• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wyndham - Was Wyndham Access, now Plus, but I need help, advise, lost

SeaDoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Chairman's Club:
2 Marriott Newport Coasts-PLAT;
1 Marriott Desert Springs I-RED;
1 Marriott Timber Lodge - Summer-PLAT;
3 StarElite Vistana: 2 Westin Lagunamar-PLAT
Hello everyone!

Call me a fool, but this stuff is all very new to me and I am or may not have gotten a good deal on everything I did.

Almost a year ago, I got 200k points for 30k for Access. The good the wife and I did one of those beloved sales things, and now we have 326,000 for 56k for Plus. So we changed from Access to Plus. The home resort is Wyndham Bonnet Creek Resort. The sales guy, whom I won't name appeared very credible, well respected, and basically one of the top dogs for Wyndham. The vive was he was too important for someone like me, but never showed it in any way.

Shame on me, but I can't remember what I got per point. All I know it was whatever they cost in 2008. So the problem now comes in affordability. I am young, stupid, etc. almost 30. I had access for almost 1 year, I could afford this, pay extra towards my mortgage, save for my kids collage, continue to build my 401k and some other investments to retire around 67. My payments will basically double now with Plus. I can make it happen, but it means I will actually have to rearrange how I spend money, maybe pay off my mortgage month to month with nothing extra. In other words, I will have to do this thing called budgeting. Yes yes, probably should have done this already, but I always thought why bother when I live comfortably with really no worries. But now I am kind of worried and I'm second guessing everything.

Sales guy said he has people trying to get into Bonnet Creek, there is a wait list, and Wyndham will just randomly select people with access and move them into the "Plus" via Bonnet Creek. Lucky hat draw sort of thing. Thinking back on a lot of things he said, red flags shoot up. Mainly because I do not know if what was said is true or not. I have tried to do research, but I am not coming up with anything helpful, so I am hoping everyone, someone, here can help me out. I keep telling myself that I want the 200k points and so far I am very happy with it, and I really do not need the Plus. As always the deal is now or never, and it sounded like it was a very good deal, with a 25k discount on the deal.

I would really appreciate some advise on if this was a good deal, should I try to keep it, or just back out of it as I signed for this on 5/13/2019 and I believe I have 10 days to get out of it.

If more information is needed, I can do my best to provide it.

Personally, I would rescind. Not worth the stress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
It maybe cheaper then paying maintenance fees. Either way I would rescind as quick as possible.
You will pay maintenance fees one way or another - either as an owner or to an owner in terms of rent, plus. By renting you will save the initial outlay of funds and you can walk away at anytime.

talkamotta

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I went to a sales meeting in Vegas. My dil wanted to know about timesharing. I told her not to buy and if they hard sell you just say if I keep sucking up to my mil i will get everything I want. They offered 183,000 credits for $40k. I like their plan and I've stayed at Wyndam enough to know that I like their resorts. There are a few resorts that I can't get into when I want so it made sense to buy into their plan. So I went on eBay and bought at one of the places I would go to at least eoy. The seller paid all closing costs and I paid $1.
Now one of the advantages of Wyndam is worldmark...developer paid points can trade between systems. So I bought worldmark on eBay at .12 a credit. I live in the west so this made sense to me. I've been timesharing since 1997, not all my timeshare purchases have been good, but some have been wonderful......so we will see how this works.

Last edited:

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
You will pay maintenance fees one way or another - either as an owner or to an owner in terms of rent, plus. By renting you will save the initial outlay of funds and you can walk away at anytime.
Agree on your point of view. Rent from another owner may be a way to test drive the product before you buy.

Last edited:

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
So what? He can always rent from a VIP, no?
Lets assume at huge discount compared to purchasing developer points. Unless he wants the status of becoming a VIP!

Last edited:

drepublic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
VIP Silver, Wyndham Clearwater Beach (326k Developer), Wyndham Bonnet Creek (74k Developer and 269k Resale) Wyndham Ocean Boulevard (220.5k Resale)
Hello everyone!

Call me a fool, but this stuff is all very new to me and I am or may not have gotten a good deal on everything I did.

Almost a year ago, I got 200k points for 30k for Access. The good the wife and I did one of those beloved sales things, and now we have 326,000 for 56k for Plus. So we changed from Access to Plus. The home resort is Wyndham Bonnet Creek Resort.

