• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Encore Package --> Required Presentation (today) --> Presidential level

LUVourMarriotts

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MFV (P) 2002
MSU (G) 2006
MOW (P) 2018
Enrolled in DP +++
We were at MOW a year ago, at this time, and went to a sales presentation. During that presentation, we did not purchase anything, but signed up for an Encore Package, for $2046 to come back. A few months later, we picked up a resale Platinum OceanSide MOW week. The Encore was booked for 6/29-7/6, for us, which is exactly what we were hoping for.

Today, we went to our required presentation. Walking in, my wife and I both said, we are not buying, lets just get this over with as fast as possible, and get back to our vacation. For the first 45 minutes, it was just a chat. Then, we were ushered to the office to go over numbers. We already told the salesman we were not buying, and we just did the Encore to get an extra week at a reasonable price, especially for 4th of July week. Here are the offers the salesman provided:

1500 points: $14.24/point = $21,360; This was described as a good option, to get us into the trust, because we were not in the trust yet
2500 points: $14.24/point = $35,600; This was described as a great option, because it would get us into the trust AND get us to Executive, we are currently Select.
3000 points: $14.24/point = $42,720; This was described as an unbelievable option, because it would get us into the trust AND enable them to enroll my resale MOW week at 3900 points AND get us to Presidential.

He focused on my wife, because she told a story about us meeting several people in the pools or around the resorts we go to, that are our age (early 40s). She said that she usually hears them say that they are vacationing with their parents, who own. She was telling him that we are a little backwards, because we are the owners, and we are starting to bring our parents with us on vacations. She would like to do more of that, as both of our parents have not experienced the types of vacations that we have, in their lives. My parents are retired, and hers still work. They are all in their early/mid 70s. So, with this story, I think he dug in and really pushed on her with stories of great family vacations, but needing some more points to do so. I let it go without too much interrupting, because I get what he was saying, didn't really care if we added more or not, but was fine either way. I think he won her over, which I totally did not expect. o_O

So his closer came in. He told us that he was going to review the offers with us, and tell us about some really great incentives that they have to offer. Here are his offers:

1500 points: no change to the original offer, no discount = $21,360
2500 points: 10% discount $14.24 to $12.82/point = $32,050
3000 points: 25% discount $14.24 to $10.68/point = $32,040

All 3 offers, if financed for 18 months (and pay the exact amount owed, nothing more), would get the same number of points as a bonus. The bonus points are valid for 2 years.
These numbers are also before applying the Encore Package, of $2046.

In the end, we went for the 3000 points, at $29,994 (after deducting the Encore), which is adding 6900 points to our account. That comes to $4.35/point. Even if I include that price I had already paid for the resale week, its still $5.94/point.

Once closed, we will have 11,550 points to play with each year. The 3000 bonus points will nicely coincide with our 20th wedding anniversary (also our 20th MVC ownership anniversary). She is already talking about planning a Hawaii trip for the 20th. We've both been saying we need to get there. There is probably no better reason to go.

Oh, and we also received 25,000 Bonvoy points for completing the terms of the Encore.

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
If you wanted more points than that is about as good as it gets. Congrats.

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
We were at MOW a year ago, at this time, and went to a sales presentation. During that presentation, we did not purchase anything, but signed up for an Encore Package, for $2046 to come back. A few months later, we picked up a resale Platinum OceanSide MOW week. The Encore was booked for 6/29-7/6, for us, which is exactly what we were hoping for.

Today, we went to our required presentation. Walking in, my wife and I both said, we are not buying, lets just get this over with as fast as possible, and get back to our vacation. For the first 45 minutes, it was just a chat. Then, we were ushered to the office to go over numbers. We already told the salesman we were not buying, and we just did the Encore to get an extra week at a reasonable price, especially for 4th of July week. Here are the offers the salesman provided:

1500 points: $14.24/point = $21,360; This was described as a good option, to get us into the trust, because we were not in the trust yet
2500 points: $14.24/point = $35,600; This was described as a great option, because it would get us into the trust AND get us to Executive, we are currently Select.
3000 points: $14.24/point = $42,720; This was described as an unbelievable option, because it would get us into the trust AND enable them to enroll my resale MOW week at 3900 points AND get us to Presidential.

