• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI Resort Near Marriott Newport Coast

donnaval

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I made an II exchange into Marriott Newport Coast. It's a bit of a trip from the East coast so I'd like to turn this into a two-week timeshare stay but I don't have any other II weeks at the moment so II resorts are out. I have a boatload of RCI TPUs though and really need to use up some of them. I have zero knowledge of California geography, so could someone recommend RCI timeshares within an hour or so of Newport Coast. I'd prefer to stay away from the L.A. area. Any info appreciated!

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Try the properties in Anaheim. You could also look into San Clemente, or even as far south as Oceanside, Solana Beach or Carlsbad. You can start your search in RCI by looking for Southern California Coast.

What time of year is your exchange?

Last edited:

donnaval

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Luanne - late October. I really appreciate the info!

melissy123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Palm Springs. A litttle bit further than what you mentioned, but all of the areas listed above would be a daytrip from Newport Coast Villas.

talkamotta

TUG Member
Reaction score
I love Welk in Escondido, its close enough to San Deigo and Carlsbad. You will do a little bit of driving but you will get to see the area. The resort is nice enough to hang out there, too.

hjtug

TUG Member
Reaction score
I love Welk in Escondido, its close enough to San Deigo and Carlsbad. You will do a little bit of driving but you will get to see the area. The resort is nice enough to hang out there, too.
We, too, have enjoyed Welk for many years. Unfortunately we haven't been able to get in there lately since it started phasing out II.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
We, too, have enjoyed Welk for many years. Unfortunately we haven't been able to get in there lately since it started phasing out II.
And it looks like they may get the 1-in-4 rule added to the resort.

Quimby4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV II
Riviera Beach Spa Resort (deed back 2018)
Is Welk moving to RCI? Very limited II inventory recently :(

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
With such a limited window -- week before, or week after your Newport Coast wewk -- I'd say to just be happy with whatever you are able to pick up through RCI. While writing this, I am thinking I'd do the RCI exchange week before Newport. Otherwise, just about anything would be a disappointment.

talkamotta

TUG Member
Reaction score
And it looks like they may get the 1-in-4 rule added to the resort.
They have added the 1 in 4 rule. I loved going there in January and February to get out of the cold and next year I had to pick another resort. I hope the resort I picked is as nice as Welk.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
The Grand Pacific properties are all very nice. I would equate them to most of the nicer resorts. Marriott's Newport Coast is exceptional.

donnaval

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone - I got the Worldmark Mission Valley in San Diego for the week before Newport Coast.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Good for you! That should be nice. Be sure to write a review. I noticed so few reviews for WorldMark properties. Kind of odd.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone - I got the Worldmark Mission Valley in San Diego for the week before Newport Coast.
Perfect!
You can use this location to explore -- Balboa Park, Coronado Island, North as far as San Juan Capistrano. I would imagine a day trip each day. Not thinking you will spend a lot of time just hanging at this location. Then, while at Newport Coast you can keep your travels closer in and enjoy time at that resort.