make that upside down question mark in the title?

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
<alt>168 on a PC or <opt><sh>/ on a Mac ¿¿¿¿¿¿

Last edited:
Reactions: Xan

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Back on subject: Yes, peanut are tubers, but what I have seen, there are nut (peanut) allergies and tree nut allergies. I don't know if they are related or if an individual can have one without the other.

mentalbreak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, peanut (a legume) and tree nut allergies are different, but often somebody that is allergic to one is also allergic to others.

Tree nuts include cashews, almonds, pecans, walnuts...

Reactions: DrQ

vacation dreaming

TUG Member
Reaction score
10 years ago the allergists would tell people to avoid all “nuts” if one tested positive to peanuts or treenuts. Today, the guidelines are very specific to only avoid exactly what you are allergic to because new research has proven that avoidance can lead to more allergies. So to answer your question, while peanuts are actually legumes, many people will avoid all nuts and lump peanuts into that category. Not technically correct, and even “tree nuts” is too broad of a category because many are allergic to only certain specific tree nuts, not all of them. That being said, cross contamination is also a major concern as many nuts are processed together and the smallest amount can cause a severe life threatening reaction. As the public has become more educated about allergies, I have become more specific with my descriptions. Years ago, most people did not realize that a peanut was a legume, so it appeared redundant for me to say I have a peanut and tree nut allergy. These days people are more aware of allergies and the differences.

Last edited:

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, peanut (a legume) and tree nut allergies are different, but often somebody that is allergic to one is also allergic to others.

I had originally thought they were legumes but they were underground, but I looked it up and that is correct. I'm used to legumes being soybeans and peas.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
DW was never allergic to peanuts or tree nuts. About 5 years ago she developed allergies to pecans and walnuts, but can still eat cashews, almonds, and peanuts.

mentalbreak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Today, the guidelines are very specific to only avoid exactly what you are allergic to because new research has proven that avoidance can lead to more allergies.

My son is a living example of this. He was a baby/toddler in the no eggs until 12 months and no peanuts until after age 3 era. And is severely allergic to peanuts, cashews, pecans, walnuts, almonds and chestnuts.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
No, but how did you make that upside down question mark in the title?

It is a "Key" on my Samsung Keyboard under symbols page 2.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've always heard people be very specific about their allergies. I don't think I've heard anyone say that their peanut allergy is a nut allergy.

Xan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I understand people have different Food Allergies. But what I have never understood is people that are allergic to Peanuts say they have a Nut Allergy. Peanuts are not Nuts. One might be allergic to Peanuts and not Nuts. Or they might be allergic to Nuts and not Peanuts. I guess you could have separate allergies to both. Does anyone have an explanation?

Believe me or not since I’ll be upfront right away, I’m an anti-vaxxer (due to not only the ingredients, the excessive vaccination schedule, but people need natural immunity from these diseases and you can’t get a lifetime immunity from a vaccine). I will not argue this point or respond on this.

Anyways, the allergy issues have become more prevalent in today’s world due to more people eating processed food (not homemade processed), and the ingredients that go into these foods.

Majority of food today has GMO/BE ingredients included in the food, whether or not labeled or disclosed by the company. 99% of soy and corn products are GMO, so unless you are growing your own food in an Organic manner, you can’t guarantee your food to be GMO free! They are also finding ways to sneak modified GMO ingredients into the processing of certain Organic food. (I barely even trust the cross pollination contamination and would grow in a personal greenhouse!)

Yes you can buy processed organic food, but it doesn’t mean that it’s healthy. Read your labels, know what every ingredient is and its purpose for being in the food, and try to stick to 6 or less ingredients unless you know exactly what every ingredient is and does.

It also doesn’t help that mono-crop farming has drastically depleted our soils of healthy nutrients and bacteria necessary for a healthy body.

Your best bet is to purchase single item Organic food (or grow your own), and make everything from scratch (that’s making your own processed food), even grains! Most people aren’t really allergic or gluten sensitive, it’s the glyphosate that is sprayed on the crops, to not only keep the bugs away, but they heavily spray the grains to dry them quicker! Only a small percentage is actually gluten intolerant. Also, the grains they grow today aren’t what our grandparents and great grandparents consumed...depending on your age to fit the correct generation. It’s a totally different version of the crop, even before the chemicals and GMOS.

Keep in mind that a GMO seed was created to “explode” the stomach of the pest eating the crops, can you imagine with the buildup in our bodies what it is doing to our health?! (Pest is tiny compared to us, so it takes awhile to build up in most people.)

It’s cheaper in the long run to purchase organic produce and “safe” organic products, than it is to pay a lifetime of medical bills!

I hope anything I’ve said helps someone, and you have to research, research, research, until you find the truth, considering all the false documents on products that are out there.

Sorry for the bad news to those that didn’t know most of this already, but everyone needs to open their eyes, and open everyone else’s eyes that are blind to all the propaganda that is “fed” to us daily, including what is taught to your children in school from a very young age, to the subliminal messaging sent through your kids “safe” cartoons!
(One popular kids cartoon quickly adds a subliminal message on how to either hurt yourself or commit suicide! I can’t remember the name, but it’s on the popular YouTube cartoons for kids channel! Sad but true! I’ve seen it!)

If you are going to argue with anything I’ve posted, please don’t bother, because I won’t respond, I’ve done my research and have seen proof myself. Please do your research extensively if you want the truth and answers.

