• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is there a benefit to joining RCI too?

mindy35

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I know that Vistana covers the cost of II membership and makes the deposit of a week incredibly easy. All these years of experimenting with and depositing for trades in Interval, I've always wondered if the inventory and process is any better at the competing company?

Is the process more transparent? Are the fees similar? Does RCI have associations with higher caliber properties?

I am finding it hard to find enough resorts and units that of similar quality to our Westin Villa and wonder whether the inventory that can be found on RCI would be worth the difference of the membership fee?

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Go to RCI.com see if your resort is listed. Then do your own membership. Our membership is not attached to a resort. It was always our independent membership. We have added and subtracted resorts from our RCI account. We have one timeshare in our RCI account. Overall I prefer RCI to II been member of both.
Silentg

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
In general, no:

1) Most Vistana resorts are not affiliated with RCI - just some of the older ones that affiliated before they were Starwood resorts.

2) You have to pay a high membership fee every year, whether you exchange or not, so you don't want to join RCI, unless you are actually going to use RCI right away. You will probably have to join for 2 years, because your membership must extend until after the exchange occupancy date.

3) In general, RCI has more resorts, but II has more of the top resorts because they have Hyatt, Vistana and Marriott. RCI has Hilton and DVC.

4) With II you have priority for exchanges with other Vistana resorts. You have no priority with RCI.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
The sad news is you really won't know before-the-fact.

I'm sensing some frustration/disappointment with II, and you will have that with RCI, too.

It is what it is.
- - - - -
Not that it matters, but we are something like 165 with RCI and 6 with II.

jhac007

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ko Olina BC, Waioha BC, Crystal Shores (2 Gold), Kierland (Gold Plus), Ocean Pointe, Eagle's Nest, Vistana BC, Villas at Doral, Mizner Place, Windward Pointe, Star Island
I think once you read DeniseM's reply and with what knowledge you have, your (quality) question has been answered. If you are finding it hard to get quality trades in II (not sure why you aren't with a Westin) then I don't believe you will be happy with RCI. There are recent posts about how Disney units have not been readily available to trade or at least not quantity. Some one else can comment about Hilton availability because I let RCI go. However, in II with my Marriotts, Westin, Hyatt and other brands I find trading for better unit quality in still pretty decent. What Westin do you own and what times do you like to travel? (Just wondering)

Jim

schenriq

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got tired of asking (aka begging and waiting) for a 2-for-1 II membership break so as of 2017, RCI is the preferred destination of our SDO/SBP voluntary weeks and it seems to actually work for us. Notice I didn't say better. It's just another great option in the sense that I can stretch the TPUs I earn from our SBP deposit (into multiple 1BR vacations-es [sic]) so much that I ended up renting the SDO week instead for a little profit. So that's one benefit of exchanging with RCI. The other is more international choices (vs II) esp. in east Asia which is a must-have destination for my family.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I have a "free" RCI account by virtue of owning Wyndham points, ie. it's part of our "program fee". I told II about this but that II membership break stayed elusive. Guess who's smiling now.

schenriq

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anticipating the reply of II fans about getting 2 (or more?) weeks for a single II deposit by using AC certificates, my experience is that those ACs are pretty worthless because of the (extreme) limits put by II on (a) search region and (b) time window of availability.

To be fair, by virtue of increased TPU point requirement on some locations (HI for instance), RCI also has a systematic limit on stretching TPUs into multiple vacations.

Just sharing my own exchange experiences. YMMV.

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I know that Vistana covers the cost of II membership and makes the deposit of a week incredibly easy. All these years of experimenting with and depositing for trades in Interval, I've always wondered if the inventory and process is any better at the competing company?

Is the process more transparent? Are the fees similar? Does RCI have associations with higher caliber properties?

I am finding it hard to find enough resorts and units that of similar quality to our Westin Villa and wonder whether the inventory that can be found on RCI would be worth the difference of the membership fee?
If you are a VSN member (points with Vistana), you do not have the option to join RCI. Vistana covers you II membership and will not verify you ownership with RCI even if you had one of the few that exchange through RCI. Non VSN (no points -just deed weeks) owners at dual affiliated resorts have the option of RCI or II or both.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

Are you putting in ongoing searches with II, well in advance, or do you only search the online inventory? Ongoing searches are filled first, so if you only search the online inventory, you only see the "leftovers."

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
There are recent posts about how Disney units have not been readily available to trade or at least not quantity.

Back in the day, I searched RCI every day, sometimes several times a day, and was able to see anything/everything anyone could.

I saw a few Disneys when it was first made available, but none since, or now.

The only benefit we get from RCI any more is EVs and LCs, which I get for other people, and which is the best value of anything we have ever done with RCI.

Relation No: 00165

Last edited:

zinger1457

Reaction score
I've gotten some excellent trades depositing my small 1-BR WKV unit in II (Marriott Newport Coast, Four Seasons Aviara, Highlands Inn Carmel, Manhattan Club, etc.). The key is flexibility, the wider the date range you're willing to accept the better your chances are. If you're requesting a specific week the chances of getting a popular resort are very slim.