• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Question for Sue Grafton fans

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Is it OK to read her novels out of alphabetical order? Or is it best to start from the beginning and read them in sequence?

Thanks.

Richard

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Is it OK to read her novels out of alphabetical order? Or is it best to start from the beginning and read them in sequence?

Thanks.

Richard
She's on my to read list -- but I would only start with "A" - - thanks for the reminder. I did the entire Janet Evancovich list in numerical order.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
She was my favorite author. Go in order if you can. A few things are referenced of past events.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for the replies.

Richard

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, definitely read them in order. I haven't finished the last half-dozen or so, but I started reading her when I was in middle-school. Yikes! But the conceit is that each book takes place roughly a month after the previous book, which allowed her main character to continue living in a world without smart phones or ubiquitous internet access--and it does mean that she is often living with repercussions of previous storylines in any given book.

Dori

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I read both Sue Grafton and Janet Evanovich novels in order. Janet Evanovich's characters made me laugh out loud!

Dori

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
In order is probably preferable but you will still do fine if you jump around. Each is written so you don't have to have read any others.

Last edited:

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you haven't read any, I don't think it is a problem if you take one from the middle based on whether it appears to have a particularly intriguing plot or it got particularly good reviews. If, having read one, you like her style, then go back to the beginning and read the rest in order.

linsj

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
In order is probably preferable but you will still do fine if you jump around. Each is written so you don't have to have ready any others.

This. Although I prefer to read a series in order, the books aren't always on the library shelf. So I start with the earliest ones that are there and put the missing ones in my hold list.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pretty much stand alone, and each gives the necessary exposition to explain the characters who appear in all the novels.

geekette

Reaction score
They build. She is really good at re-intro'ing characters, but from the start is the best. Each is a stand-alone mystery so you won't lose the flavor if you enter mid-series.

That was my favorite series. Susan is gone far too soon.

Evanovich is funny, but it's not the same as a female Magnum PI that is as tomboy as I am. I laughed out loud the first time she mentioned her all purpose dress. I do that! The Stephanie Plum series is much more over the top, it can be hard to suspend disbelief. The One For the Money movie was, imo, ho hum. not at all what I pictured any of the characters, but that's ok, I just didn't find the movie to be particularly well done. I would watch another if they made it.

I got lost in the Kay Scarpetta series by ... Patricia Cromwell, I want to say? There were a lot of them and I did find a lot of "wait, what?" in those when I hopped around. not for the squeamish, she is, among other things, a medical examiner.

Gosh, I am getting excited to think about catching up on my reading after I have my shoulder fixed!!! I want a hammock but not advisable.

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
I've read some of hers off and on over the years and have enjoyed each title without the benefit of doing them in order, but I suspect it would be better to read them in order if that's an option. Many of her characters, like her landlord, appear in each book, but I'm sure there are nuances to the relationships that I've missed.

In fact, I've been reading several mystery series that were new to me, starting with book 1 and going through them all and have enjoyed the process. It's been interesting to watch how characters have evolved and how past events play a role. I've finished Louise Penny and Donna Leon, until either does another new title, and am revisiting William Kent Kruger's Cork O'Connor series because I missed some of them. I'm also working my way through Andre Camilleri's Inspector Montalbano books. I had been thinking of doing the Sue Grafton series, too, but need to finish up one of the others first. I'm sure I'll end up rereading some but I suspect I won't remember enough of the plots to make it a problem!

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I've read some of hers off and on over the years and have enjoyed each title without the benefit of doing them in order, but I suspect it would be better to read them in order if that's an option. Many of her characters, like her landlord, appear in each book, but I'm sure there are nuances to the relationships that I've missed.

In fact, I've been reading several mystery series that were new to me, starting with book 1 and going through them all and have enjoyed the process. It's been interesting to watch how characters have evolved and how past events play a role. I've finished Louise Penny and Donna Leon, until either does another new title, and am revisiting William Kent Kruger's Cork O'Connor series because I missed some of them. I'm also working my way through Andre Camilleri's Inspector Montalbano books. I had been thinking of doing the Sue Grafton series, too, but need to finish up one of the others first. I'm sure I'll end up rereading some but I suspect I won't remember enough of the plots to make it a problem!
+1 for Donna Leon.

Richard

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
They build. She is really good at re-intro'ing characters, but from the start is the best. Each is a stand-alone mystery so you won't lose the flavor if you enter mid-series.

That was my favorite series. Susan is gone far too soon.

Evanovich is funny, but it's not the same as a female Magnum PI that is as tomboy as I am. I laughed out loud the first time she mentioned her all purpose dress. I do that! The Stephanie Plum series is much more over the top, it can be hard to suspend disbelief. The One For the Money movie was, imo, ho hum. not at all what I pictured any of the characters, but that's ok, I just didn't find the movie to be particularly well done. I would watch another if they made it.

