• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need Help, 97 year old, medicaid, with house

Bailey#1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC SSR BWV, Avenue Plaza, Redington Ambassador
Hello Tuggers.

Here is my situation. My 97 year old mother with dementia has been living in her own home (NY). Three weeks ago she was hospitalize and now is in Rehab. She will be going to a nursing home afterwards. The dementia got very bad in the last three weeks and she is physically in bad shape now. Most of her assets are tied up with her house. She has enough cash assets to last 3 months in a nursing home.

My question is what happens when her cash runs out and the house takes a year or so to sell.

Does Medicaid pays the bill at the nursing home and puts a lien on the house???

If anyone has experience with this please let me know. The last 3 weeks I have been in a reactive mold, and now I have a little time to think.

Thank you.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
So sorry your mother is declining, it’s hard to imagine our parents being so frail. Depending on where you live the bills will be handled according to the state law. You need to talk to a senior adviser or Elder affairs in your community.
Silentg

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
There will be a case- social worker associated with the nursing home who will work with you/her and advise you of the steps and requirements.. She will have to spend down her cash assets. I believe her home is exempt, but those rules change and the case worker will be up-to-date. You may also want to explore hospice as they are well versed in 'end of life' issues.

I'm sorry for your Mom's reversal of fortune. I had to be caretaker for my mom for the last few years of her life. It's not something we prepare for or look forward to, but unfortunately, it's part of living.

Jim

Bailey#1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So sorry your mother is declining, it’s hard to imagine our parents being so frail. Depending on where you live the bills will be handled according to the state law. You need to talk to a senior adviser or Elder affairs in your community.
Silentg
Thank you, it is amazing how fast dementia can take over after a medical crisis.

Bailey#1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Bailey#1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There will be a case- social worker associated with the nursing home who will work with you/her and advise you of the steps and requirements.. She will have to spend down her cash assets. I believe her home is exempt, but those rules change and the case worker will be up-to-date. You may also want to explore hospice as they are well versed in 'end of life' issues.

I'm sorry for your Mom's reversal of fortune. I had to be caretaker for my mom for the last few years of her life. It's not something we prepare for or look forward to, but unfortunately, it's part of living.

Jim
Thank you, I plan on speaking to a case worker once I gather some more info.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, please start with the social worker. In general, she will need to spend down her cash and the state will take over payment of her bills and based on her income, her share of cost will be calculated and withheld/taken from her each month. Her house will be put on a lien for repayment to Medicaid upon her death. If she is the only one on the title of the home, then it is fairly straight forward. Any proceeds from the sale of the home will be first used to repay Medicaid and the rest will go to the estate. If your father is still alive, then he can remain in the house until his death. You did not mention your father so I assume that it is not a factor.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
My 95-year old mother passed away in January. She had been on Medicaid for about a year before her death while she was in a nursing home. The way it worked in Texas was Medicaid paid a certain amount each month to the nursing home and she paid most of her Social Security check to the nursing home. She was allowed to keep $60/month I think.

Initially a case worker advised what we needed to do to qualify her for Medicaid. There were forms to submit showing bank records for the past 2-3 years and listing any property owned.

When she passed away I got a form to fill out from a company that worked for the state of Texas to try to recover any funds they could to reimburse the State for what they paid toward her care.

They specifically asked about any property she might have owned. She didn’t have any assets left that could be taken as the few hundred dollars left in her checking account were used toward her funeral expenses.

The form did indicate that estates under $10,000 were exempt from being taken. I believe each state will have their own rules.

Bailey#1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you, I printed this web site off and I will look into it some more.
This website has a list of requirements. For the home, its not a countable asset until sold. The income limit of $825 is for 2018, I think it was raised to $855 for 2019.

https://www.seniorplanning.org/long-term-care-medicaid-eligibility/new-york/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Yes, please start with the social worker. In general, she will need to spend down her cash and the state will take over payment of her bills and based on her income, her share of cost will be calculated and withheld/taken from her each month. Her house will be put on a lien for repayment to Medicaid upon her death. If she is the only one on the title of the home, then it is fairly straight forward. Any proceeds from the sale of the home will be first used to repay Medicaid and the rest will go to the estate. If your father is still alive, then he can remain in the house until his death. You did not mention your father so I assume that it is not a factor.
Thank you for this information. It is helpful!

Bailey#1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My 95-year old mother passed away in January. She had been on Medicaid for about a year before her death while she was in a nursing home. The way it worked in Texas was Medicaid paid a certain amount each month to the nursing home and she paid most of her Social Security check to the nursing home. She was allowed to keep $60/month I think.

Initially a case worker advised what we needed to do to qualify her for Medicaid. There were forms to submit showing bank records for the past 2-3 years and listing any property owned.

When she passed away I got a form to fill out from a company that worked for the state of Texas to try to recover any funds they could to reimburse the State for what they paid toward her care.

They specifically asked about any property she might have owned. She didn’t have any assets left that could be taken as the few hundred dollars left in her checking account were used toward her funeral expenses.

The form did indicate that estates under $10,000 were exempt from being taken. I believe each state will have their own rules.
Thank you!