• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Do I want a purple mattress?

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
My friend has one and it seems very comfy. Not sure it's worth the price though. Would love to listen to any thoughts here.... (you all are so wise)

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Trade you a purple mattress for our Sleep Number bed. I hate the damn thing and hope that the people buying our house when we get ready to sell will want it.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Trade you a purple mattress for our Sleep Number bed. I hate the damn thing and hope that the people buying our house when we get ready to sell will want it.
My daughter loves her Sleep Number bed. What is it you don't like about it? I can't imagine buying a house and keeping the mattress from the people before. That's one thing I insist on having new.

P.S. I had never heard of purple mattresses before this.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Check out Leesa mattresses. They aren't as expensive as Purple. Our son and DIL had a Tempur-pedic we gave them and needed to replace it because it didn't fare well when they moved. He did a lot of research and liked what he read about Leesa vs Purple. They've had their Leesa mattress for at least three years now and are still very happy with it. He was anxious to have me try it as we have a Tempur-Pedic Cloud Luxe. I liked their Leesa enough to buy one for our granddaughter as I sleep in her room when I visit them.

rboesl

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
We have a discount mattress local chain in our area. They contract with a local manufacturer (Jamestown Mattress) and some of the same manufacturers that put the big brand names on their mattresses. Saved us huge. We were able to get an adjustable bed frame and a memory foam mattress in the firmness we each liked. We bought 2 XL Twin sets for $699 each set (mattress & adjustable frame). The beds are set next to each other and clamped together to make it seem like a king size bed. But we each can adjust the bed to our individual comfort. And, big bonus, we both sleep better since the purchase.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We love our sleep number bed where it is split into 2 separate mattresses with separate settings. The most comfortable mattresses that we have ever slept on.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
My daughter loves her Sleep Number bed. What is it you don't like about it? I can't imagine buying a house and keeping the mattress from the people before. That's one thing I insist on having new.

P.S. I had never heard of purple mattresses before this.

I'd guess the mattress part of the SN bed is much cheaper than the moving parts (and my bed has the "bumpers" on the side so no dust ruffle is needed) and that it would be pretty easy for someone to replace the mattresses while keeping the box spring base and all the mechanical and electrical parts. I hate it because it sits and lays just fine for 15 minutes, after that I feel like the princess in the story with the pea. Had to put a foam pad on top of mine (funny the SN store has those in stock so I must not be the only one complaining about feeling the springs or whatever is inside the mattress). We've slept in dozens of beds on vacation, and I can only recall one time I was unhappy with the bed (and they provided a foam pad, and earlier this year we stayed at the same resort and I had no problem at all with the bed). In winter when I have a regular bedspread on the bed looks lopsided because my side looks higher with the pad (Cliff does not want a pad on his side, I've asked several times). In the summer when I use a fluffy duvet, the difference between the two halves of the bed is hardly noticeable. Also the king with dual controls and twin mattresses is a bear to change. I can strip it by going back and forth around the bed several times, but putting the fitted sheets on where you have to lay across the bed to access the inner corners is beyond my capabilities, but luckily Cliff does that part.

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
Checked the Purple out but ended up buying the Novaform Memory Gel Foam mattress from Costco. We decided if we were going to buy a bed in the bag type of mattress we would do it from a company with a great return policy. Costco was a no brainer. Have loved the mattress.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
I have heard of the purple mattress, but not really familiar with details.

I bought a 'bed in a box' type memory foam mattress 3 yrs ago for under $300. I love it! Prior to that I had a spring mattress purchased many years ago for over $1000... so that's my only comparison. I know I'll never go back to a spring mattress.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
My friend has one and it seems very comfy. Not sure it's worth the price though. Would love to listen to any thoughts here.... (you all are so wise)

You might want one but will want something better sooner than later. Get a sleep number and you will never get anything else, imo.

Bill

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
Checked the Purple out but ended up buying the Novaform Memory Gel Foam mattress from Costco. We decided if we were going to buy a bed in the bag type of mattress we would do it from a company with a great return policy. Costco was a no brainer. Have loved the mattress.

After doing more research, I'm going to give this one a try! My new bed was delivered yesterday; needs to be assembled after the weekend. I'll be adding a low profile box spring to compensate for the 14" mattress depth. I've been laying all over the Novafoam sample at Costco and today I asked if they got many returns on them and was told no. So, hoping it works out! Thanks for the idea!

Last edited:

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
When we were at Ocean Beach Club in Virginia Beach last year over Spring Break, the resort is basically across the street from Leesa HQ. Only four months out from a hip replacement, it is clear that our decade+ mattress is in waaaaay need of replacement with something much more supportive. We *really* wanted to like the Leesa--everyone at the building was so nice, it's a certified B Corp (socially responsible business--but, alas, just not supportive enough when we laid down on it.

