• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What is considered high blood pressure has been tightened.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just curious how many know of this change.

"The previous guidelines set the threshold at 140/90 mm Hg for people younger than age 65 and 150/80 mm Hg for those ages 65 and older. This means 70% to 79% of men ages 55 and older are now classified as having hypertension. That includes many men whose blood pressure had previously been considered healthy."

https://www.health.harvard.edu/heart-health/reading-the-new-blood-pressure-guidelines

The definition for what is considered high blood pressure has been tightened. Here's what you need to know.

Any thoughts?
It seems even medical professionals can't agree on this.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I thought it was even lower 130/80. With meds I keep mine about 120/70, I have AFib so I have to keep a close eye on hr also.

140 or even 150 sounds way too high for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Previous guidelines were 140/90 for those over 55 I believe. They have reduced those numbers to 120/80 for everyone. There are no factors in place for age. This is, for lack of a better term, a one size fits all approach to blood pressure.

I don't know if that thinking works though.

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
The article is from April 2018, not that that matters. One good thing is that they tell you how to take your blood pressure. This is actually part of the standard, because saying "120/80" doesn't take into account your recent activity. I find that having my wrist monitor at heart level is pretty important -- I can get at least 15 mm high or low if it isn't.

Another thing even my cardiologist had no answer to is "What is an acceptable blood pressure if you run in from the parking lot because it's raining, and run up two flights of stairs to your office? And how long should it take to return to baseline?" Turns out, no one really knows the answer to the first part -- too hard to measure and document, I suppose. The answer to the second part is that 90% of people will return to baseline within 7 minutes.

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
They keep changing everything like this. Cholesterol is one example. I diet and exercise to stay in the limits then they lower the limits. I finally surrendered when I had to get both knees replaced. Pre op exam had a problem with my EKG so had to to to a cardiologist. He asked me to take a calcium screening because of family history and I agreed knowing I was setting myself up for bad news.

Yep, showed high levels so when the first knee was done I let him put me on atorvostatin to help control the cholesterol.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would imagine that the pharmaceutical industry is cheering this update.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Why did the pharmaceutical cross the road?.....

To get to the other side - effect.

-- courtesy of Alexa

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I would imagine that the pharmaceutical industry is cheering this update.
Wonder if we dig, if the pharmaceutical industry somehow paid for / sponsored the clinical trials that were used to change the guidelines.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wonder if we dig, if the pharmaceutical industry somehow paid for / sponsored the clinical trials that were used to change the guidelines.

Could very well be.

The JNC-8 which is, America's Joint National Committee on the prevention, detection, evaluation, and treatment of high blood pressure, disagreed with this study's findings and maintains a different standard in defining hypertension.

It seems that even the "experts" in this field can't agree.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Just curious how many know of this change.

"The previous guidelines set the threshold at 140/90 mm Hg for people younger than age 65 and 150/80 mm Hg for those ages 65 and older. This means 70% to 79% of men ages 55 and older are now classified as having hypertension. That includes many men whose blood pressure had previously been considered healthy."

https://www.health.harvard.edu/heart-health/reading-the-new-blood-pressure-guidelines

The definition for what is considered high blood pressure has been tightened. Here's what you need to know.

Any thoughts?
It seems even medical professionals can't agree on this.

Interesting. I didn't see anything about the low end of blood pressure. I was told that 90/60 was the low end of normal.

Bill

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I didn't see anything about the low end of blood pressure. I was told that 90/60 was the low end of normal.

Bill

Like me, many may not be aware of the change in guidelines until their next visit to their GP and having it be suggested they begin medication. I went from Pre-Hypertension to Stage 1 Hypertension with the same readings as the last visit 6 months ago.

These are now the two guidelines in determining hypertension.