Thank You

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk *political banter removed

Last edited by a moderator:

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Believe me or not since I’ll be upfront right away, I’m an anti-vaxxer (due to not only the ingredients, the excessive vaccination schedule, but people need natural immunity from these diseases and you can’t get a lifetime immunity from a vaccine). I will not argue this point or respond on this.

Anyways, the allergy issues have become more prevalent in today’s world due to more people eating processed food (not homemade processed), and the ingredients that go into these foods.

Majority of food today has GMO/BE ingredients included in the food, whether or not labeled or disclosed by the company. 99% of soy and corn products are GMO, so unless you are growing your own food in an Organic manner, you can’t guarantee your food to be GMO free! They are also finding ways to sneak modified GMO ingredients into the processing of certain Organic food. (I barely even trust the cross pollination contamination and would grow in a personal greenhouse!)

Yes you can buy processed organic food, but it doesn’t mean that it’s healthy. Read your labels, know what every ingredient is and its purpose for being in the food, and try to stick to 6 or less ingredients unless you know exactly what every ingredient is and does.

It also doesn’t help that mono-crop farming has drastically depleted our soils of healthy nutrients and bacteria necessary for a healthy body.

Your best bet is to purchase single item Organic food (or grow your own), and make everything from scratch (that’s making your own processed food), even grains! Most people aren’t really allergic or gluten sensitive, it’s the glyphosate that is sprayed on the crops, to not only keep the bugs away, but they heavily spray the grains to dry them quicker! Only a small percentage is actually gluten intolerant. Also, the grains they grow today aren’t what our grandparents and great grandparents consumed...depending on your age to fit the correct generation. It’s a totally different version of the crop, even before the chemicals and GMOS.

Keep in mind that a GMO seed was created to “explode” the stomach of the pest eating the crops, can you imagine with the buildup in our bodies what it is doing to our health?! (Pest is tiny compared to us, so it takes awhile to build up in most people.)

It’s cheaper in the long run to purchase organic produce and “safe” organic products, than it is to pay a lifetime of medical bills!

I hope anything I’ve said helps someone, and you have to research, research, research, until you find the truth, considering all the false documents on products that are out there.

Remember that Big Pharma basically runs the government and various agencies with all the money they pour into donations to influence the outcome of just about everything. (There really are only about 6 companies that own everything...research the deep connections, and you will see the influence on almost every product you use or view.)

Sorry for the bad news to those that didn’t know most of this already, but everyone needs to open their eyes, and open everyone else’s eyes that are blind to all the propaganda that is “fed” to us daily, including what is taught to your children in school from a very young age, to the subliminal messaging sent through your kids “safe” cartoons!
(One popular kids cartoon quickly adds a subliminal message on how to either hurt yourself or commit suicide! I can’t remember the name, but it’s on the popular YouTube cartoons for kids channel! Sad but true! I’ve seen it!)

If you are going to argue with anything I’ve posted, please don’t bother, because I won’t respond, I’ve done my research and have seen proof myself. Please do your research extensively if you want the truth and answers.

Thank You

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think this Post is way over the line on political comment. I would respond but I want to avoid politics.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
My brother was allergic to nuts, in particular Brazil nuts which almost killed him as a 3 year old. But I believe he could eat Hershey’s with almonds (which I think are categorized as a fruit), although I think he ate around the almonds. Other nuts he could ascertain instantly that they were in, or had been near, his food. He once marched back into a college cafeteria kitchen and told them he could tell there were walnuts in his stuffed peppers, he wanted something else to eat, and how dare they use nuts as an ingredient without giving a heads up. I suspect peanuts wouldn’t have bothered him, but don’t recall one way or the other.

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)

Our 3 yr old granddaughter has a severe allergy to cashews and pistachios but she is ok with walnuts, almonds, pecans and peanuts. Weird. The first allergies we discovered she had was to eggs and dairy when she was about a year old. We only discovered the cashew allergy last summer when she ate a piece of muffin that had cashews in it. Even though there was no piece of cashew in the bit she ate, Sophia went into an anaphylactic reaction. Luckily our daughter-in-law carries 2 EpiPen's with her at all times and they were less than 10 minutes from a hospital. She recovered well. Sophia was just retested and her reactions to dairy have improved so the allergist thinks she'll outgrow them within a few years. Probably not so with the nuts.

Sophia knows what she is allergic to and to ask us, her parents, or daycare teacher, if any new food is ok for her before eating it. There is no one on either side of her family with any severe allergies, so all this is new to all of us.

~Diane

mentalbreak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our 3 yr old granddaughter has a severe allergy to cashews and pistachios but she is ok with walnuts, almonds, pecans and peanuts. Weird. The first allergies we discovered she had was to eggs and dairy when she was about a year old. We only discovered the cashew allergy last summer when she ate a piece of muffin that had cashews in it. Even though there was no piece of cashew in the bit she ate, Sophia went into an anaphylactic reaction. Luckily our daughter-in-law carries 2 EpiPen's with her at all times and they were less than 10 minutes from a hospital. She recovered well. Sophia was just retested and her reactions to dairy have improved so the allergist thinks she'll outgrow them within a few years. Probably not so with the nuts.

Sophia knows what she is allergic to and to ask us, her parents, or daycare teacher, if any new food is ok for her before eating it. There is no one on either side of her family with any severe allergies, so all this is new to all of us.

~Diane

My son started with a severe anaphylactic reaction to scrambled eggs. Then testing revealed the rest. Peanuts tested higher than the egg, and we saw how that went. It is a scary thing for sure!
Some allergists are doing desensitization protocols (similar to allergy shots but for food allergies). Maybe your granddaughter will be a candidate someday.