He focused on my wife, because she told a story about us meeting several people in the pools or around the resorts we go to, that are our age (early 40s). She said that she usually hears them say that they are vacationing with their parents, who own. She was telling him that we are a little backwards, because we are the owners, and we are starting to bring our parents with us on vacations. She would like to do more of that, as both of our parents have not experienced the types of vacations that we have, in their lives. My parents are retired, and hers still work. They are all in their early/mid 70s. So, with this story, I think he dug in and really pushed on her with stories of great family vacations, but needing some more points to do so. I let it go without too much interrupting, because I get what he was saying, didn't really care if we added more or not, but was fine either way. I think he won her over, which I totally did not expect. o_O

So his closer came in. He told us that he was going to review the offers with us, and tell us about some really great incentives that they have to offer. Here are his offers:

All 3 offers, if financed for 18 months (and pay the exact amount owed, nothing more), would get the same number of points as a bonus. The bonus points are valid for 2 years.

In the end, we went for the 3000 points, at $29,994 (after deducting the Encore), which is adding 6900 points to our account. That comes to $4.35/point. Even if I include that price I had already paid for the resale week, its still $5.94/point.

Once closed, we will have 11,550 points to play with each year. The 3000 bonus points will nicely coincide with our 20th wedding anniversary (also our 20th MVC ownership anniversary). She is already talking about planning a Hawaii trip for the 20th. We've both been saying we need to get there. There is probably no better reason to go.

Oh, and we also received 25,000 Bonvoy points for completing the terms of the Encore.

Congratulations and Happy 20th Anniversaries!

Does does seem like a reasonable deal. We recently attended a presentation and they only offered a 20% discount for a 4,000 point package, which we declined.

Enjoy Hawaii!

Best regards.

Mike

Davey54321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Congratulations Brady and family! Hawaii is the best, highly recommend! For our last purchase (to get us to Presidential, as your package did) we did a hybrid... and though they were pushing hard for us to purchase another Cypress Harbour week with equal points, we opted instead to get an every other odd year 1bed 2 bath OV at Maui (same # of every year points) better annual maintenance fees and we are more likely to use)... We had already been to Hawaii two or three times and love it! So welcome to Presidential, happy 4th to you all and hope to see you again in our (MVCD) travels!

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold

Overall, you have a good deal in my opinion, especially with you being able to bring in your resale week. One of the things that I do look at are the maintenance fees. Points maintenance fees are very high compared to weeks maintenance fees. They are currently in at .58 where if you had bought a comparable week from St. Kitts or Aruba with about for the same amount money and possibly receive more points with less maintenance fee per point. Nevertheless, “You done good!”

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Overall, you have a good deal in my opinion, especially with you being able to bring in your resale week. One of the things that I do look at are the maintenance fees. Points maintenance fees are very high compared to weeks maintenance fees. They are currently in at .58 where if you had bought a comparable week from St. Kitts or Aruba with about for the same amount money and possibly receive more points with less maintenance fee per point. Nevertheless, “You done good!”
Comparable weeks at many resorts will be less (sometimes much less) MF per point.
Many Caribbean weeks unfortunately are actually higher MF per point, e.g. our St Kitts weeks.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

If you will use your resale week for points and you can plan ahead at 12-13 months, that's not unreasonable. You're still where you can cancel if you decide there are better choices. I somewhat agree with both Barry and Carlito. If it fits well for you, it's not a bad situation. But it does tend to make your fees high, over 60¢ pp but you were already there with the MOW 1BR which is 56¢ on it's own but the points are even more. An alternative would been to have bought an Aruba or St. Kitt's or ? Spain week with better value and better fees for around the same cost or possibly a little more. You can't reasonably count the points you get from the other week into your purchase value. You can look at what you paid for THIS package and the overall. So right at $10 pp for this package and the $6 if you look at them as a group. Were you to go with a Spain or Caribbean purchase you might pay a modest amount more upfront but have more points and lower fees. How much lower fees would depend on the choices, quite a bit for Spain, modestly less for many (but not all) of the Caribbean weeks. But you'd lose the Encore credit in all likelihood because the sales department there likely can't sell you those other options.

