• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Should I Rescind My Bonnet Creek Purchase

starskald

Reaction score
My gut says yes, and that should probably be enough of a reason, but I didn't sleep well last night either.

My wife and I just financed a purchase of 200k points for just under $30k. They added a couple of bonuses like an extra one time use 300k and VIP access for the next two years (still not 100% sure what I get with VIP).

For anyone thinking about doing this, let me tell you of my experience. First, we go to Disney A LOT (AP holders). We were considering DVC. We stayed at the Wyndham Hotel over at Disney Springs, and they roped us in with a free weekend at some point in the future, btw, we will give you a $150 gift card, and all you have to do is attend a no more than 2 hour timeshare presentation. Here I was thinking, "surely, I can stick to my laurels and just say no, collect my card and move on." Boy was I foolish. I guess my problem was we were very seriously considering DVC (mainly resale).

So there we were in the presentation and then we saw the rooms. We were floored. They were beautiful rooms. And trying to do quick math in our heads, we realized that they were quite "cheaper" than deluxe Disney resorts. And then they used my kids against me...it's FOREVER. That was something that set them apart from Disney. Forever. In perpetuity.

So they come out with these two offers that was only good for that day and the price would double and stay there. I thought I was smarter than that...oh how naive.

The whole thing was such an cattle call operation.

Sitting here writing it all out, and everything I have read on the forums, makes me realize I can do better...and pay cash for it all! It should be a toy after all.

I guess my question now is this. Since I purchased in Florida, but am a Georgia resident, what is my rescinding window and any advice on how I should proceed. Just follow the stickied thread?

Thanks for reading.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
My gut says yes, and that should probably be enough of a reason, but I didn't sleep well last night either.
Trust your gut! Rescind NOW! Follow the instructions exactly as written in your sales contract. I believe since you bought in Florida the purchase is subject to the Florida rescission time period--10 days. But, don't delay. Compose a simple letter stating that you are exercising your legal right to rescind. Be sure everyone who signed the purchase contract signs the letter. Mail it by certified mail so that you'll have a receipt from the post office showing that you rescinded within the rescission time period. That's the key date--when you mailed it and not when they received it.

Take your time to do more research and buy resale for cash. And welcome to TUG!

Iggyearl

TUG Member
Reaction score
10 day right of rescission in Florida. Where you signed the contract. Instructions are in your packet, along with an address. Send certified - return receipt. You will have to just wait til they respond. Refund could take up to 45 days. You would be well advised to NOT answer the phone if they call. Nothing good can come of it. Good luck.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten

My wife and I just financed a purchase of 200k points for just under $30k. They added a couple of bonuses like an extra one time use 300k and VIP access for the next two years (still not 100% sure what I get with VIP).

For anyone thinking about doing this, let me tell you of my experience. First, we go to Disney A LOT (AP holders). We were considering DVC. We stayed at the Wyndham Hotel over at Disney Springs, and they roped us in with a free weekend at some point in the future, btw, we will give you a $150 gift card, and all you have to do is attend a no more than 2 hour timeshare presentation. Here I was thinking, "surely, I can stick to my laurels and just say no, collect my card and move on." Boy was I foolish. I guess my problem was we were very seriously considering DVC (mainly resale).

So there we were in the presentation and then we saw the rooms. We were floored. They were beautiful rooms. And trying to do quick math in our heads, we realized that they were quite "cheaper" than deluxe Disney resorts. And then they used my kids against me...it's FOREVER. That was something that set them apart from Disney. Forever. In perpetuity.

So they come out with these two offers that was only good for that day and the price would double and stay there. I thought I was smarter than that...oh how naive.

Sitting here writing it all out, and everything I have read on the forums, makes me realize I can do better...and pay cash for it all! It should be a toy after all.

I guess my question now is this. Since I purchased in Florida, but am a Georgia resident, what is my rescinding window and any advice on how I should proceed. Just follow the stickied thread?

Thanks for reading.

Listen carefully. The only advice you need to follow right now is to rescind. Do not and I repeat DO NOT sleep on it. Rescind. Zero question about it. You can buy resale dirt cheap. If you go to Orlando a lot the market is so saturated that you can pick up a rental any time of year for half of your annual fees. Or better yet, take the money you paid for the overpriced developer TS and buy a condo in orlando if you go that much, then airbnb it when you’re not there.

Buy into a program with better destinations and resorts IMO. pick up MVC, you’ll get much more use out of it.

Cyrus24

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Royal Garden, Las Olas, VV at Parkway, Island Links
Rescind. Take your time to learn about the Wyndham program. The offer they put on the table will be there after you've had the time to learn/understand the pro's/con's of buying Wyndham points from developer, buying from telesales, or buying from the marketplace (Tug/Ebay). Wyndham has a good product, and it's even better when you buy on your terms. Rescission is an easy process, just follow it exactly as it's addressed in your documents. There are sample letters and other info on the process inside TUG.

