• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Verizon phone for 3day stay in Canada

Joyce

TUG Member
Reaction score
Visiting Quebec City for 3 days. What do I have to do with my phone to use it for directions. Will my car navigation work? How about Waze? Visiting and staying at Chateau Frontenac which I admired from afar when I visited the City with my parents about 60 years ago. I am fulfilling a promise made to myself when I wa a teenager. Any comments about the chateau?

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would start by calling my cell-phone provider and asking what they offer. Is yours Verizon? I have Verizon prepaid. I haven't been to Quebec, but in Ontario, I was able to pay an additional small fee per day for access through Verizon. It was about $5 or $10 per day and the fee kicked in only if I used 4G on that day. If you have regular Verizon, it might be a different plan.

My husband's phone is on T-Mobile and his is free in Canada.

In the UK, I bought a sim card at a newsagent and used that. But for just three days in Canada, it's probably easier to just pay the fee to Verizon.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have a great time in Quebec City, btw! It always looks so beautiful and exotic.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We have Verizon. They have a travel plan that you can sign up for and you are only charged when you use it. I think it is about $5.00 per day per phone. When we used data we tried to make sure we logged on to a free wifi network somewhere.

You asked if your car navigation would work. Are you using navigation through your phone?

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Plan cost us nothing extra for Mexico/Canada but had to do what VERIZON said to set on phone. Now the phone is set up. In Europe it cost us $10 extra for each day we used Internet.

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Visiting Quebec City for 3 days. What do I have to do with my phone to use it for directions. Will my car navigation work? How about Waze? Visiting and staying at Chateau Frontenac which I admired from afar when I visited the City with my parents about 60 years ago. I am fulfilling a promise made to myself when I wa a teenager. Any comments about the chateau?
I forgot to say we were near Quebec City at a timeshare for 4 days. Loved driving into the countryside and the falls their was unreal. Nicest people in the countryside we've ever met. A beautiful area.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I looked to see what we have. The plan is called Travel Pass. Verizon, on their site, also has an international trip planner so you can pick which plan works best for you.

Joyce

TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess the best thing to do is visit a Verizon store. Luanne, we do use Navigation thru Verizon so I guess I will ask about that too. Thanks, everyone for your help.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
If you have unlimited plan, Canada and mexico are included in the plan. If you have a different plan, then the answer may be different.

I have family in Canada and that is why I keep my verizon unlimited plan. Calling Canada is included and traveling to Canada is include in both Data and Minutes.

JudyH

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have the 2 GB per month plan with Verizon. Call them and have the Travel Plan added to your phone. That costs nothing. Then in Canada when you turn your phone on or take it out of airplane mode you will get a text message that asks you if you want international calling for a 24 hour period for 5 or 10$ per day. If you say yes you just use your phone as you would in USA. Same calling. Same data plan. If WAZE doesn’t work just use google maps and navigation. Use local WIFi if you don’t want to use much data. Each 24 hours you will get a text message and you and pick yes or no. Very easy. I use data all the time and never use up my two GB.

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you use Goggle Maps, you can down the map for the area you want and use it that way. I recently did that in Upper Michigan where the Verizon Network was that good.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I have the 2 GB per month plan with Verizon. Call them and have the Travel Plan added to your phone.
You don't have to call, you can do it yourself online.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
I have the 2 GB per month plan with Verizon. Call them and have the Travel Plan added to your phone. That costs nothing. Then in Canada when you turn your phone on or take it out of airplane mode you will get a text message that asks you if you want international calling for a 24 hour period for 5 or 10$ per day. If you say yes you just use your phone as you would in USA. Same calling. Same data plan. If WAZE doesn’t work just use google maps and navigation. Use local WIFi if you don’t want to use much data. Each 24 hours you will get a text message and you and pick yes or no. Very easy. I use data all the time and never use up my two GB.

A bit off topic but ...... if you still have a measured data plan with Verizon, you owe it to yourself to consider their unlimited plans. You might find your can move to UNLIMITED data for less money per month AND have coverage in Canada and Mexico included for free. Before a trip to Canada last year, I checked out out options and moved to an unlimited plan that accomplished all of the goals you noted above.

At the time we had 4 lines on our plan (which might have helped us get a lower rate too)....

Of course, YEMV - but it is worth investigating.

Best of luck.

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
A bit off topic but ...... if you still have a measured data plan with Verizon, you owe it to yourself to consider their unlimited plans. You might find your can move to UNLIMITED data for less money per month AND have coverage in Canada and Mexico included for free. Before a trip to Canada last year, I checked out out options and moved to an unlimited plan that accomplished all of the goals you noted above.

At the time we had 4 lines on our plan (which might have helped us get a lower rate too)....

Of course, YEMV - but it is worth investigating.

Best of luck.
We did the same last year some time. Logged onto our My Verizon account to check out-of-country coverage for an upcoming trip, and on a whim clicked an "Offers" link, figuring it would be enticements to upgrade to newer phones. We were offered a seniors plan called, I think, "55+" that is as you described. In our case we had two lines and 6GB of shared data -- our monthly cost stayed the same but gave us unlimited data and extended our domestic calling area to include Canada and Mexico. They did caution that with this plan our data transfer rate can be subject to limitations during periods when their net is congested, but we haven't found this to be a problem so far.