I got lost in the Kay Scarpetta series by ... Patricia Cromwell, I want to say? There were a lot of them and I did find a lot of "wait, what?" in those when I hopped around. not for the squeamish, she is, among other things, a medical examiner.

Gosh, I am getting excited to think about catching up on my reading after I have my shoulder fixed!!! I want a hammock but not advisable.
I did not realize Sue Grafton passed away before reaching "Z".

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Her X book was awful and got terrible reviews. It did not seem like it was even written by her. I thought maybe she was tired of the series. When she died of cancer, I realized maybe at the time, she was going through treatment and just not up to that book. And then surprisingly Y was better. For years I had joked she could never die until the series was finished. But it is sort of appropriate to leave us hanging, wondering how Z would have ended. Kinsey will live forever!

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Female private detectives
Sue Grafton and Sara Paretsky both started in 1982. Paretsky created V,I, Warshasky and set her novels in Chicago.
Marcia Muller started her series in 1977 with sharon McCone, set in San Francisco but her second book didn’t come out until 1982. I think she is the most prolific with 34 novels, and those are best read in order.
After these series took off, female private eye series became popular. These are all serious, hard boiled detectives who risk life and limb. Not the same as Miss Marple, who was of the cozy genre of mysteries and quite a bit tougher than Nancy Drew.
Laura Lippmann series with Tess Monaghan were set in Baltimore, a good series, that started later

I attribute my love of detective novels to not being able to afford to buy Nancy Drew books and the library refusing to stock them when I was a child.

Last edited:

Dori

TUG Member
Reaction score
Geekette, I agree about the movie "One for the Money". I could totally see Sandra Bullock as perfect for the role of Stephanie Plum!

Dori

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sue Grafton and Sara Paretsky both started in 1982. Paretsky created V,I, Warshasky and set her novels in Chicago.
Marcia Muller started her series in 1977 with sharon McCone, set in San Francisco but her second book didn’t come out until 1982. I think she is the most prolific with 34 novels, and those are best read in order.
After these series took off, female private eye series became popular. These are all serious, hard boiled detectives who risk life and limb. Not the same as Miss Marple, who was of the cozy genre of mysteries and quite a bit tougher than Nancy Drew.
Laura Lippmann series with Tess Monaghan were set in Baltimore, a good series, that started later

I attribute my love of detective novels to not being able to afford to buy Nancy Drew books and the library refusing to stock them when I was a child.
Hi Rapmarks.

Thanks for this synopsis.

I have enjoyed the Laura Lippmann novels that I have read but I have not read any of her Tess Monaghan series. I'll have to put those on my list. I'll also have to look up Marcia Muller.

Changing genres. - for Greg Iles fans - his latest novel - 'Cemetery Road' - was recently released. I didn't get hooked until I was about 50 pages in.

Richard

geekette

Reaction score

awesome, thank you!!!

What kind of a crap library refuses to have Nancy Drew?? Were Hardy Boys books there?

Reminds me, slightly tangent, but horse season - Dick Francis novels, have read most all and learned much about horse racing.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
awesome, thank you!!!

What kind of a crap library refuses to have Nancy Drew?? Were Hardy Boys books there?

Reminds me, slightly tangent, but horse season - Dick Francis novels, have read most all and learned much about horse racing.
Dick Francis son Felix is now writing those novels, dick died a few years back.
As an aside Tony Hillermans daughter Anna is now writing those novels, and she is giving more voice to the female members of the tribal police

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Dick Francis son Felix is now writing those novels, dick died a few years back.
As an aside Tony Hillermans daughter Anna is now writing those novels, and she is giving more voice to the female members of the tribal police
Tony Hillerman's daughters name is Anne. And yes, she is giving more of a voice to Bernie, the female character. I met Anne Hillerman, and I've read all of her books to date. They are fun. She brought her characters into Santa Fe (where she lives) in the first book and it was hysterical. She mentioned places I've been, and her description of someone giving directions on how to get to the main post office were priceless.

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Since people are mentioning other mystery series, I might mention Kathryn Wall's Bay Tanner series. Not as famous as the other series mentioned in this thread, but might be of special interest in that a number of Tuggers either own or trade to Hilton Head Island. The series takes place on Hilton Head with some recognizable spots mentioned. Bay Tanner herself is of the same sassy ilk as Kinsey Millhone.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
One thing I find interesting is that both Grafton and Paretsky, who started the novels at the same time, chose to create a super senior as a neighbor, confidant,and sounding board for the female investigators. I believe one is 88 and the other about ninety.

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I read Grafton years ago and eventually moved on. I find most of the longer series lose steam after 10 or so books. Do any of you feel like the latter books are still a good read? Maybe I'll go back and finish the alphabet.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I read Grafton years ago and eventually moved on. I find most of the longer series lose steam after 10 or so books. Do any of you feel like the latter books are still a good read? Maybe I'll go back and finish the alphabet.
I thought they were worth it. Always got my name first on the library reserve list when a new one was pending. And would finish it in a few days. They are fast reads because they are so good.