• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Garza Blanca Preserve Residence

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
We have an exchange into a 2BR Garza Blanca Preserve Residence in Puerto Vallarta for February 2020. I have had an ongoing search for that property with DVC points for about a year and the match showed up yesterday. I was surprised we got a 2BR during high season with 10 months notice! The photos look amazing. I had a friend highly recommend it and since then, I have wanted to stay there. The Puerto Vallarta region is one of my favorite parts of Mexico.

I noticed online it says the Residence is an all inclusive. Does anyone know if the AIC is part of the exchange or if it is mandatory? I do not see anything about that on my exchange confirmation. Has anyone stayed at this property and can provide any general feedback on it?

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
We have an exchange into a 2BR Garza Blanca Preserve Residence in Puerto Vallarta for February 2020. I have had an ongoing search for that property with DVC points for about a year and the match showed up yesterday. I was surprised we got a 2BR during high season with 10 months notice! The photos look amazing. I had a friend highly recommend it and since then, I have wanted to stay there. The Puerto Vallarta region is one of my favorite parts of Mexico.

I noticed online it says the Residence is an all inclusive. Does anyone know if the AIC is part of the exchange or if it is mandatory? I do not see anything about that on my exchange confirmation. Has anyone stayed at this property and can provide any general feedback on it?
What exchange company did you use?

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
What exchange company did you use?

RCI. As a DVC member, I have access to the World Collection, which is the Registry Collection. Garza Blanca is the only resort I have ever done an OGS for. I feel so lucky to have gotten it since it is never available and esp not the 2BRs at the residence club.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
RCI. As a DVC member, I have access to the World Collection, which is the Registry Collection. Garza Blanca is the only resort I have ever done an OGS for. I feel so lucky to have gotten it since it is never available and esp not the 2BRs at the residence club.
Sounds like a great trade. I am sure that you have already looked, but usually the AI is stated in the documentation, so if it is silent, I would assume that it is optional - but of course you will need to verify. In my experience it is never included in the exchange, but always noted separately.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Most DVC members on TUG think all DVC exchanges are a bad use of points but I think this exchange is an excellent one. Garza Blanca is very expensive esp the 2BR residences. But I won’t mention this exchange on TUG’s DVC forum, LOL, or I will get beat up for it. :crash: They always recommend selling your points and buying the vacation cash. I see the point but this was a nice surprise to get without having to do any work.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
In RCI all I see are the typical fee's for Garza Blanca. AI not required. Lucky you on the two bed unit !!!

Bill

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Urgent Information
  • Mandatory fees
  • Mandatory Tourist Tax is 24.50 U.S. dollars. Cash or Credit is accepted.
    • Fee is per week.
  • Mandatory State Lodging tax is 3 %. Cash or Credit is accepted.
  • Policy Restrictions
  • Based on unit maximum occupancy
  • 1 in 4 rule applies.
  • No Pets. Please contact the resort directly regarding its ADA/general service animal policy.
  • Other Information
  • Resort applies a mandatory Gratuity fee of US$3.50 per day. The resort has a one in four year rule. No exceptions. Violations to this policy will be cancelled. The resort does not have handicapped accessible units.
  • This resort is affiliated to Signature Selections and The Registry Collection.
  • Reservations confirmed less than 48 hours prior to the check in date must be notified to Claudia Gonzalez at cgonzalezc@villagroup.com, Iris Luna at iris.luna@villagroup.com and copy Santiago Mayorga at
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I did not realize this resort has a 1 in 4 rule. I guess I did get lucky esp for a 2 br Residence club unit in February. These units are over 3000 sf. I think they may all have ocean views In the Residence towers from what I can see so far in my research. I am very excited.

belor

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC
TravelTime:

Out of interest, what did you trade to get this? We own points at DVC BLT and have searched for Cancun once, specifically Royal Haciendas, and (IIRC) the trade was around 150 points for a 1 bedroom Royal Haciendas Suite + we would have had to purchase A/I, versus renting from an owner, which should be around $900 and no A/I, so stopped looking.

We have stayed at Garza Blanza PV - not the Residences, but a 2 bedroom in the original section - was beautiful - the unit was oceanfront and I think built right into the rock at surfline, so couldn't ask for nicer - the Residences are up the hill a bit, but you will have a fantastic view, you will have a great time.

-john-

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
TravelTime:

Out of interest, what did you trade to get this? We own points at DVC BLT and have searched for Cancun once, specifically Royal Haciendas, and (IIRC) the trade was around 150 points for a 1 bedroom Royal Haciendas Suite + we would have had to purchase A/I, versus renting from an owner, which should be around $900 and no A/I, so stopped looking.

We have stayed at Garza Blanza PV - not the Residences, but a 2 bedroom in the original section - was beautiful - the unit was oceanfront and I think built right into the rock at surfline, so couldn't ask for nicer - the Residences are up the hill a bit, but you will have a fantastic view, you will have a great time.

-john-

I did not make a specific trade. I just put in an ongoing search and I guess it matched. Then RCI/DVC deducted the points from a bunch of my contracts. I think it took points from 4 contracts based on using the points that would expire soonest. I am super excited about Garza Blanca because from what I have heard, it is a class act and has outstanding service. I live for ocean views!

