• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

There are two kinds of people...

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I fill up ours on the weekend when we get an extra .06 off at the already cheapest gas station so sometimes we're low and other times we have more. With the 4 cars I save about $6 a week doing this. it all adds up.

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Did you know the miles to empty on a Toyota Highlander says "1 miles" instead of "mile"? My DH won't let his go below 1/4.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
When my car drops under 40 miles of range, it starts suggesting gas stations as POI's.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
Coward. My PR is 20 gallons in a 19 gallon tank.
My 16 Ford Escape and 17 Ford Explorer both have a 15 gallon tank and give the warning at 50miles to E.
The explorer actually turns the light on at 1/4tank.....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Neither my husband nor I have a fixation on getting gas if the tank gets down to half. If we are driving some distance we start paying attention to where the next stop is and what prices are when we get down to a third of a tank. When the needle gets to just under a quarter we aren't worried yet but we aren't pushing it to go a little further if we see a place to stop. Like other people posted we now have a car that tells us how many miles we have left in the tank and a Garmin that tells us where the next gas station is. The one thing I really dislike that it took my husband literally decades to finally stop doing is to come home with a low tank. He covered a large territory so was easily filling up several times a week. Almost every time we went anywhere together we would invariably have to stop for gas first. I'm an if it needs done do it now not later person about things like that.

Now about the other ways we differ. He drinks coffee, likes instant pudding, black jelly beans and circus peanuts. I don't drink coffee and never have; tea is my thing. I love cooked pudding; particularly the skin on the top which he thinks is disgusting. I think I could eat black jelly beans and circus peanuts if I was in danger of actual starvation but I even under those circumstances I can't imagine being grateful for them.

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
LOL. I fill at half-tank ... my DH is perfectly comfortable with the yellow light glaring at him for 30 miles. Gladly, he installed ScanGauge units in both of our trucks. I was relying on it heavily this week while canvassing SoCal and AZ for livestock panels pulling a trailer in pouring rain, high winds, dust storms and all l-o-n-g stretches of 'nothing' between desert cities. Yeah for my ScanGauge!

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
LOL. I fill at half-tank ... my DH is perfectly comfortable with the yellow light glaring at him for 30 miles. Gladly, he installed ScanGauge units in both of our trucks. I was relying on it heavily this week while canvassing SoCal and AZ for livestock panels pulling a trailer in pouring rain, high winds, dust storms and all l-o-n-g stretches of 'nothing' between desert cities. Yeah for my ScanGauge!

Learn something every day on TUG! Thanks for the Scan Gauge info. Never heard of it and will read the link.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
That holds true with us. There are two kinds of people. Those like me who have to be on time and those like my wife that have never arrived on time in her life.

If we have to be somewhere at 2:00, that means my husband starts getting ready at 2:00

These statements are spot on to describe my DH. But, he is the one obsessed with filling up when the tank hits 1/4 full. I usually will not go below 1/8 myself, but I'm not as obsessive as he is. I guess that means he has a split personality or something...

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
I am currently in the process of compiling a written list of my "lifetime sayings" (KIDS, roll your eyes!)
attributed to me only which I made up, to give to my children to remember and to someday share with their children.
There are about 40 so far.

Here is one from the list:
"There is only one excuse I will accept for NOT being on time, and that is....
if you're early."

(And of course a few will have a VERY brief supplemental comment as to their importance
and how they influenced my life.)

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Have some of you considered marriage counseling?

:ponder:

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Been married 49 years,and spent half the time waiting for him. Too late now.

I had trouble getting Cliff out the door to be on time for clients. Frosted my behind that 15 minutes before it was time to play cards with our old neighbors (a 10 minute drive), he'd be all antsy and why don't I have my jacket on. Clients he let wait, but he can't be late for cards. SMH.

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
Here in the land of earthquakes and forest fires, DW prefers to keep the family Escape Capsule above 1/2 tank, in case of sudden departure from a region without power.

Fortunately, since retirement, this means filling the tank twice a month instead of six times.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sometimes we wonder what influences our preferences one way or another -- imagine this: married nearly 20 years to a man who was always early, and checked to be certain doors were locked in a nearly compulsive manner. However, after two surgeries on his brain he didn't care if we were late to church, and one morning woke up to our front door wide open. Otherwise he was fairly unaffected by it.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Here in the land of earthquakes and forest fires, DW prefers to keep the family Escape Capsule above 1/2 tank, in case of sudden departure from a region without power.

Fortunately, since retirement, this means filling the tank twice a month instead of six times.
That's a good point which also applies to costal areas during hurricane season.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I will never run out of gas, again. That applies to my car and my helicopter.
How many pounds of fuel are left in your car? ;)

Last edited:

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We normally fill each vehicle when it reaches 1/2 of a tank. Part of our preparedness. Also each vehicle has 2 back packs ready to go. We live in Salem Oregon.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
I had trouble getting Cliff out the door to be on time for clients. Frosted my behind that 15 minutes before it was time to play cards with our old neighbors (a 10 minute drive), he'd be all antsy and why don't I have my jacket on. Clients he let wait, but he can't be late for cards. SMH.

The man has his priorities right! :D

giphy.gif

Faith, I am recalling your reaction to a salesman in a previous thread! Something about Go With God if I recall..... o_O:D

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Now back to the topic, I will let my Honda Fit go below the 0 miles indicator because I have a good feel for the number of miles I can go past that point despite all of the gas tank indication lights disappearing. It also helps that I drive a standard and in a pinch, I can massage some extra miles out of a tank when needed. I don't prefer to do this, but I am comfortable doing this when I must.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Cliff went for a motorized blind class in the San Francisco area when we still had our Chevy Venture. I loved that car because we could drive to Sedona or San Francisco without stopping for gas. I still think fondly of it every time we stop with the Ford Escape midway on our excursions. Anyway, since I wasn't with him he drove the Venture round trip to SF and back just to see if he could. He must have been running on fumes by the time he got back to our local gas station, but he did it.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We fuel at the neighborhood Kroger once a month because we get 10 cents discount per gallon for every $100 we spend at the store. Generally ~$.40 off. So we (OK I) full both vehicles and 2 gas cans- or 35 gallons. This month the final cost was $2.45. That keeps my truck in gas for the month, and the wife's plug-in uses no gas at all unless we take a trip. Unfortunately, it seldom makes it to our second home and back without a gallon of two of supplemental gas. That's 260 miles on 7 gallons. Still, a couple weeks of staying in town (using electricity) and the overall average comes in around 70 mpg.

Jim