• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Rotator cuff repair - recovery

Quiet Pine

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
My shoulder MRI showed 7 problems, including 3 places where there was tearing. Words like "supraspinatus" and "biceps tendon." I had surgery on my other shoulder years ago, and I'm willing to try a different approach. A week from Monday, I'll have Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy. It's "regenerative medicine" and should "stimulate the body's natural healing forces." I'm keeping my expectations low. Insurance won't pay for it, and I signed a form saying, "I understand that this experimental procedure is not a standard of care nor FDA approved, but rather is currently in development as a less-invasive alternative for...surgery." My blood is drawn, whirled around in a centrifuge, and, using ultrasound to guide the needle, injected into 4 place in my shoulder. The doctor has been doing it for 10 years. Fingers crossed.

geekette

Reaction score
I so hope you can get this resolved. It must be very hard for you to deal with day to day. Hope you can get it taken care of and be on the road to recovery very soon.
thank you, sweetie! I'm still luckier than a lot of people and have many tools for coping. Living alone means that I can do whatever crazy sh!t I need to and not disturb anyone with my "coping". I'm not going to stop trying to get better, even if sometimes it is another step back. I can't lie, tho, this has affected my mental health greatly. It's all gone on for too long. I want to go to the beach and maybe I'll sneak it in before surgery since I don't think I will be able to fully enjoy post op and I could use the mood lift. It's never difficult to get girlfriends to respond to "does anyone feel like going to Myrtle Beach?"

geekette

Reaction score
My shoulder MRI showed 7 problems, including 3 places where there was tearing. Words like "supraspinatus" and "biceps tendon." I had surgery on my other shoulder years ago, and I'm willing to try a different approach. A week from Monday, I'll have Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy. It's "regenerative medicine" and should "stimulate the body's natural healing forces." I'm keeping my expectations low. Insurance won't pay for it, and I signed a form saying, "I understand that this experimental procedure is not a standard of care nor FDA approved, but rather is currently in development as a less-invasive alternative for...surgery." My blood is drawn, whirled around in a centrifuge, and, using ultrasound to guide the needle, injected into 4 place in my shoulder. The doctor has been doing it for 10 years. Fingers crossed.
Wow, Quiet, I am pulling for success for you! Sounds fascinating. Having an experienced doctor is a blessing. Please keep us posted, and I will keep positive energy flowing your way.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
My news: A "minor" issue... only a 20% tear... no surgery.
So, just cortisone shots & physical therapy.
Next Q... If it'll heal itself, why didn't it in the last 4 months?

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Well I think it was geekette that thought I could have a pinched nerve.

Well, the pain in my shoulder blade area got so bad this past weekend, that I started taking aspirin (I never take anything)and I went to the doctor today. He said he thinks it is a pinched nerve and wants me to have an MRI unfortunately.

He said if it is not a pinched nerve he thinks it could be muscular. That is also what he said about my leg- he thought it was muscular (and I think he was right). (This is my primary doc, not the orthopedic doc).

So tomorrow I get to make phone calls to find out prices since I have to pay out of pocket with my high deductible insurance plan. I just went through this when I had my ultrasound back in the fall. What a fiasco that was since there is no transparency in health care billing. They expect people to shop for their healthcare but good luck with getting the information on what you will pay.

Once I find out where I will go then I have to call the doctor's office so they can get the authorization and I can set up an appt.

Wish me luck.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Well I think it was geekette that thought I could have a pinched nerve.

Well, the pain in my shoulder blade area got so bad this past weekend, that I started taking aspirin (I never take anything)and I went to the doctor today. He said he thinks it is a pinched nerve and wants me to have an MRI unfortunately.

He said if it is not a pinched nerve he thinks it could be muscular. That is also what he said about my leg- he thought it was muscular (and I think he was right). (This is my primary doc, not the orthopedic doc).

So tomorrow I get to make phone calls to find out prices since I have to pay out of pocket with my high deductible insurance plan. I just went through this when I had my ultrasound back in the fall. What a fiasco that was since there is no transparency in health care billing. They expect people to shop for their healthcare but good luck with getting the information on what you will pay.

Once I find out where I will go then I have to call the doctor's office so they can get the authorization and I can set up an appt.

Wish me luck.

Good luck.

I just had a test for this Friday approved by insurance today and my share of cost is $471.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Good luck.

I just had a test for this Friday approved by insurance today and my share of cost is $471.

Thanks. Being I worked in radiology I know how expensive MRI's can be. The patient copay, of course, depends on the insurance company's contract with each radiology center and can vary by hundreds of dollars- maybe even $1000 or more. That is why i am shopping.

Hope all is ok with you! Is there a shoulder epidemic going on?

