• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Points after usage year adjustment?

debrinkleyusa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good Day Tuggers,
Can someone tell me what happens to existing points during a usage year adjustment? Here is the specific example:
Buy a new 500K contract that has a July 1 anniversary date. Those 500K will be deposited before closing with a usage date of July 1, 2016 to Jun 2017. After closing the contract will probably be adjusted to have a Jan 1 anniversary to match my other contracts. Does anyone know what happens to the points?

Thanks,
Doug

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had an April usage adjusted to Jan, this is the way I see it.

July 2016 is use year 2017, so if adjusted, Jan 2017 is the first month when a reservation can be made. No points can be used between July and Dec unless credit pooled.

This actually works to your advantage if you want to credit pool those points because it might not close with Wyndham before July.

spackler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Quarter House, Jean Lafitte House, Bali Hai
They'll "push" the points forward by 6 months, effectively negating any usage during that time. (say, from July 1st thru Dec. 31st)

You'll still be expected to pay for MF's during that time, however.

CruiseGuy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Panama City Beach, Bonnet Creek, and Royal Vista
I've never had my points adjusted. I've had different use years for the past 3 years now and added a new resale contract just recently, and one a year ago. So I'd be interested to hear if your use years are adjusted at all.

scootr5

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
My last one wasn't adjusted either, although since points now just go back where they came from and can't be rolled I wish they would have.

tsuspeck

TUG Member
Reaction score
This thread addresses a use year of July 1st. Does the same hold true for a use year of April 1st? Are the points pushed ahead by 9 months so you lose the usage (and the points) for that time frame or is April 1st use year considered to be the same year as Jan 1st??

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
This thread addresses a use year of July 1st. Does the same hold true for a use year of April 1st? Are the points pushed ahead by 9 months so you lose the usage (and the points) for that time frame or is April 1st use year considered to be the same year as Jan 1st??
Use year will be adjusted to Jan 1st. Points available that were to expire June 31st will be available to Dec 31st. So in essence Wyndham will extend the use of points to the end of current year if they have not been used. The 6 months or 9 months of points that were to be available July or April 1st will get pushed into the next year and be available Jan 1st. New owner will Pay maintenance fees for those months without points available? No prorating of points will be given for the 6 months or 9 months of current year. This is a great deal for Wyndham with the new owner getting the shaft . I wonder how many points new owners have been lost without Wyndham prorating points on the use year change?

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. That sucks.....
New owner is getting robbed of points without Wyndham prorating use year. In the past Wyndham always would prorate when a owner would request a use year adjustment. Now Wyndham aligns use year on transfer without points being prorated.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Par for the course. Probably not enough complaints. I would not stand for losing 3-9 months of points.

capital city

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Panama City 520k

Club Access 801k
I have a July 1 use year and recently added a Jan 1 use year. It was added the first week of January. They adjusted it back to July 1 and gave me full points. So I basically got 6 months of mf for free with their adjustment. It looks like to me that all contracts transfer with full points so no one should be getting screwed out of points or usage. Will know more soon as another contract is close to transferring and is much closer to the end of my July 1 use year and it is another Jan 1

tsuspeck

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a July 1 use year and recently added a Jan 1 use year. It was added the first week of January. They adjusted it back to July 1 and gave me full points. So I basically got 6 months of mf for free with their adjustment. It looks like to me that all contracts transfer with full points so no one should be getting screwed out of points or usage. Will know more soon as another contract is close to transferring and is much closer to the end of my July 1 use year and it is another Jan 1
I would be interested to see what happens. I have one that just started the process this week so I have a several months to wait.....

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
When they adjust to Jan 1st use year on a July 1st use year That's what is happening. New owner getting shafted without the proration of points. They will let you use points that were to expireJune 31st until Dec31st. Points that were to be replenished July 1st don't show until January 1st. 6 months of no points that got push into next year use. 6 months of points that vanished to Wyndhams pocket. New owner paying maintenance fees but has no points for those 6 months.

spackler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Par for the course. Probably not enough complaints. I would not stand for losing 3-9 months of points.

I complained when it happened to me. It took 4-5 phone calls involving a lot of back & forth but they eventually made it right.

If they do this to you they are stealing from you - no two ways about it. You are essentially paying 6 months worth of MFs for nonexistent points.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
I complained when it happened to me. It took 4-5 phone calls involving a lot of back & forth but they eventually made it right.

If they do this to you they are stealing from you - no two ways about it. You are essentially paying 6 months worth of MFs for nonexistent points.

Yes I agree. In the past they would prorate points if you called them out on it. Last October this happened and I protested it for 3 months to no avail. Talked to everyone and escalated to supervisors. They would not prorate. Happened again in Feb and the same was stated no proration. They will extend use of points expiring on June 31st but will not hear that they are out right stealing the points not being prorated. Yes 6 months of MFs with no points available becuase they pushed them to Jan 1st of the next year.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score

Finally someone who sees the injustice to the theft of non proration of points. When was the last time they prorated for you. Last October was when they stopped prorating of use year points for me.

Last edited:

capital city

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Panama City 520k

Club Access 801k
I see the injustice I just dont think that I got any with my deal. Had they taken this years points and pushed them to July 1st and made me pay mf for January through June with no access then yes I should get the prorated points. However they went back to last July 1 and gave me full points for the year.

I'm honestly not even sure why they are still realigning contracts anymore. With the new changes it seems that the book and cancel in order to roll points forward wouldn't work anymore so what's the point?

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
I see the injustice I just dont think that I got any with my deal. Had they taken this years points and pushed them to July 1st and made me pay mf for January through June with no access then yes I should get the prorated points. However they went back to last July 1 and gave me full points for the year.

I'm honestly not even sure why they are still realigning contracts anymore. With the new changes it seems that the book and cancel in order to roll points forward wouldn't work anymore so what's the point?
Glitch with new system as when a owner sells several deeds after using all points in his account the points goes negative. I have a problem with a account going negative when no points are available to transfer to a new owner. New system doesn't recognize no points are available in the bucket to transfer so account goes negative.

Last edited:

spackler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
When was the last time they prorated for you. Last October was when they stopped prorating of use year points for me.

This was over a year ago. Maybe they've toughened up since then.

capital city

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Panama City 520k

Club Access 801k

Just got my other contract added yesterday. Just 5 months after they switched the use year of my last contract in January to align with my first contract of July1 they did not align this one. They kept it as a Jan 1 contract and gave me full points. I paid $800 for 500,000 Cwa points and basically got close to half a year of the mf paid for so approx $1500 or so in mf.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just got my other contract added yesterday. Just 5 months after they switched the use year of my last contract in January to align with my first contract of July1 they did not align this one. They kept it as a Jan 1 contract and gave me full points. I paid $800 for 500,000 Cwa points and basically got close to half a year of the mf paid for so approx $1500 or so in mf.
Dont be suprised if they align . Ussually it takes one day after it shows in your accont before it is aligned.

Last edited: