• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Unfortunate situation

hpy2go

Reaction score
I'll make this as short as possible - please let me know if I need to clarify further.

About to head for a great, big (for us) trip to the Mediterranean. After a week (7-day package) in Crete, a week at Son Antem. Some other days around, but those aren't the issue.

FIL has become quite ill. Sorting through my options, but one of the tough things is our reservation at Son Antem. As we're within 60 days, our options are limited. We have travel insurance, so if/when he passes I believe we'll get our maintenance fees back. But I can't reschedule, due to availability (understandable).

I suppose I could "trade" internally - the reserved weeks for a negotiated number of DPs. Are there any other practical options.

We just may go, knowing the likelihood of having to return. Its to the point that I'm looking into quick turnaround flights for a funeral. (He's a veteran, so interment is dependent on scheduled availability as well).

Experiences? Ideas?

Thanks!

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Trading internally is going to be a huge challenge as it is close to your travel date.

Discuss with your travel insurance provider on the situation. I believe you have 2 choices.
- Cancel now if the insurance will pay for a FIL being very ill.
- Travel and come back quickly if he passes and claim insurance.

The main thing is you have to ask what your spouse's feelings are, to travel or not. Go with whichever way your spouse feels.

hpy2go

Reaction score
Trading internally is going to be a huge challenge as it is close to your travel date.

Discuss with your travel insurance provider on the situation. I believe you have 2 choices.
- Cancel now if the insurance will pay for a FIL being very ill.
- Travel and come back quickly if he passes and claim insurance.

The main thing is you have to ask what your spouse's feelings are, to travel or not. Go with whichever way your spouse feels.
Oh yeah! That is the priority - 100%. No doubt at all.
She's inclined to go, as of today. I'm building options in the background.
I do appreciate the reply

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
I'll make this as short as possible - please let me know if I need to clarify further.

About to head for a great, big (for us) trip to the Mediterranean. After a week (7-day package) in Crete, a week at Son Antem. Some other days around, but those aren't the issue.

FIL has become quite ill. Sorting through my options, but one of the tough things is our reservation at Son Antem. As we're within 60 days, our options are limited. We have travel insurance, so if/when he passes I believe we'll get our maintenance fees back. But I can't reschedule, due to availability (understandable).

I suppose I could "trade" internally - the reserved weeks for a negotiated number of DPs. Are there any other practical options.

We just may go, knowing the likelihood of having to return. Its to the point that I'm looking into quick turnaround flights for a funeral. (He's a veteran, so interment is dependent on scheduled availability as well).

Experiences? Ideas?

Thanks!

We had to wait almost three weeks for interment for my FIL but there were some weather (snow) and paperwork issues involved.

Really tough call. I think you're making the right plans, though, and as in all cases just do what the wife wants. Hope everything goes as best as it can.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
My mom passed away recently. She was 98 so it wasn't unexpected. She lived with my sister and bil. My sister called me in February and told me then that I might want to come to see her as she wasn't doing well. I went to MO and spent a few days there. I basically said good by to my mom then. We had a trip planned to Maui (for two weeks with a few days in San Francisco at either end). My sister and I talked about it before we left on that trip. I know she would have let me know if Mom passed, but she didn't expect me to come back from our trip. My sister texted me on the day we left Maui to let me know Mom had taken a turn for the worse. Mom lasted 10 more days, and after she did pass I went to MO to be with my sister and help her go through Mom's things. I was glad I went to Maui since our two dds were with us on that trip. It was a bittersweet trip though.

hpy2go

Reaction score
My mom passed away recently. She was 98 so it wasn't unexpected. She lived with my sister and bil. My sister called me in February and told me then that I might want to come to see her as she wasn't doing well. I went to MO and spent a few days there. I basically said good by to my mom then. We had a trip planned to Maui (for two weeks with a few days in San Francisco at either end). My sister and I talked about it before we left on that trip. I know she would have let me know if Mom passed, but she didn't expect me to come back from our trip. My sister texted me on the day we left Maui to let me know Mom had taken a turn for the worse. Mom lasted 10 more days, and after she did pass I went to MO to be with my sister and help her go through Mom's things. I was glad I went to Maui since our two dds were with us on that trip. It was a bittersweet trip though.
Thanks. Feels unique, but maybe not as unusual as it feels.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Thanks. Feels unique, but maybe not as unusual as it feels.
I think every case in unique. In the case of my mom there really isn't going to be a service. At some point her ashes will be buried in a memorial garden that hasn't been built yet on a venue that my nephew and his wife own. I will most likely go back to MO at that point.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
My MIL had been seriously ill for a long time. We visited her last August and she seemed in good spirits.
We took a river cruise in October bought insurance if we had to cancel, which didn’t happen.
We were going to Myrtle Beach the first part of March, but we got a call from BIL that MIL was failing fast. We went up to Massachusetts to help with arrangements. I called RCI and told them MIL passed and canceled . It was an extra vacation and I spoke to a supervisor and she was understanding and gave us a refund.
We rented a few nights at Myrtle Beach in April after we got MIL affairs settled.
Life happens when you have other plans. RIP Ma. You were loved and missed.
Silentg

SeaDoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Chairman's Club:
2 Marriott Newport Coasts-PLAT;
1 Marriott Desert Springs I-RED;
1 Marriott Timber Lodge - Summer-PLAT;
3 StarElite Vistana: 2 Westin Lagunamar-PLAT

Experiences? Ideas?

Thanks!

I would go. No one knows the day or the hour, enjoy life. Jmho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Whenever my kids leave on a trip I make a point to tell them if I should pass (actually I'm in good health but who knows) while they are gone they should not return. My instructions are to be cremated without a service. I also have a $15,000 Life Insurance Policy whose purpose is to fund a party to celebrate my life at a time and place convenient to all well after my cremation. The money is there for a party. If they choose not to have one and divvy up the money, so be it...

George

NJMOM2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Abound Club Points
Marriott Harbour Lake
Marriott OceanWatch
My dad passed the night before his surprise 90th birthday party (which was the same day as his birthday). He always said he wanted to be cremated and didn't want a wake or funeral service. He wanted us to save the money any use it for a party to celebrate his life. Well, we already had the party planned for his birthday and that is what we did. You never know what will happen when.