Chrisky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Shoulder epidemic, sure looks like it. IMHO as we get older, and retiring or already retired, we are doing more and using body parts that are not used to those movements, and we are not flexible enough. I am a great believer in doing preventative exercises and stretching a lot. I know, in my case, I get lazy sometimes and put off the exercises and stretching, and suffer for it later. I have had arthritis since 1977, and over the years different parts of my body have been greatly affected. My most recent problem has been torn ligaments in my right shoulder. Ultrasound showed 2cm tears. Rheumatologist gave me exercises to do, twice a day, and I also had an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon. To make a long story short, the exercises helped enormously, surgeon’s appointment was cancelled.
Now these exercises are part of my weekly exercise routine, and I also do them for the other shoulder. That is not to say my shoulders are cured, but 95% of the time I do not have a problem, and when I do I can cope with a couple of tylenols overnight and an application of Voltaren on the shoulder.
Mpumilia, hope your problem can be properly diagnosed and something done for you. Pain is an awful thing when it never goes away.

HenryT

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cypress Pt, Eastern Slope Inn, HRA, SBP, WSJ, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Veranda Beach Club, HGVC Hurricane House, Wyndham: Long Wharf, Royal Vista, & SeaWatch Plantation.
I have wanted to go the "Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy" route myself for my shoulder. i would be interested to know how it turns out for you.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I must have good insurance: My cost for the MRI was -0-.
I start PT today... I fail to understand how that will fix it.
But for now, I'll follow instructions like good little doobie.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Being I worked in radiology I know how expensive MRI's can be. The patient copay, of course, depends on the insurance company's contract with each radiology center and can vary by hundreds of dollars- maybe even $1000 or more. That is why i am shopping.

Hope all is ok with you! Is there a shoulder epidemic going on?
Thank you! It is not shoulder related.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I called several places today. Took me 2 hours! No joke! "Sure, I'll hold Let me vacuum the house, make a three course meal and do the laundry while I wait!!!"

Two places said I had to actually make an appointment before they could tell me what my copay would be! Then I even called the insurance company and they only could tell me what the hospital rate would be (stressing it's only an estimate- what the?) because the other facilities were not in their "calculator tool". Wait- what?!!

A simple question- too hard to answer. I don't get it.

Anyway, results were 1) $725 2) $1055 (hospital) 3)$475. I was going to call a fourth but I couldn't take it anymore.

So you know the one I went with. Can't get me in until next Wed very early morning and it's an hour away.

taffy19

Reaction score
I have a 50% tear and starting to set up consults.

My sister is scaring the hell out of me based on what her friend went thru, I have no idea if our situations are similar so thought I would turn to this treasure trove of folks that have been there done that.

I was thinking this was like other surgeries where PT starts nearly immediately. Is this true or is there a period of needing to be immobilized?

I have become accustomed to doing most everything with my other arm while I've healed from other stuff and the arm is simply weak and ineffective, but I do live alone and she tells me that I must have someone here with me while I recover. Fact or crap?

I half expect to hear "it depends" but would like to hear from anyone that has had the surgery and can give me some idea.

I am not sure I would do spine surgery at roughly same time but I am cottoning to the idea of getting everything over with, live the misery a few weeks, then finally maybe start to feel normal with much less pain in my life. I can get a short term roommate, I have a rockstar friend that would do it and I live 5 minutes from her job. I prefer to remain solo but I just need to know if that is reasonable.

I will of course ask lots of questions as I go around to the different surgeons but I know from experience they won't tell me everything and may downplay the level of pain I should expect and possibly my ability to live alone. If all I need is the 24 hour watcher to make sure I come down from anesthesia ok, that's easy. If it's more than that, I will have to coordinate my surgery with plans of my chosen caretaker.

I would also appreciate honest input on whether the shoulder feels normal and returns to full utility. I am 53 and always active and sporty. I hope to get back to that but if that is dreaming, I'd like to know it.

And I hate to ask, but has anyone had the surgery and had bad results, like wishing they'd never tried to have it repaired. I hope not, but I wanna know.

thanks for any input. nobody likes surgery but I tend to get freaked out. Knowledge is power, so if I can set my expectations appropriately then it will be an easier go mentally.
A friend of ours went this route and told us that it worked for him. His doctor is in Orange County in CA.

I heard this doctor (M.D) talk about the therapy on the radio and you can request a free booklet about it plus you can see how it is done on his website too.

www.stemcellinstite.com or call 1-800-300-9300.

His office is near UCLA. Our friend gave us his doctor’s phone number too and I could get it again but the website of Dr. Darrow explains it in detail.

I don’t know what State you live in, geekette, but I would get the booklet. The more you know, the better! I may call the number myself to find out more information too.

PS. I noticed that the website doesn't work on my phone or on this computer either. Not a secure site or something like that? I don't know why but try this link instead.

https://health.usnews.com/doctors/marc-darrow-31678

Last edited:

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I wish they could just inject some nanobots that'd fix things.
I guess that's too sci-fi... for now.

taffy19

Reaction score
I would love to hear your results. A friend of ours did the same treatment too a few years ago on his shoulder and it was successful for him. He likes to bowl and is doing it again.

I called the number that I posted about earlier and the book is on it’s way.

Good luck!

PS. Try this website instead because it is secure. The other one didn't work when I checked.