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

I haven't exchanged into Garza but I am an owner there. There is no mandatory all inclusive but you can add it on with I believe a 3 day consecutive minimum. All the units at Garza have either a beachfront or panoramic beach/mountain view. There is not one unit there that has a bad view :). Was the RCI code C681 - those are the original buildings by the beach. If it is a different resort code, then I can bet that you will get the mountain residences which are phenomenal. That is awesome trade. Enjoy!!

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are in a 2BR residence so I think they all have ocean view, We are excited! I have been trying to exchange in for 2 years

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I could rent my DVC points for $15 PP and get $4500 for 300 points. If I can rent the 2BR ocean view residence for less than $514 per night ($643 per night including tax) to be worth it from a break even perspective. However I am not including my time. I am guessing this is a fair trade. What do you think?

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are in a 2BR residence so I think they all have ocean view, We are excited! I have been trying to exchange in for 2 years

All the units at Garza have an ocean view. The variable is how expansive the view.

You will be assigned one of these 2BR units.

Beachfront - Original section (all oceanfront views)
https://puertovallarta.garzablancaresort.com/suites/two-bedroom-suite

OR

Mountain side (newer villas) with panoramic views of the ocean and mountain
https://puertovallarta.garzablancaresort.com/suites/two-bedroom-panorama-suite

You certainly did get a fair trade even more so that it is a February week which is prime season for whale watching in PV. The 2BR are usually in the registry collection (not RCI)

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All the units at Garza have an ocean view. The variable is how expansive the view.

You will be assigned one of these 2BR units.

Beachfront - Original section (all oceanfront views)
https://puertovallarta.garzablancaresort.com/suites/two-bedroom-suite

OR

Mountain side (newer villas) with panoramic views of the ocean and mountain
https://puertovallarta.garzablancaresort.com/suites/two-bedroom-panorama-suite

You certainly did get a fair trade even more so that it is a February week which is prime season for whale watching in PV. The 2BR are usually in the registry collection (not RCI)

I got the exchange through the Registry in RCI. I need to look up the code. If it is beachfront, it is more valuable but I am sure both views are great.

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I got the exchange through the Registry in RCI. I need to look up the code. If it is beachfront, it is more valuable but I am sure both views are great.

Beachfront is actually less valuable from a points owner booking. Although they are beachfront, the units are smaller and not as modern.
You can't go wrong with either.

Quimby4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV II
Riviera Beach Spa Resort (deed back 2018)
I haven't exchanged into Garza but I am an owner there. There is no mandatory all inclusive but you can add it on with I believe a 3 day consecutive minimum. All the units at Garza have either a beachfront or panoramic beach/mountain view. There is not one unit there that has a bad view :). Was the RCI code C681 - those are the original buildings by the beach. If it is a different resort code, then I can bet that you will get the mountain residences which are phenomenal. That is awesome trade. Enjoy!!
Any idea how much AI is GB? It is on my list. :)

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Any idea how much AI is GB? It is on my list. :)

$115 per person per night for AI that doesn't include Hotel Mousai venues $150 if you want to include the dining at Hotel Mousai. I assume these are the same rates for exchangers. I have only stayed in GB using my ownership

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
$115 per person per night for AI that doesn't include Hotel Mousai venues $150 if you want to include the dining at Hotel Mousai. I assume these are the same rates for exchangers. I have only stayed in GB using my ownership

Just out of curiosity, how is ownership structured at Garzas Blanca? If you can share, what is the range of upfront costs and MFs per year? Besides RCI and the sister resorts on Garza Blanca, where else can you use your membership? I have been interested in Garzas Blanca but resisted bc they onlyhave a few equivalent resorts to exchange with.

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, how is ownership structured at Garzas Blanca? If you can share, what is the range of upfront costs and MFs per year? Besides RCI and the sister resorts on Garza Blanca, where else can you use your membership? I have been interested in Garzas Blanca but resisted bc they onlyhave a few equivalent resorts to exchange with.

It is a point based system. You purchase a unit size and season that is equivalent to xxx points. The MF per point is the same even regardless of the unit size and season you purchase. For 2019, it's .453 cent per point. I have studio mountain winter that is 1,828 and MF was $828. You can get some really good values outside of winter and holiday season. Here's the points chart

https://www.garzablancaresidenceclub.com/members/points-plan

With GB, you can exchange into Villa del Palmar Cancun (not the other Villa Group resorts) and other GB properties. They just opened Cabo. Supposedly Cancun and Riviera Maya is next. Excited for Riviera Maya but who knows when that will be.

I know they are also selling quarter shares and full ownership residences now as well but that's a different system.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It is a point based system. You purchase a unit size and season that is equivalent to xxx points. The MF per point is the same even regardless of the unit size and season you purchase. For 2019, it's .453 cent per point. I have studio mountain winter that is 1,828 and MF was $828. You can get some really good values outside of winter and holiday season. Here's the points chart

https://www.garzablancaresidenceclub.com/members/points-plan

With GB, you can exchange into Villa del Palmar Cancun (not the other Villa Group resorts) and other GB properties. They just opened Cabo. Supposedly Cancun and Riviera Maya is next. Excited for Riviera Maya but who knows when that will be.

I know they are also selling quarter shares and full ownership residences now as well but that's a different system.

Thanks for the info. This sounds like a good plan.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is what it says on RCI. Which building is C689?

Garza Blanca Preserve Residence (#C689)
Unit Type: 2 Bedrooms

Maximum Occupancy:6

Transaction Date: 18-Apr-2019

Travel Dates: 08-Feb-2020 - 15-Feb-2020