You are not alone, BTW. I'm a long term Wyndham owner and I even fell into the trap not too long ago (in Florida). I rescinded, no problems.

Let us know how it goes!!!

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV

Thanks for reading.

So there is a lot of speculation going on about a joint MVC/VISTANA program coming since MVG owns it all. Now, I’m not saying wait for that because it shouldn’t direct you go buy in that program, but it may shake up the market in terms of resales and making other programs more competitive. Not a guarantee but a possibility.

Last edited:

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Definitely rescind. Then, take your time and do your research and decide what (if anything) you want to buy, and how.

For what it's worth: we went through a very similar thought process a dozen years ago when we first purchased a timeshare. I started looking at DVC, and then realized that Wyndham was a much better value---and that's even more true when purchased resale. Considering that we were not sure we'd be "forever Disney" people, that sealed the deal, and our first timeshare was a resale Wyndham deed. We never seriously considered a developer purchase. Looking back, this has worked out very well for us. We do plenty of Disney vacations for sure, and our stays at Bonnet have been comparable in overall "vacation enjoyment" to our stays at OKW or SSR.

We've also done more "non-Disney" than I might have expected, and really enjoyed those too. Just yesterday I got back from a week at Wyndham Smoky Mountain with my kids, and we had a blast---some theme park time in Dollywood, but also plenty of time in/near GSMNP hiking and tubing.

Last edited:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Whatever you do, follow the instructions to the T, if you need help check these forums. You,l get a lot of advice. Including sending certified mail return receipt etc etc.

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Buying direct at DVC allows you to purchase a gold annual pass. That is pretty good savings right there.

I would rescind.

That being said, we stay at Bonnet Creek. I've downsized my DVC but I have retained that AP discount.

Last edited:

spackler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Quarter House, Jean Lafitte House, Bali Hai
Didn't even read the post.

The question to "should I rescind?" is nearly always the same: Yes.

There are exceptionally rare instances where purchasing from Wyndham makes sense, but that usually involves an experienced owner in the mist of a very unique circumstance.

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Adding to the chorus- OF COURSE you should rescind. There really is no doubt you overpaid for what could be had for pennies on the dollar resale.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
Rescind. Rent from a few owners to ensure you actually like the Wyndham vacation experiences first. If you then decide that Wyndham works well for your family, consider buying resale for pennies on the dollar. The only time purchasing from the developer is worthwhile is if you can obtain permanent VIP status without breaking the bank and with a decent breakeven point (10 years for us). You only have temporary VIPS with your current purchase for two years as a result of the bonus contract they sold you - after which you lose your VIP status unless you make another developer purchase.

We decided to purchase developer points in July 2018 via a combination of two CWA contracts (two 105k/295k contracts via telesales) and two PIC contracts. We own 718k annual points and are permanent VIPG - temporary VIPP through Sept 2020. Altogether we spent about 27k - compare that to what you just purchased and rescinding is a no brainer. :)

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
So, did the letter go out yet?

Cresswyndham

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rescind. Just a quick look at FOR SALE section shows several Bonnet Creek Deeds at a fraction of that cost. Also other Wyndham resort points can be used to reserve here as well. We have OBMB and I have reserved Bonnet Creek in July without VIP (something the salespeople say is impossible without that 13 month window). We did it in April.

starskald

Reaction score
Rescission letter is in the mail, certified, and return receipt requested. I added a copy of the cover of the purchase and security agreement along with the letter.

As a secondary caution, I will also email them.

Thanks for the advice. I will post a follow up here of any confirmations I receive for anyone looking to understand the rescission process.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rescind. Rent from a few owners to ensure you actually like the Wyndham vacation experiences first. If you then decide that Wyndham works well for your family, consider buying resale for pennies on the dollar. The only time purchasing from the developer is worthwhile is if you can obtain permanent VIP status without breaking the bank and with a decent breakeven point (10 years for us). You only have temporary VIPS with your current purchase for two years as a result of the bonus contract they sold you - after which you lose your VIP status unless you make another developer purchase.

We decided to purchase developer points in July 2018 via a combination of two CWA contracts (two 105k/295k contracts via telesales) and two PIC contracts. We own 718k annual points and are permanent VIPG - temporary VIPP through Sept 2020. Altogether we spent about 27k - compare that to what you just purchased and rescinding is a no brainer. :)
I like the rent from a VIP option over buying.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Rescission letter is in the mail, certified, and return receipt requested. I added a copy of the cover of the purchase and security agreement along with the letter.

As a secondary caution, I will also email them.

Thanks for the advice. I will post a follow up here of any confirmations I receive for anyone looking to understand the rescission process.

There is a listing on eBay of 308K points for 605 bucks so you can always get that lol