Last edited:

geekette

Reaction score
I wish they could just inject some nanobots that'd fix things.
I guess that's too sci-fi... for now.
Actually, could be that a bot had something to do with other problems I have. those buggers tear through everything in their way so I have a "loose body" in my chest. nobody can tell me what it is. I'm going to be a no on bots.

geekette

Reaction score
I would love to hear your results. A friend of ours did the same treatment too a few years ago on his shoulder and it was successful for him. He likes to bowl and is doing it again.

I called the number that I posted about earlier and the book is on it’s way.

Good luck!

PS. Try this website instead because it is secure. The other one didn't work when I checked.

whoa, bowling again?! That's GREAT!

geekette

Reaction score
A friend of ours went this route and told us that it worked for him. His doctor is in Orange County in CA.

I heard this doctor (M.D) talk about the therapy on the radio and you can request a free booklet about it plus you can see how it is done on his website too.

www.stemcellinstite.com or call 1-800-300-9300.

His office is near UCLA. Our friend gave us his doctor’s phone number too and I could get it again but the website of Dr. Darrow explains it in detail.

I don’t know what State you live in, geekette, but I would get the booklet. The more you know, the better! I may call the number myself to find out more information too.

PS. I noticed that the website doesn't work on my phone or on this computer either. Not a secure site or something like that? I don't know why but try this link instead.

Wow, thank you!!!

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
Do you absolutely need the surgery? My doctor's assistant pretty much talked me out of it.

I don't know the % of tear that I had but it happened when I was about to turn 60 and was still working. I slipped on ice and tore it. I started therapy right away to see how it would go then decide on surgery. I ended up going back to work after 3 months of therapy. I was able to do the things that mattered to me at the time, with some pain, but still able to do them.

Fishing, gardening, chain saw use, and swimming were the things I needed/wanted to be able to do. I made an appointment with a surgeon and had a conference with his assistant first. She explained that the surgery is very painful with a long recovery and no guarantee that I would be better than I could make myself with physical therapy. She suggested that if I could do the things I really wanted to do it would probably be better if I just continue with PT until I didn't need it.

That is the route I chose and now 12 years later I don't even know that I ever had a problem.

I know this is probably not the same situation you are in but it is my experience.

Quiet Pine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
About Platelet Rich Plasma Treatment: It's almost 3 days post treatment. Blood draw was painless. I refused to look, so don't know how much was taken. Then the centrifuge, which whirred for a very long time. Then the doctor came in and spent 10-15 minutes injecting both lidocaine and plasma in 2 places. Hurt at times, but not much. Drove myself home. Pain as expected during first 2 days, but no worse than before. Some "discomfort" (love that euphemism) for next 2 weeks, then a followup with doctor. I'm feeling optimistic. I don't bowl now, so I don't expect to add that to my activities, but living pain free would be delightful.

taffy19

Reaction score
About Platelet Rich Plasma Treatment: It's almost 3 days post treatment. Blood draw was painless. I refused to look, so don't know how much was taken. Then the centrifuge, which whirred for a very long time. Then the doctor came in and spent 10-15 minutes injecting both lidocaine and plasma in 2 places. Hurt at times, but not much. Drove myself home. Pain as expected during first 2 days, but no worse than before. Some "discomfort" (love that euphemism) for next 2 weeks, then a followup with doctor. I'm feeling optimistic. I don't bowl now, so I don't expect to add that to my activities, but living pain free would be delightful.
I hope that it will work for you and you will not need the surgery and can live pain free soon.

In my other post (#40) of May 8, I posted a phone number for Dr. Marc Darrow in Los Angeles. The office only asked me for my name and address and I received the book in a couple of days.

It is almost 200 pages and has explanations with drawings, pictures and a lot of foot notes in the back of the book. It is not a pamphlet for just advertising his practice. I found it very informative.

Stem cell plateless therapy is now used for many conditions and are listed on a glossy heavy stock paper that you could use as a bookmark plus his phone number at the bottom (1-800-9300) and his credentials on the back plus a business card.

DancingWaters

TUG Member
Reaction score
I must have good insurance: My cost for the MRI was -0-.
I start PT today... I fail to understand how that will fix it.
But for now, I'll follow instructions like good little doobie.

Talent312
It does sound like you have tremendous insurance. May I ask who you have insurance with? Turning 65 next month and I want to get very good insurance.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Talent312
It does sound like you have tremendous insurance. May I ask who you have insurance with?

I have an Aetna policy thru my state employee/retiree group.
But I will be signing up for Medicare + Medigap policy next year.
Then I will truly feel a part of the "senior class."

Last edited:

DancingWaters

TUG Member
Reaction score
That’s great reassurances, I just signed up for Aetna through State Teachers Retirement. I did not get full retirement so, my premium is higher than most Teachers, so I hope it’s great coverage. I narrowed it down between that one and the G plan. I heard the State Teachers plan had a better prescription plan. June 1 is my official change over date. All pretty scary.......

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
My MRI showed nothing but just a little arthritis. So doc says must be muscular. That was essentially the same issue with my leg.

Why suddenly I have muscular issues I don't know. But I am glad it was not anything like a pinched nerve or a rotator cuff.