Reactions: jme

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
Comparable weeks at many resorts will be less (sometimes much less) MF per point.
Many Caribbean weeks unfortunately are actually higher MF per point, e.g. our St Kitts weeks.

I was looking at it from the standpoint that if he got a week in St. Kitts a 2 bedroom OV platinum for the same $30,000 he could get 3650 points and MF’s would be .54/pt which is less than .58. However, For a few thousand more dollars, he could buy an Aruba Surf Club OV two bedroom platinum season and get 4075 points with maintenance fees at .45/pt.

Now I am just looking at this strictly from a points perspective. I like enrolled weeks better than pure points. It gives you a big advantage in booking your home resort and you save on maintenance fees compared to pure DC points. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Reactions: jme

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold

Hi There,

There was one other thing that I forgot to mention that I wanted to point out to you in case you did not consider it. If you can buy the points in cash, I would do so. The extra 3000 BONUS points might seem nice, but when you look at the interest you pay for those 18 months will be a lot more costly than if you just rented those points from another owner. Look at the numbers and you may think twice about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

LUVourMarriotts

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MFV (P) 2002
MSU (G) 2006
MOW (P) 2018
Enrolled in DP +++
If you can buy the points in cash, I would do so.

We could certainly do that, and plan to run some numbers after we get home from this trip. There is no pre-payment penalties, so we will see.

If you will use your resale week for points and you can plan ahead at 12-13 months, that's not unreasonable. You're still where you can cancel if you decide there are better choices. I somewhat agree with both Barry and Carlito. If it fits well for you, it's not a bad situation. But it does tend to make your fees high, over 60¢ pp but you were already there with the MOW 1BR which is 56¢ on it's own but the points are even more. An alternative would been to have bought an Aruba or St. Kitt's or ? Spain week with better value and better fees for around the same cost or possibly a little more. You can't reasonably count the points you get from the other week into your purchase value. You can look at what you paid for THIS package and the overall. So right at $10 pp for this package and the $6 if you look at them as a group. Were you to go with a Spain or Caribbean purchase you might pay a modest amount more upfront but have more points and lower fees. How much lower fees would depend on the choices, quite a bit for Spain, modestly less for many (but not all) of the Caribbean weeks. But you'd lose the Encore credit in all likelihood because the sales department there likely can't sell you those other options.

Here's the logic I was thinking, when we spoke privately before making the final decision. The money we spent for the 2BR MOW resale week is already gone, so no need to consider it. But, by doing this purchase of points, they were enrolling that resale week. So, if we calculate the price per point for that purchase, we paid $2.82/point for those 3900 points that are now enrolled. Then, we paid $10.00/point for the 3000. When combining those 2 together, we are paying $5.94/point, which is generally better than the resale market (including MVC fees). I had also worked with the MVC resale department in the past, including earlier this year. They told me that I would need to purchase something from them that is worth more points than my MOW week, for them to enroll my MOW week. So, they really only offered me an option for St. Kitts or Aruba. In either case, the purchase price was more than $29,994, and the MF's are also more than the points MF's, at current rates. Am I missing the point you were trying to make?

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
They told me that I would need to purchase something from them that is worth more points than my MOW week, for them to enroll my MOW week. So, they really only offered me an option for St. Kitts or Aruba. In either case, the purchase price was more than $29,994, and the MF's are also more than the points MF's, at current rates. Am I missing the point you were trying to make?

