• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Golf Kingsland

terces

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC LVB x3, Sandos Mexico for RCI points
I'm wondering if the golf at and near Kingsland is worth it, or are they over the top expensive. Are there any ways to get discounted rates while staying on HGVC Club Points?

holdaer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Parc Soleil, a HGVC
Paradise, a HGVC
I'm wondering if the golf at and near Kingsland is worth it, or are they over the top expensive. Are there any ways to get discounted rates while staying on HGVC Club Points?

Kings’ Land Grand Golf: An exclusive program for our Registered Guests staying at our Kings’ Land Resort. Anytime Rate of 71.00+ tax per round and other discounts apply

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Either course is well worth playing, Kings or Beach. Take your own clubs or rent some in Kona at a golf shop, the rental club fee is almost as much as the discount green fee. Take an early tee time, the wind comes up strong in the afternoons. Don’t even think of playing on a windy day in Waikablowa!

Makalei is my favorite course in the area, look for a coupon in the tourist activity books. On top of the mountain overlooking the airport.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

MikeinSoCal

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you're staying at Kingsland, you can also use the range for free. My wife likes to hang out at the pool, so I'll head over to the range and work on my swing.

terces

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC LVB x3, Sandos Mexico for RCI points
Either course is well worth playing, Kings or Beach. Take your own clubs or rent some in Kona at a golf shop, the rental club fee is almost as much as the discount green fee. Take an early tee time, the wind comes up strong in the afternoons. Don’t even think of playing on a windy day in Waikablowa!

Makalei is my favorite course in the area, look for a coupon in the tourist activity books. On top of the mountain overlooking the airport.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Waikablowa!?!?!? now I'm getting the lay of the land :)

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Waikablowa!?!?!? now I'm getting the lay of the land :)

Not a golfer - never have been, never will be - but I am often amazed when we are there at just how people can golf in the area. It always seems to be anywhere from a little to a lot windy.

I guess a good time to work on the short game, perhaps?

Cheers.

Shmiddy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kingsland, Big Island
If you are staying as an 'owner' at one of the HGVC properties you get a discount at Kings and Beach courses - get the voucers at the front desk. There is also a discount program https://www.hawaiigolfdeals.com/big-island-golf/golf-hawaii-card-big-island/ we used it and golfed several of the local courses. Lots of great golf options. Tee off early then enjoy the rest of the day.

fernow

TUG Member
Reaction score

My wife and I go to the area 2-3 times a year and play 36 holes of golf every day. IF you just want to play golf one or two times, definitely play the Kings and Beach courses at the Kingsland discounted price. You can do no better. Wind is usually not bad in the AM but can be a factor in the afternoon. They are fun, nice courses and can't be beat for the price.

IF you want to play a lot of golf like we do then the https://www.hawaiigolfdeals.com/big-island-golf/golf-hawaii-card-big-island/ is a good deal. It includes unlimited play (hence 36 holes per day. Sometimes 54!)

There are crazy expensive courses down by the Four Seasons at Hualalai but if I could afford them, I wouldn't be staying in Waikoloa!

Mauna Lani courses, North and South (play South if you play only one) are in much nicer shape but will run just under $200 unless you play afternoon. Troon Hawaii card gets you a one time two for one at $145 and otherwise a $145 green fee but need to be playing a lot to justify the cost of the card. Spectacular condition though.

The Mauna Kea courses, Hapuna and Mauna Kea used to be on the hawaii golf deal card but recently dropped. Too bad. Mauna Kea is so beautiful you don't care how you play which is good because it is a tough course. Rack rate is pretty high though, around $250. The sister course Hapuna can be played for around $125 and I highly recommend it but play in the morning. Tough course and in the afternoon, wind will blow your ball off the green (and flag sticks out of the hole).

Makalei is just OK IMO. Gimmicky. Not great condition. Worth playing once but not top of the list. IF I am driving up there, rather play Makani (former Big Island Country Club).

Or... you can sit by the pool with a Mai Tai.