I did exactly what you did...and I mean EXACTLY down to the point levels except my home resort is Clearwater (I also have 326,000 points), and my wife and I had plans to eventually move to VIP. Besides maintenance cost...the biggest difference between your home resort and mine is availability points cost (there's a big points discount on Bonnett Creeks Value season and no discount at Clearwater which just over a 100 units).

Those sales guys must be good over there as I couldn't even talk a very close friend out of buying and I called them in the middle of their meeting...but I'll give it another run with you....

At least you found this TUG sooner than I did and hopefully within your recession period.

There is a lot of inventory and available at Bonnet Creek (and the points are way cheaper in the off season) and you do not need to pay the high maintenance cost per thousand to book Bonnet Creek and you do not need ARP to book Bonnet Creek. If you want to book Bonnet Creek AND you want more points you can easily get most of what you want 10 months out. I advise you to rescind NOW and spend some time of these forums and look for a low maintenance fee resale contract if you want more points.

I put this chart together while looking for a resale contract. I wanted to see how many points per year I could get for every $1000 spent per year in maintenance costs (program fee included). You'll see that Bonnett Creek has some of the highest maintenance cost, so you'd be better off owning a low maintenance fee contract for points or (dare I say what I know dgalati is thinking...lol)..renting from a VIP expecially when looking at Bonnet Creek. Honestly there's so much availability at Bonnet Creek I'd probably look at renting from an owner with VIP discounts before spending my Clearwater Maintnenance cost points aren't too bad.

Just my two cents...

UDI Points Comparison.png

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did exactly what you did...and I mean EXACTLY down to the point levels except my home resort is Clearwater (I also have 326,000 points), and my wife and I had plans to eventually move to VIP. Besides maintenance cost...the biggest difference between your home resort and mine is availability points cost (there's a big points discount on Bonnett Creeks Value season and no discount at Clearwater which just over a 100 units).

Those sales guys must be good over there as I couldn't even talk a very close friend out of buying and I called them in the middle of their meeting...but I'll give it another run with you....

At least you found this TUG sooner than I did and hopefully within your recession period.

There is a lot of inventory and available at Bonnet Creek (and the points are way cheaper in the off season) and you do not need to pay the high maintenance cost per thousand to book Bonnet Creek and you do not need ARP to book Bonnet Creek. If you want to book Bonnet Creek AND you want more points you can easily get most of what you want 10 months out. I advise you to rescind NOW and spend some time of these forums and look for a low maintenance fee resale contract if you want more points.

I put this chart together while looking for a resale contract. I wanted to see how many points per year I could get for every $1000 spent per year in maintenance costs (program fee included). You'll see that Bonnett Creek has some of the highest maintenance cost, so you'd be better off owning a low maintenance fee contract for points or (dare I say what I know dgalati is thinking...lol)..renting from a VIP expecially when looking at Bonnet Creek. Honestly there's so much availability at Bonnet Creek I'd probably look at renting from an owner with VIP discounts before spending my Clearwater Maintnenance cost points aren't too bad.

Just my two cents...

View attachment 11929

LOL, You may find it is a better option.
This post is my personal opinion

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
LOL, You may find it is a better option.

Just my two cents...

View attachment 11929
You both will be very hard pressed to find TUGGERS advising to buy at high MF resorts unless it’s a very specific need

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score

I put this chart together while looking for a resale contract. I wanted to see how many points per year I could get for every $1000 spent per year in maintenance costs (program fee included). You'll see that Bonnett Creek has some of the highest maintenance cost, so you'd be better off owning a low maintenance fee contract for points or (dare I say what I know dgalati is thinking...lol)..renting from a VIP especially when looking at Bonnet Creek. Honestly there's so much availability at Bonnet Creek I'd probably look at renting from an owner with VIP discounts before spending my Clearwater Maintenance cost points aren't too bad.

Just my two cents...

You both will be very hard pressed to find TUGGERS advising to buy at high MF resorts unless it’s a very specific need

BD,
drepublic posted exactly what you stated. My comment was in regards to his post on renting from a VIP?

Last edited:

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
No one was advising this. Read the post again.