Now, I've had a Purple mattress with the pillow topper open on a tab on my iPad for about a year. There is no way we can afford it currently, but it seems like it would really fit the ticket....*sigh*

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
After doing more research, I'm going to give this one a try! My new bed was delivered yesterday; needs to be assembled after the weekend. I'll be adding a low profile box spring to compensate for the 14" mattress depth. I've been laying all over the Novafoam sample at Costco and today I asked if they got many returns on them and was told no. So, hoping it works out! Thanks for the idea!

The Costco one in king is $699. and an added surprise...it has a $140. discount now thru May 10. Plus it can be retuned if you don't like it. Might be worth a look. One of the things I checked out were the hip pressure points (I'm a side sleeper) and it seems like it will be ok for me.

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
So, last night was the first night I slept on the new Costco mattress. It could be a tad softer but no pressure point issues. Overall it was one of the better nights I've had in a long while! Looking forward to seeing how it is going forward...

mentalbreak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hope the mattress is still serving you well.

I just came to report that after having a tempurpedic mattress for 8 years due to my husband’s back issues, I can absolutely say today that it was worth every last cent. (He would have said that after a month, but I was indifferent until today.)

I injured my back on the 4th and haven’t slept for more than 30 minutes at a time since then. Finally made it home today and slept for 6 hours straight without waking screaming in pain.

Finding the right mattress is priceless.

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
We had a sleep number as well. I think we wanted to like it for what it cost but never could find our number

We recently purchased an Amerisleep AS3
Comes with 100 full refund trial. Many other online beds also have the 100 day trial

Have had it about 8 months and love it

northwoodsgal

TUG Member
Reaction score
We need a new mattress and have been giving serious consideration to the purple mattress. It definitely does not retain heat like most other mattresses. Our local store manager said they get the most returns on the original purple mattress because the top layer isn't enough to keep people from sinking to the bottom layer, which is not really meant for "people" support. We thought the purple 3 or 4 would work best for us. However, I called a different store and was told they no longer carry the 3 or 4 because of the large number of returns - people apparently felt like they were "sloshing" when they moved. We're going to keep reading and looking, for now.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
....snip.... In the summer when I use a fluffy duvet, the difference between the two halves of the bed is hardly noticeable. Also the king with dual controls and twin mattresses is a bear to change. I can strip it by going back and forth around the bed several times, but putting the fitted sheets on where you have to lay across the bed to access the inner corners is beyond my capabilities, but luckily Cliff does that part.

We have the adjustable Tempurpedic split king. It is so hard to change the sheets. Our's have corner elastic straps as well as the fitted corners. I too can strip it by crawling to the middle corner. I just can't put those middle corners back on. Hubby has to do it. The bottom sheet is never tight enough though. However, the mattress and position have, knock wood, "cured" my sciatica and back pain. When I sleep on other flat beds, I have some light back pain but no sciatica.

mentalbreak

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have the adjustable Tempurpedic split king. It is so hard to change the sheets. Our's have corner elastic straps as well as the fitted corners. I too can strip it by crawling to the middle corner. I just can't put those middle corners back on. Hubby has to do it. The bottom sheet is never tight enough though. However, the mattress and position have, knock wood, "cured" my sciatica and back pain. When I sleep on other flat beds, I have some light back pain but no sciatica.

Have you tried raising the head/feet to change the sheets? Ours is a full (not split) king, but because of our headboard and footboard I find it easier to just raise the mattress for changing the sheets.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought a 'bed in a box' type memory foam mattress 3 yrs ago for under $300. I love it! Prior to that I had a spring mattress purchased many years ago for over $1000... so that's my only comparison. I know I'll never go back to a spring mattress.
My son and DIL have one in their guest bedroom. It is the best bed I have ever slept in. All their company says that. When I need to replace mine, I will get the name of what they have. It came in a box and unfurled. That amazes me.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Have you tried raising the head/feet to change the sheets? Ours is a full (not split) king, but because of our headboard and footboard I find it easier to just raise the mattress for changing the sheets.

Cliff raises the head when he changes the bed. In fact that is the only time he ever raises the bed on his side. I semi-regularly get stuffy at night (probably because cats all want to be on my side). So I raise the head for awhile until I can breathe again. I put the new sheets on it last two times and went with the lay across the bed method; but I have to admit I spent more time smoothing the sheets out on my side than I did on his side.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, it's easier that way, but still, reaching those center top corners against the headboard is hard to do with a split king.

cerralee

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I shopped and shopped for a new mattress. Looked both in stores and online. Finally bought one at Bob’s Discount furniture. It’s a hybrid. Has both Springs and a cooling memory foam. One side is firm and the other side is plush. I had never seen a Queen size with two different firmnesses. I sprung for the adjustable base and I love it! I’ve been sleeping so much better.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Our's is supposed to be a "cooling memory foam" but hubby says it makes him hot.

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
I've decided that sleep is elusive no matter what kind of mattress I'm sleeping on.

I do keep the room AC on at a low temp---it seems to help a bit.