• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

'Group' Owner's Update/Sales Presentation

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
So, got 'the call' from the Orlando Sales Center for our upcoming trip with the customary invite to attend an 'owner's update'. For me, the new wrinkle is that it is no longer a 1:1, but now a 75 minute 'group presentation' that you are free to stay after for 1:1 if interested further. Otherwise, you are free to leave with the masses. Hmm, I thought I had heard something about this as coming in the future, which I guess may be now? Anyone else done one of the 'group sessions'?

Oh, and for incentives the choices were 300 DPs (good for 2 years), 30,000 MRPs, or a $250 Prepaid Amex card. Well, faster than DW can scream 'which way to the outlets', our path was set. Thanks, Amex ... :doh:

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, got 'the call' from the Orlando Sales Center for our upcoming trip with the customary invite to attend an 'owner's update'. For me, the new wrinkle is that it is no longer a 1:1, but now a 75 minute 'group presentation' that you are free to stay after for 1:1 if interested further. Otherwise, you are free to leave with the masses. Hmm, I thought I had heard something about this as coming in the future, which I guess may be now? Anyone else done one of the 'group sessions'?

Oh, and for incentives the choices were 300 DPs (good for 2 years), 30,000 MRPs, or a $250 Prepaid Amex card. Well, faster than DW can scream 'which way to the outlets', our path was set. Thanks, Amex ... :doh:

I actually think this is a good idea.

Now the question is: Is this being done because the economy is booming and the sales positions are difficult to fill? Or is it being done to help eliminate the "high pressure" sales tactics?

Will be interesting to see how this plays out over time, and if it is expanded to other sale centers.....

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
That’s the format that the Custom House in Boston has been using for years. Interesting to see if this becomes the new norm.

elleryjean

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just went to two presentations. Each one was different in what they offered, but it was either DP points, Bonvoy points or cash. At the last one, heard a new level is coming soon...Ambassador level and you will need 20,000 DP to qualify. They may grandfather Chairman's Level but you need at least 15,000. I got a great offer to bring in my week and purchase DP points in the $10 range....but passed

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

So you receive the incentive just for attending the ‘group presentation’?
What incentive would there then be for continuing with a 1:1 session afterwards?

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
At 1 time Wyndham went to the Group Presentations with WMTC. But then some one like me would call "BS" on things they would say. It did not help that the Presenter only knew their prepared talk and less about the Product than the Group.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So you receive the incentive just for attending the ‘group presentation’?
What incentive would there then be for continuing with a 1:1 session afterwards?

There was no mention of any further incentive to stay. I guess their position is that by that point, you are only there because you likely want to purchase something so no additional incentive is needed.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
At 1 time Wyndham went to the Group Presentations with WMTC. But then some one like me would call "BS" on things they would say. It did not help that the Presenter only knew their prepared talk and less about the Product than the Group.

DW and I sat through a Wyndham group presentation in MB several years ago. I actually thought it was more painful that any Marriott 1:1 we have done. If the Marriott presentation in Orlando is anything like that Wyndham one, we may have met our last presentation.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
As I recall in Boston (its been awhile since I did the group presentation there), they offered 25K points to attend the group, and another 10K to attend the 1 on 1. Only time will tell how they modify things in Orlando as they see what works and what doesn't.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just went to two presentations. Each one was different in what they offered, but it was either DP points, Bonvoy points or cash. At the last one, heard a new level is coming soon...Ambassador level and you will need 20,000 DP to qualify. They may grandfather Chairman's Level but you need at least 15,000. I got a great offer to bring in my week and purchase DP points in the $10 range....but passed

We have heard the same rumblings of another top level coming as well, but had not heard of the potential Ambassador title (which would be really confusing since that is also the name of the highest Marriott hotel loyalty tier which requires an annual spend in the $20k range to obtain/maintain). An MVCI Ambassador level (even with 20k DPs required) would not produce the same amount of annual spend in maintenance fees (until MFs hit $1 per point).

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We attended the owners' update at Newport Coast in end of May and the salesperson said in the forseeable future they will be moving to a group presentation format so that there is no high pressure sales technique and also that salespeople will no longer work on commission.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have heard the same rumblings of another top level coming as well, but had not heard of the potential Ambassador title (which would be really confusing since that is also the name of the highest Marriott hotel loyalty tier which requires an annual spend in the $20k range to obtain/maintain). An MVCI Ambassador level (even with 20k DPs required) would not produce the same amount of annual spend in maintenance fees (until MFs hit $1 per point).
(until MFs hit $1 per point) - don‘t tempt them!

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts: Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Shadow Ridge

When a new level is introduced, do they add additional benefits and retain the benefits available under the new 'lower' level? In other words, would the current Chairmen level folks retain their benefits or would they have to purchase add'l points to maintain same benefits?

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
When a new level is introduced, do they add additional benefits and retain the benefits available under the new 'lower' level? In other words, would the current Chairmen level folks retain their benefits or would they have to purchase add'l points to maintain same benefits?
With past changes, these benefits have been maintained.

californiagirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
The only group presentation we’ve ever attended was Shell in Kauai back in 2003. It was like a parody of everything that is wrong with Timeshares and their presentations. I had talked my husband into going so we would get half-off of a helicopter tour. Mid-way through the presentation my husband leaned over to me and said “You owe me big time!” I had to agree with him...lol!! It was so painful. That was the last timeshare presentation we have ever attended together.