You are correct that the total MF for an Aruba or St Kitts week is more than the MF on your 3000 points, but the MF/Point could be less, depending on what you had to buy. For example:

-- MF on 3000 trust points at 2019 rate of $0.58/point: $1740

-- MF on 2BR Aruba Ocean Club Ocean View Platinum/Gold: $1984
-- DC Point Value of 2BR Aruba Ocean Club Platinum: 4075 points (which would meet the requirement to be more than your MOW week)

So, that 2BR Aruba Ocean Club OV Platinum unit would cost you $244/year more than the Trust points, but you would get 4075 points instead of 3000, so your cost per point for the Aruba week would be $0.49 instead of $0.58.

I have no idea how the upfront cost of that Aruba week would compare to your $29,994, but as far as ongoing MF is concerned, you would get 1075 more points every year for only $244 more. So, more total cost but a lower recurring cost/point.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
We could certainly do that, and plan to run some numbers after we get home from this trip. There is no pre-payment penalties, so we will see.

Here's the logic I was thinking, when we spoke privately before making the final decision. The money we spent for the 2BR MOW resale week is already gone, so no need to consider it. But, by doing this purchase of points, they were enrolling that resale week. So, if we calculate the price per point for that purchase, we paid $2.82/point for those 3900 points that are now enrolled. Then, we paid $10.00/point for the 3000. When combining those 2 together, we are paying $5.94/point, which is generally better than the resale market (including MVC fees). I had also worked with the MVC resale department in the past, including earlier this year. They told me that I would need to purchase something from them that is worth more points than my MOW week, for them to enroll my MOW week. So, they really only offered me an option for St. Kitts or Aruba. In either case, the purchase price was more than $29,994, and the MF's are also more than the points MF's, at current rates. Am I missing the point you were trying to make?

I was going with last year’s prices in which St. Kitts platinum 2 bedroom was $30,900 for the 3650 DC points and the Aruba Surf Club 2 bedroom OV platinum was $35,000 for the 4075 DC points. If they increased prices for the weeks significantly it would make sense to hesitate to purchase. One of the good things about those purchases is that you can load up on points and the maintenance fees per point decreases with the higher point total. I considered this strategy at first when I was considering buying points through the purchase of a Caribbean week.

Also, I understand that when Marriott decides to do their sales promotions, you as the buyer only have what they are offering you at that time. I know that initially, Marriott only wanted me to select a resale week that was worth the value or less than my Aruba week. A week or two later they they changed and said my selection For my resale week could be any week regardless of its point value. So naturally, I selected a resale week that elected to much higher DC points with a lower maintenance fee. However, we as buyers can only take advantage of what Marriott is offering at the time. I think you did a good job overall with your purchase.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was looking at it from the standpoint that if he got a week in St. Kitts a 2 bedroom OV platinum for the same $30,000 he could get 3650 points and MF’s would be .54/pt which is less than .58. However, For a few thousand more dollars, he could buy an Aruba Surf Club OV two bedroom platinum season and get 4075 points with maintenance fees at .45/pt.

Now I am just looking at this strictly from a points perspective. I like enrolled weeks better than pure points. It gives you a big advantage in booking your home resort and you save on maintenance fees compared to pure DC points. Just a thought.
I do agree.
Sadly our 2 bedroom GV Gold there only elects for 2525 points, which comes in at .79 per point!
Thankfully, when we don’t go it is a great Interval trader.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you don't consider what you spent on the MOW week, all you're looking at is a $10 pp buy in. When I did a recent purchase enrollment I looked at my total cost of all weeks as well as the cost of the qualifying purchase, which I feel is the correct ways of evaluating this process. I can't speak to all the nuances of what's required to purchase to enroll the MOW week but my experience with enrolling 7.5 weeks was the purchase price was much less than the qualifying points and the fees were much less. And the reality is that the lower you are able to get the fees on a pp basic, the more you're likely to pay up front. But the reality is that you want to think about fees going forward as much or more than the upfront costs. So you don't want to find the cheapest thing that will qualify but rather the best week for the price. For Aruba maybe an OF Gold week or an OV Platinum might be your best option. For Spain, if you can get the same deal, you might pay as much but the fees could be even lower. Barry can speak more to that than I. You're going to have yearly fees around 60¢ a point roughly and you could get them down around 50¢ a point, maybe even lower with some options. And you'd likely end up with more points. I know for our situation we saved $13K with much lower fees than had we done so on points alone.

