• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

There are two kinds of people...

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
thumbnail

Cliff found this somewhere today and thought of me. Which one do you think I am? Hmm, when I go to edit I see the cartoon, but I sure don't see it on my post. Anyway picture is of one gas gauge at the 3/4 mark "I need to fill up" and the other gas gauge is on empty "I know my car". Caption says "and they are often married to each other".

Lydlady

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, this is DH and me. I don't stress too much when driving locally because there are gas stations all over and I've got a car that gets great gas mileage. But on vacations... DH and I have actually gotten in arguments over when to stop. We have a long road trip coming up and hopefully this will not be an issue.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes! As I was sitting in stand still traffic the other day I came across this. I sent it to hubby cuz it was so true.

He: fills up his tank once reaches a quarter left in the tank, no matter what.
Me: I wait until the fill up NOW message is blinking like crazy.

At the time I actually had a full tank.....but his response was.
"so, are you telling me you will be running out of gas sitting in traffic"

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
He: fills up his tank once reaches a quarter left in the tank, no matter what.
Me: I wait until the fill up NOW message is blinking like crazy.
And I will wait until the "miles until empty" readout is less than 10. I've run it past 0 before, so it obviously lies. :D

Kurt

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
When will they learn? The nervous partner thinks gas tank needs to be filled, so fill it and avoid the grumbling that ensues until the tank is full. Our newest car has a count down easily visible from the passenger seat that tells me how many miles the car can drive on the gas that is left, and coupled with the Garmin telling me how many miles we have to go, I know when I need to start complaining.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
This is why we own three cars. One three-quarters full, one three-quarters empty, and one for when we're both wrong. ;)

Dave

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
I fill up when it is down to about a 1/4 of a tank, but that coincides with me having to empty MY tank.:eek:

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
This is my wife and I exactly! She's so bad about it, that she will switch cars to commute to work, I'll hop in the other one to get groceries or whatever, and the low fuel light is on......
Better yet, we'll be going somewhere (not too far) as a family, and if we're gonna be a little early, she'll suggest we take the car that's low on gas so I will fill it up. If we're gonna be close to on time or late, she's likely comment not to take the car she's been driving to work the last few days......

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
We like our vehicles full and clean but often run them low and dirty with no worries either way. :D

Bill

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Title of post reminds me of how this phrase can apply to the 'two kinds of people's in so many areas of life. And how it seems they tend to marry their opposite.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
I fill up, hubby pushes it for as long as he can.

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I fill my tank when I go by the cheap gas stations anytime at 1/2 or below. Having said that we do not go that way often and my range display has been in single digits a couple of times.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
Title of post reminds me of how this phrase can apply to the 'two kinds of people's in so many areas of life. And how it seems they tend to marry their opposite.

That holds true with us. There are two kinds of people. Those like me who have to be on time and those like my wife that have never arrived on time in her life.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm the 'fill it at 1/4' one. DW will run hers down to single digits on the Range scale. But curiously, in Winter her electric only charges to about 35 miles of electric range (It still has *some* gas in the tank, so will run on hybrid mode) but she will plug it in in warm weather when range gets below 40 electric miles.

Diff'rent strokes.

Jim

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Of course I've pumped gas exactly three times in my life (far fewer times than Cliff has eaten quiche). Once when Cliff was teaching me how to do it, once shortly after that alone when the sun from the south made such a glare on the screen that I couldn't read it and gave up ( with 3/4 tank left it wasn't an issue), and once on a road trip when Cliff said it's been five years since I showed you, I'm sure you've forgotten by now. When my PT Cruiser needs gas I let Cliff know and he takes care of it.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Of course I've pumped gas exactly three times in my life (far fewer times than Cliff has eaten quiche). Once when Cliff was teaching me how to do it, once shortly after that alone when the sun from the south made such a glare on the screen that I couldn't read it and gave up ( with 3/4 tank left it wasn't an issue), and once on a road trip when Cliff said it's been five years since I showed you, I'm sure you've forgotten by now. When my PT Cruiser needs gas I let Cliff know and he takes care of it.
My DW is that way about washing the car. Those 'tunnels' frighten her no end. So if I want the cars washed, I have to do it because she simply won't.

mentalbreak

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is so true!
I see it as a challenge.
My PR fillip is 19.92 gallons in a 20 gallon tank.
Drives my husband insane.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
This is so true!
I see it as a challenge.
You better get your fuel filter changed often.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).

Really??? Three times in your life? When traveling together hubby always does the filling. But around town, I'm in charge of my own. I also do a good bit of out of town traveling alone or with Mother so of course, I fill. He does wash my car the majority of the time. Back in the day, my dad made sure I knew how to drive a stick shift, change a tire, get unstuck, check and add oil, add water to a radiator, jump start with battery cables, and fill up the tank. Oh, and read a map. I wonder what he would think of cars and their technology today? He died in 1976.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Really??? Three times in your life? When traveling together hubby always does the filling. But around town, I'm in charge of my own. I also do a good bit of out of town traveling alone or with Mother so of course, I fill. He does wash my car the majority of the time. Back in the day, my dad made sure I knew how to drive a stick shift, change a tire, get unstuck, check and add oil, add water to a radiator, jump start with battery cables, and fill up the tank. Oh, and read a map. I wonder what he would think of cars and their technology today? He died in 1976.
I do fill my own tank (when we travel we take dh's car so he does the fill ups). I take care of getting my car washed, serviced and having the tires changed from regular to winter tires, and back. I don't know how to do most of the things you do, but I wish I did.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is so true!
I see it as a challenge.
Probably not a real good idea. In the vast majority of cars today, the fuel pump is electric and it's inside the tank. It's cooled by the fuel. If empty and working to suck up the dregs in the bottom of the tank and sucking some air along with it, the pump could overheat, and that would NOT be a good thing.

Reactions: DrQ

mentalbreak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Probably not a real good idea. In the vast majority of cars today, the fuel pump is electric and it's inside the tank. It's cooled by the fuel. If empty and working to suck up the dregs in the bottom of the tank and sucking some air along with it, the pump could overheat, and that would NOT be a good thing.

Hmmm. I guess I’ve just been lucky. (Knocking on wood.)

Current vehicle 15.5 years old with 260k miles. One before that made it over 290k.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
I'm amazed at how untruthful fuel gauges are. I heard an explanation for it once, but can't remember.

I've kept track on one of our vehicles, and here's the mileage at different levels:

3/4: 165
1/2: 265
3/4: 335

See how each 1/4 is less and less miles? The bottom 1/4 on any vehicle I've ever had has never lasted very long. If we're towing our camper and it gets to 1/4, I'm looking for the next Flying J, Pilot, TA, Loves . . .

Last edited: