• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

DC or Interval?

Lisa8192

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know this is a tough question. I want to plan a summer trip next year out west. Hiking, rock climbing.. etc. I have a son living in Denver so need driving distance from Denver. Trying to decide if I should deposit my week to Interval or better off transferring to DC points. Any thoughts out there? Wondering if Interval will broaden my options. Unless availability is tough..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would deposit my 2020 week in II. Then you could always use points from 2021 to add extra days.
I hate wasting a week just so I can get a 10 day vacation.

I also usually see getaways for summer weeks in mountains so the answer may be neither.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
Depending on how many points you have available, I highly recommend the Ritz Residence Club in Vail. It is a beautiful resort, great location, and excellent service. Point requirements aren't too bad in summer, but I suggest a six night stay (saving the premium cost for Fri or Sat night) and spend that night in Denver.

jancurious

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I still do really well with II but I'm sure summer is more difficult. What I like about II is I get 2 weeks (for a lock-off) at amazing places with a $99 or $199 upgrade. You can't beat that. I did get Newport Coast for the first week of June and Pulse New York in July but mostly we trade in the off season as we are retired. If you want to be sure of your reservation - points are the way to go.

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Depending on how many points you have available, I highly recommend the Ritz Residence Club in Vail. It is a beautiful resort, great location, and excellent service. Point requirements aren't too bad in summer, but I suggest a six night stay (saving the premium cost for Fri or Sat night) and spend that night in Denver.

I agree with Superchief. We just stayed at the Ritz in Vail for two nights as part of a long road trip and we loved the resort and the location. I like the idea of using DC points, if you have them available or can rent them, as you don't have to rely on a trade via II, which can be very challenging for a summer week. Good luck and enjoy!

Best regards.

Mike

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
This is what I do. I look at the number of points necessary to gauge value. Can I reserve withnpoints what I can get with a weeks exchange?
Then I ask myself, can I be flexible with the week I receive in exchange and the check in day? Weeks exchanges often require more flexibility whereas reserving with points tends to be more exact.

There are a number of resort weeks available within a 2 hour driving distance of Denver. Even though summer weeks in ski territory have become more popular over the last few years, there’s still an oversupply IMHO of available timeshare units for the summer season. There are several II resorts in the Breckenridge area as an example. MVC’s mountain valley lodge is a good points value in the summer but you’re limited to either a 1 bedroom or a studio unit, they don’t have 2 bedroom units. On the other hand Grand Timber Lodge is a relatively easy exchange for the summer weeks and they have mostly 2 bedroom lock out units.

There’s really no one answer for everyone. It depends on the number of points in MVC’s system, what your needs are, your flexibility and what you need for future vacations. All you can do is compare options and decide what works best for you.

Lisa8192

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I’m intrigued by the Ritz. I’ll
Have to do some homework today. I have 2 summer Barony weeks.. About 9500 points. I’m relatively new to the DC program. Late converter.. used II a hundred times but not for the last few years.. just been going to HH. I’ll take a look at point requirements for Vail. I can use points and also rent one of my summer weeks. Really appreciate everyone’s input!

Lisa8192

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can someone tell me how many points the Ritz in Vail is for the summer? Or how to find it.. on the website and it’s not showing up anywhere.. the other Vail properties are on there.. but not Ritz.

Lisa8192

TUG Member
Reaction score
Never mind! Figured it out..

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I recall correctly, the point requirements for the Ritz in Vail increase on June 12 through after Labor Day, but still are reasonable considering how nice the resort is. We are actually going 6/6-6/12/20. We prefer to stay in Denver the last night prior to our flight home, and this saves a lot of points. The resort lets us use the facilities all day. This will be our first early June visit and the weather can be unpredictable at that time, with an occasional mountain snow. There are hiking and biking trails steps from the resort, and several good restaurants within walking distance.

It is worthwhile spending extra points for the 2BR with den villa vs std 2BR because many of them overlook the pool and mountains rather than the highway side. Our 6 night stay will be 2050 points.

Last edited:

Old Hickory

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know this is a tough question. I want to plan a summer trip next year out west. Hiking, rock climbing.. etc. I have a son living in Denver so need driving distance from Denver. Trying to decide if I should deposit my week to Interval or better off transferring to DC points. Any thoughts out there? Wondering if Interval will broaden my options. Unless availability is tough..

Before making plans you should ask your son: Vail or Breckenridge for what you want to experience? Just a thought....

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Uh, Barony Summer. Wow.

How about renting the Barony's, and going to Granby; Rocky Mountain National Park. It's not the Vail Ritz, but you didn't say 'sipping champagne while dining on pate...'
The Worldmarks/resorts there are very nice and I'm thinking are a whole lot cheaper.

Of course, 2100 points for the Ritz sounds good too.

Breck and Vail are worlds apart. Fat Tire (Breck) and Veuve Clicquot.
They are all about 2 hours away.

most of the outdoor activities in Breck/Vail revolve around the resorts and lifts--easy and more commercial.
Granby/RMNP is a lot more 'park' 'wilderness' 'trails' kind of thing.

Good luck!

https://www.visitgrandcounty.com/stories/15-things-to-do-this-summer/

https://www.visitvailvalley.com/

https://www.gobreck.com/by-season/summer-in-breckenridge/

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
This was the view from our 2BR + den unit during our last stay in Vail.

Attachments

• IMG_1171.JPG
    IMG_1171.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 41

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
It is worthwhile spending extra points for the 2BR with den villa vs std 2BR because many of them overlook the pool and mountains rather than the highway side. Our 6 night stay will be 2050 points.

This is good to know for future reference. Ours was the first visit there, so I didn’t know the difference. We stayed in the standard 2BR unit, which was great especially for only two people. However, our unit on the fifth floor did have a view of the north mountains and the freeway. You couldn’t hear the sound of cars while inside, but there was the white noise while on the balcony. I will have to keep that in mind for any future visits.

Best regards.

Mike

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is good to know for future reference. Ours was the first visit there, so I didn’t know the difference. We stayed in the standard 2BR unit, which was great especially for only two people. However, our unit on the fifth floor did have a view of the north mountains and the freeway. You couldn’t hear the sound of cars while inside, but there was the white noise while on the balcony. I will have to keep that in mind for any future visits.

Best regards.

Mike
We had the standard 2BR on our first visit and were on the highway side. I agree that we didn't hear highway noise inside the villa, but the view and ambiance on the pool side are much more enjoyable. Most, if not all, of the std 2 BR are on the highways side. The concierge suggested the larger 2BR for our future stays and it was well worth it. Although we didn't use it, the den has a sleeper sofa so it can accommodate more people. I think many of the 3BR are also on the pool side.