LUVourMarriotts

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MFV (P) 2002
MSU (G) 2006
MOW (P) 2018
Enrolled in DP +++
If you don't consider what you spent on the MOW week, all you're looking at is a $10 pp buy in. When I did a recent purchase enrollment I looked at my total cost of all weeks as well as the cost of the qualifying purchase, which I feel is the correct ways of evaluating this process. I can't speak to all the nuances of what's required to purchase to enroll the MOW week but my experience with enrolling 7.5 weeks was the purchase price was much less than the qualifying points and the fees were much less. And the reality is that the lower you are able to get the fees on a pp basic, the more you're likely to pay up front. But the reality is that you want to think about fees going forward as much or more than the upfront costs. So you don't want to find the cheapest thing that will qualify but rather the best week for the price. For Aruba maybe an OF Gold week or an OV Platinum might be your best option. For Spain, if you can get the same deal, you might pay as much but the fees could be even lower. Barry can speak more to that than I. You're going to have yearly fees around 60¢ a point roughly and you could get them down around 50¢ a point, maybe even lower with some options. And you'd likely end up with more points. I know for our situation we saved $13K with much lower fees than had we done so on points alone.

OK, I understand what you are saying now. Thanks for the explanation. I'm curious about the price from MVC sales operations on the Aruba weeks. When I was speaking with them, the prices for Aruba were high. They offered me a Gold GV week for $27,900, which only converts for 2575. That would have gotten me to Executive, but would not enroll my MOW. I asked for the cheapest Aruba Surf that would enroll my MOW, and she said it was a Platinum OV for $40,900. I did not consider St. Kitts, for a number of reasons. At these numbers, I would have paid $11,000 to save $200/year, lower my price/point, and have about 1100 more points overall. BUT, reading your posts, it makes be believe that people paid a lot less than these prices through MVC recently.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
OK, I understand what you are saying now. Thanks for the explanation. I'm curious about the price from MVC sales operations on the Aruba weeks. When I was speaking with them, the prices for Aruba were high. They offered me a Gold GV week for $27,900, which only converts for 2575. That would have gotten me to Executive, but would not enroll my MOW. I asked for the cheapest Aruba Surf that would enroll my MOW, and she said it was a Platinum OV for $40,900. I did not consider St. Kitts, for a number of reasons. At these numbers, I would have paid $11,000 to save $200/year, lower my price/point, and have about 1100 more points overall. BUT, reading your posts, it makes be believe that people paid a lot less than these prices through MVC recently.
I didn't have the prices for anything in Aruba other than the 2 BR Platinum OS at OC, 3 BR OV at SW Platinum and a 2 & 1 BR gold. Based on my enrollment I was told I had to hit the buy in of $48K to enroll 7 weeks which would have been 5500 points on a points purchase. Thus I would have assumed that the price to enroll one week there was as cheap or cheaper than just the 3000 points. But the offer does change from year to year. Personally I'd rather have the Platinum SW at the higher price & 4075 pts than the 3000 points. Comparing to the same number of points, the fees are quite different in favor of the purchase for a Platinum SW 2 BR OV. That price sounds a little high, was it OS or OV? For me personally we go to Aruba ever couple of years so that's an additional savings of a few hundred points on years we actually use it. Plus I've got something underlying that has more intrinsic value. As I said above, every bit you squeezed down the price the more you raise your per point fees. Have you talked to Aruba directly, I would if you're not too far on the process esp if Aruba interests you.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold

Exactly one /year and one week ago, I was offered that same platinum Aruba 2 bedroom OV for $35,1000. Supposedly, I was being given a reduced rate because the regular price was $42,000. They are telling you $40,000 for that unit. They also offered Aruba Ocean Club Platinum season 1 bedroom Ocean Front for $1500 less.