• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How do Home Options work?

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Let’s say we are purchasing a 2BR LO at Westin Princeville on the resale market that comes with 148,100 home options. Does this mean we can have a home resort advantage to book any floating week at WPOVR and that we can bank WPOVR HOs for future use at WPOVR? Anything else to know about HOs?

celica7101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV/N, Westin Nanea, Westin Flex
Sort of...

HomeOptions really refers to the notion that when you're in your home resort priority period (12 mos to 8 mos out), you can book any number of days for the property. Normally, you are required to book in 1 week units during the home resort period, but the flex && HomeOptions locations (like Nanea) do not require this -- and you can start your vacation any day of the week (not just Fri - Sun).

The other thing to note is that Princeville is voluntary -- so you will only be able to book there regardless of the time before your proposed vacation time (as you do not have access to the rest of the Vistana network upon purchase).

To specifically answer your questions, you would have home resort advantage at 12 mos to 8 mos out, but after that, you would just be like any other StarOption booking, except you're limited to 1 property. No extra preference at that point. I am not sure if you can bank HomeOptions if you buy a voluntary resale property like Princeville, since "banking" is typically limited to StarOptions only.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Correcting my previous post:

The key question is whether this property has Home Options or Staroptions.

The original Princeville deeds were sold with Staroptions - which do not transfer upon resale.

However, if the owner converted to Flex, it would have Home Options, which would transfer to you upon resale, but it would not have Staroptions.

You would be able to use the Home Options for Princeville and any other resort in the Westin Flex group.

You would not have Staroptions to use outside the resorts in the Westin Flex group, or to bank into the next year.

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
You would NOT get home options or Staroptions - period.

Princeville is VOLUNTARY.

Home Options and Staroptions at voluntary resorts do not transfer when sold resale.

Also - "Home Options" only applies to Flex Programs, which are also voluntary.

If you purchase one of the flex programs the home options do transfer. It's the ability to use those at star options at 8 months does not transfer.

If the OP is purchasing deeded, I agree no home options- no flex options. just a deeded float week.

If the OP is looking at a Westin Flex, the home options would transfer and the purchaser could use the home options to book within the Westin Flex trust using homing options.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
tschwa2 - You're right and will edit my post.

celica7101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Correcting my previous post:

The key question is whether this property has Home Options or Staroptions.

The original Princeville deeds were sold with Staroptions - which do not transfer upon resale.

However, if the owner converted to Flex, it would have Home Options, which would transfer to you upon resale, but it would not have Staroptions.

You would be able to use the Home Options for Princeville and any other resort in the Westin Flex group.

You would not have Staroptions to use outside the resorts in the Westin Flex group, or to bank into the next year.

Sorry I was assuming the OP found a Princeville deed with HomeOptions first

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Wow - this is pretty esoteric TS contract detail stuff .

The power of TUG and the member’s knowledge - gives a complete and detailed answer to the question .

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Yes I agree. I thought this was an obvious questions but I was confused so glad I asked. I am looking at Westin Princeville deeded week 52 but it does not say if it has any Home Options specifically and mentions nothing about Flex. Assuming it is just a regular deeded week, can I do an internal exchange for another week I want to exchange into another week 1-50, or would I need to use II?

celica7101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes I agree. I thought this was an obvious questions but I was confused so glad I asked. I am looking at Westin Princeville deeded week 52 but it does not say if it has any Home Options specifically and mentions nothing about Flex. Assuming it is just a regular deeded week, can I do an internal exchange for another week I want to exchange into another week 1-50, or would I need to use II?

I think part of the confusion is that you seem to be mixing up HomeOptions with a deeded week?

AFAIK HomeOptions are specifically a feature of Nanea and the two/three Flex varieties (Westin Flex, Aventuras, and Sheraton Flex). With these specific timeshare selections, you do not have a deeded week at a property. You have an allotment of "HomeOptions" which allow you to book at the properties in exchange for their per-day option cost.

Princeville IS include in Westin Flex (https://www.vistana.com/westin-flex) but if you are looking at a week specifically at Princeville then ignore any mention above about HomeOptions. If you purchase resale, all you get is a deeded week, period. You would have priority during 12-8 mos ahead of your targeted reservation, and if you get to 8 months or sooner, then the rest of the VSN / StarOption crowd can begin booking as well.

To get back to your question, it's my understanding that if you have a deeded week, you have the right to that specific week within the home resort priority period, but you can swap for a different week if you would like to change it.

celica7101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Here's a thread about booking fixed-weeks:

https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/confirming-vistana-fixed-week.285758/#post-2245884

I think part of the confusion is that you seem to be mixing up HomeOptions with a deeded week?

AFAIK HomeOptions are specifically a feature of Nanea and the two/three Flex varieties (Westin Flex, Aventuras, and Sheraton Flex). With these specific timeshare selections, you do not have a deeded week at a property. You have an allotment of "HomeOptions" which allow you to book at the properties in exchange for their per-day option cost.

Princeville IS include in Westin Flex (https://www.vistana.com/westin-flex) but if you are looking at a week specifically at Princeville then ignore any mention above about HomeOptions. If you purchase resale, all you get is a deeded week, period. You would have priority during 12-8 mos ahead of your targeted reservation, and if you get to 8 months or sooner, then the rest of the VSN / StarOption crowd can begin booking as well.

To get back to your question, it's my understanding that if you have a deeded week, you have the right to that specific week within the home resort priority period, but you can swap for a different week if you would like to change it.