• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Portable (Personal) Bluetooth Speakers

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
I know we range far and wide on the topics here in the lounge so I thought I'd stretch us a bit further. Question: does anyone have a positive recommendation about a personal speaker that connects with their phone via bluetooth but does NOT charge via a flimsy plug in?

I've tried a couple of low end portable speakers that sound pretty good, but both suffered from a charging failure after a bit of use. The micro USB plug in port on the speaker was (is) so cheap that it fails to make a proper connection after a few month of uses.

I'd like to find a decent portable speaker that does NOT depend on a flimsy port - anyone have any suggestions?

For the record, I have tried Blackweb speakers to date and both of them eventually suffered the same fate....

Last edited:

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
I know we range far and wide on the topics here in the lounge so I thought I'd stretch us a bit further. Question: does anyone have a positive recommendation about a personal speaker that connects with their phone via bluetooth but does NOT change via a flimsy plug in?

I've tried a couple of low end portable speakers that sound pretty good, but both suffered from a charging failure after a bit of use. The micro USB plug in port on the speaker was (is) so cheap that it fails to make a proper connection after a few month of uses.

I'd like to find a decent portable speaker that does NOT depend on a flimsy port - anyone have any suggestions?

For the record, I have tried Blackweb speakers to date and both of them eventually suffered the same fate....

We have an OontZ Angle3 that we use on vacation and recently my husband has confiscated it for playing in a van he drives for a part-time job sometimes. This is a Bluetooth and has good sound - he can connect his phone to it easily. It also has a built-in microphone and can say Hey Siri and who to call. It has a decent charging cord - we use our Kindle one (micro-USB) when on vacation with no problems. It is not very expensive - I think I paid about $25 for this one. Keeps a charge for at least 20 hours.

I also have a Bose Bluetooth speaker that I use with my daily laptop and phone in my home office. It is nice, but pricey.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
I got an EcoStone from Ecoxgear several years ago and it still works like a champ. That model isn't available anymore, but they have a nice variety depending on what you want to spend.

https://www.westmarine.com/ecoxgear

Chrispee

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have a Bose Sound Link Color which has decent sound and is very durable/portable for travel. We also have a Klipsch The One for the house and patio. It’s beautifully crafted with wood and metal, and sounds great for its size.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
I have the Bose Mini Soundlink that I use twice daily and toss in the suitcase when traveling. I have no desire to trade it in for another.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
One of the key points of importance to me is how do your personal favorite / suggested speakers recharge?

My problems have been with a speaker manufacturer using a cheap mini USB connection for recharge purposes.
To those of you who have answered this thread thus far (thank you!) but how would you rate the recharge plug / port? Is it solid and durable or do you have to be careful with it?

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
My husband enjoys his bluetooth Goal Zero with solar charging.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
The Bose Soundlink Mini has a charging platform that has a mini USB in the back. I keep the platform plugged in all the time on my desk. The speaker can charge on the platform or with the USB. The Bose is fairly heavy.

upload_2019-6-24_17-12-8.jpeg

The OontZ Angle 3 has a Micro USB that plugs in on one of the edges. Hubs has ours in his work truck, so I took a picture of the instruction sheet. The OontZ is not nearly as heavy as the Bose.

You can see this model on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Enhanced-Splashproof-Portable-Bluetooth-Radiator/dp/B010OYASRG/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3MZ9OASDBBRES&keywords=oontz+angle+3+portable+bluetooth+speaker&qid=1561422913&s=gateway&sprefix=OontZ,aps,318&sr=8-4

upload_2019-6-24_17-29-34.png

Last edited:

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
I think the OontZ Angle 3 has great sound quality, the battery stays charged a long time, and the USB connector seems very sturdy. The only complaint of heard is that the sound is rather directional. That's okay with me because I use it when I listen to music, not for group listening.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Have you look at the Echo tap. It comes with a base that is a charger. So not only do you have Alexa if you want but it also just functions as a bluetooth speaker. It is discontinued but you might be able to pick up a cheaper refurbed on. It just sits atop the plate to charge. It comes with the plate, I just thought I would show you a picture.

s-l640.jpg

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
I'm using a JBL Charge 3 wireless speaker. And like most of the others, it uses a micro USB for charging. So it is potentially a weak point. I suppose if the connector craps out (and it is on speaker end rather than the cable or the charger end), that I'll attempt to repair it. Alternatively, I could either rewire the charging wiring to the unused (for me) USB (output) connector or add a small power jack. But I am comfortable doing things like that.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
One of the key points of importance to me is how do your personal favorite / suggested speakers recharge?

My problems have been with a speaker manufacturer using a cheap mini USB connection for recharge purposes.
To those of you who have answered this thread thus far (thank you!) but how would you rate the recharge plug / port? Is it solid and durable or do you have to be careful with it?

The Mini SL Bose sits on a recharging cradle. I've had it for years and have had no problem. There is a newer model but reviewers seem to agree that the sound is not as good.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
I have a JBL Flip 4 that I bought for vacation because a friend had a Flip 3 that sounded great and this one is water proof. I never gave the charging cord a second thought until I read this thread. I've had it 2 years and never had a problem. The cord looks similar to the one pictured above by Pittle. The rubber connected to the business ends are very sturdy. I highly recommend this speaker

I bought it on Amazon for around $75.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
I also use Oontz Angle (not version 3 though...I've had it a few years, I think I have version 2.) Great sound for my needs and reasonably priced.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
I have a JBL Clip (2, I think) that I’ve used in my hangar for a couple of years. Not had a problem with the Charge port and it has good sound for such a small unit.

Cheers

Carta

TUG Member
Reaction score
csxjohn, I also have Flip4 for about 2 years....Sound is Great...My problem is: It won't hold a charge very long...Even while connecting USB directly to power source...Talked to people online and they say there's a glitch....I'm pissed

Carta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Flip4 doesn't have a glitch...Just found that I need to replace battery...Never knew there was a replaceable battery til now..

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
Flip4 doesn't have a glitch...Just found that I need to replace battery...Never knew there was a replaceable battery til now..
At least it's replaceable.